Why become a member? ×

Thinking about writing a John Entwistle Book...

HI all,

I'm considering writing a John Entwistle bass book, and just wanted to put some feelers out there and find out what you would all consider to be essential tracks for such a book?

Obviously things like The Real Me, Won't Get Fooled, My Generation etc will be in there, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Stu

[quote name='Galilee' post='196419' date='May 11 2008, 11:10 AM']I'd buy the book to get The Real Me anyway.[/quote]

+1

Dreaming From The Waist (Live) from the Maximum R&B Box Set is gorgeous and shows his awesome ability to improvise.

My Wife has to be in there too, Stu. Especially if it's the one from the same box set.

Great news anyway can't wait to get my sticky mitts on that book! :)

Edited by Sean

Wow, I'd definitely buy that! I spent 6 months perfecting the famed live WGFA (the Shepperton Studios one), and a book like this would have saved me a lot of time!

Most of his live stuff, especially towards the end of his life would be hard to transcribe though. I'd stay away from the periods where he used that horrible distorted synth sound, but then again that's just my own preference!

Some tracks that I'd include in addition to the ones you mentioned -

The Ox
A Quick One (While He's Away)
Call Me Lightning
The Kids Are Alright
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
Substitute
Heaven and Hell
5:15
Baba O'Riley
Success Story
Who Are You
Trick Of The Light
The Quiet One
You

So many....can you write 2 books? :)

I'd seriously consider Behind Blue Eyes. The song is in two distinct parts, the first part is quiet and acoustic and sees Entwistle using some nifty and very supportive scalar and chromomatic runs - but like everything that Entwistle did of a "supportive" nature it somehow sits on top rather than underneath. His note choices, feel and timing in this section are impeccable.

The second section of the song is louder, rockier and more uptempo. This track was recorded in the same sessions as "Won't Get Fooled Again" and his delivery style is similar but with very subtle differences to the former which, I think, would be a worthwhile exposition of how he could alter his technique ever so slightly yet achieve significantly different results.

Like most people, I sat for years listening to The Real Me thinking I would love to be able to play it live. Now I can, about 98% accurate. Its a crowd stirrer and I really get off playing it (not in a sexual way, you understand). JE never played it the same live anyway, always improvising on the main theme around C maj.

Any book on the great man would be on my shelf in minutes. Good luck Stu.