Why become a member? ×

Put me firmly in the Ricky 4003 Club

Highfox

I've done it!
Picked up a 2012 4003 in Midnight blue this afternoon:)
I had the luxury of trying out 4 different 4003 Ricks... 3 new 2012's and a 2005, they all felt and sounded pretty good to me (I'd of gone with any of them) which I wasn't really expecting after reading a lot of reviews where people say you need to try a lot to find a good one. Maybe the 2012's are all decent or I got lucky.
Got home and strapped on a used set of Labella flats and it sounds and plays the biz. Tomorrow I get to try it out with the band and have high hopes it will fit in nicely.

One draw-back was getting a rather worrying text message later in the day from the Wife, asking if I had gone mad spending that much on a bass!
I promised her I'd move one of the collection on and that seemed to smooth things out a bit.

I'll try get some pics up within the next couple of days.

Happy days indeed.

Hi Highfox;

It's good to hear another player liking their 4003 as much as I like mine. Congrats. I'm in the group of 2012 4003 owners also. I went for a Mapleglo 4003. I just like the way it sounds. and plays. I went with D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound strings. I hope you didn't mind the pic of my "Windy".

[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/36637LR.jpg[/IMG]

:) played it in anger for the first time with the band tonight, strung with flats and finger style it had more down low and mids than my P, no honk just very smooth.
The other guys in the band commented on how sweet it looks and sounded.
Thumbs up from me I'm a convert. I just need to get the treble bezel now to stop me losing my fingers in the whole left from taking the pick-up cover off lol.

Edit for pic.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90499974/me%20and%20Ricky.jpg yours truly a happy Boy. Edited by Highfox

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1352836593' post='1868219']
I've done it!
Picked up a 2012 4003 in Midnight blue this afternoon:)
I had the luxury of trying out 4 different 4003 Ricks... 3 new 2012's and a 2005, they all felt and sounded pretty good to me (I'd of gone with any of them) which I wasn't really expecting after reading a lot of reviews where people say you need to try a lot to find a good one. Maybe the 2012's are all decent or I got lucky.
Got home and strapped on a used set of Labella flats and it sounds and plays the biz. Tomorrow I get to try it out with the band and have high hopes it will fit in nicely.

One draw-back was getting a rather worrying text message later in the day from the Wife, asking if I had gone mad spending that much on a bass!
I promised her I'd move one of the collection on and that seemed to smooth things out a bit.

I'll try get some pics up within the next couple of days.

Happy days indeed.
[/quote]
Nice one Highfox, glad it worked out for you. I remember lusting after a Ric for ages before I got mine.
Been using my P bass lately, but you've just inspired me to use my Ric for our gig on Saturday night.

Congrats. Mr. JH has invested heavily in QC in the past few years, and all the current instruments produced by RIC are the best they've ever been, and only getting better.

Re: price - just do what I do - gig enough to pay for it. Your wife will understand. Mine does - I was in three bands when we got married; I'm in three bands still, all these years later. The bands have changed over the years, but the gig money makes the weekends worth it.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1354328069' post='1884984']
Congrats. Mr. JH has invested heavily in QC in the past few years, and all the current instruments produced by RIC are the best they've ever been, and only getting better.

Re: price - just do what I do - gig enough to pay for it. Your wife will understand. Mine does - I was in three bands when we got married; I'm in three bands still, all these years later. The bands have changed over the years, but the gig money makes the weekends worth it.
[/quote]

+1 to this.

Whenever I buy anything Bass related I tell myself that the gigs pay for it (which they do).

I'm in the market for a Ric currently! Got massive GAS for one aha still waiting to play one properly though only ever played my mates Dad's Ric which is from the 70s and somewhat in low quality but it was lovely! I'm quite liking the Candy Apple Red finish, looks so bright and eye popping :) Is there any negatives to your Ric at all?

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1354384009' post='1885452']
Is there any negatives to your Ric at all?
[/quote]

Only that I'm not touching any of my other basses!
tbh I'm still trying to get the right sound in the mix with it.... solo it sounds great. The right string combination and I think I'll be sorted.

Hi Highfox, cheers for the reply man, nice to know the build quality isn't hit and miss like previous years from what I've read, I'm pretty damn certain I'm gonna have flatwounds on my future Ric, always wanted to try flats properly and they just give a killer tone on a Ric!

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1354544100' post='1887155']
**cough**

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/8357-thomastik_jf344_4_string_jazz_flatwound_bass_strings_43_100"]http://www.stringsdi..._strings_43_100[/url]
[/quote]

I have just put those suckers on there now this weekend off my jazz bass but they seem too floppy.
I'm going to try it and them at rehearsal tomorrow and see how it goes.