Why become a member? ×

Larry On Jools

KevB

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' timestamp='1353417782' post='1874730']
That ain't slappin', that's thumpin'!
[/quote]

Slapping, popping, thumping! Whatever you call it best thing I've seen on Jools for yonks IMHO of course. Got it recorded and will crank it up periodically to take away the blues!
Liked Ellie too, funny little voice but it did something for me!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353677337' post='1877289']
IMO, not quite as silly as the rest of the bunch of no hope, tattooed, beardy, droning wannabe's.
[/quote]

Nah, the rest don't have the imagination to go for 'silly'. I think 'dreary' might be the adjective you were after ;)

Larry and his band were fantastic.
Just look at the audience - and the other bands.

They all lapped it up. The funk does things to people. Good things.

Feel good music at its best.

This is one white boy that was checking out Larry's white suit and realising I could never in a million years pull that off. Much to my regret.

Larry's the man.

Larry Graham - still the King Of Slap in my book . The original and still the best . The ball-crushing power of his effortlessly funky slap style is undeniable . I am not a fan of the kind of carbaret pastiche that a lot of funk/soul " legends" all too often end up performing as , or of the uncritical sycophancy that usually accompanies theIr performances , but thankfully Larry transcends all of that with his sheer stature as a musician . Who would you rather hear slapping the bass than Larry Graham ?

On the contentious subject of Ellie Goulding , I would say that , while she has never been my cup of tea , she churns out the kind of innoffensive middle of the road "serious" pop music that fills the ipods of people of a certain age and she seems fairly competent within those parameters . Obviously , her performance at William and Kate's nuptuals has cemented her reputation with people of a certain level of taste and discernment ( i.e not much ) and no doubt her C.D will be flying out of the supermarkets in the run up to Christmas . The thing that struck me about her performance on Jools Holland was that she is obviously trying to revamp her image to be a bit more edgy and to reinvent herself as a more "credible" artist by the use of p.v.c trousers and additional percussion instruments . It's like she has said ( or the record company have said ) "I want it to be all serious and melodramatic like Florence And The Machine ! " It's a shame she can't quite pull it off , not least of all because I'm as big a fan of P.V.C trousers as the next man , but what do I know ? Maybe she will be able to convince the wider audience that she does in fact have depth and insight after all .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353677337' post='1877289']
IMO, not quite as silly as the rest of the bunch of no hope, tattooed, beardy, droning wannabe's.
[/quote]

I certainly wouldn't want to have to share a bathroom with them in rented accomodation , that's for sure .

Not sure I would ever have said LG 'invented' slap as we came to know it... as he always stroked the string as opposed to bounced into it.
World of difference and more akin to today's double thumbing, IMO... and that can't go down to Wotten, IMO as Abe L was doing that sort of thing 30 yearts ago..

But... the thing is LG has stayed 'fresh' whilst others like LJ, Flea and even MK sound decided dated from a style and sound POV.
The idea has moved onto where Wooten is now...but others are pased him in terms of developing the technique.
What rescues MK tho is his sheer panache and the same with LG...he is just so funky..it gets past everything

I guess it depends on what people accept as slap or humbing or whatever you want to call it...but the whole right hand is in play now...and for that you go back to Abe L..???