Why become a member? ×

Warwicks

Viajero

I've been trying to figure this out, but haven't got a definite answer anywhere because it's all shrouded in Warwick advertising guff.

Is there a kind of ranking of the various Warwick models? The Rockbass versions of everything seem to be like entry-level versions, but is a Corvette superior to a Thumb, and what of a Streamer?

How do these relate to each other? What're the differences?

[quote name='Viajero' post='196034' date='May 10 2008, 03:56 PM']I've been trying to figure this out, but haven't got a definite answer anywhere because it's all shrouded in Warwick advertising guff.

Is there a kind of ranking of the various Warwick models? The Rockbass versions of everything seem to be like entry-level versions, but is a Corvette superior to a Thumb, and what of a Streamer?

How do these relate to each other? What're the differences?[/quote]

There is to an extent, but thats purely price based, so in answer to that, the highest ranking Warwick is a Streamer Stage II and then the cheapest being the Rock-Bass range which is as you've said Warwicks entry level series.

It's 100% personal preferences when it comes to which one is better, as mentioned some will go strictly for which is the more expensive with the mind set of "Ohhhh it's expensive, therefore it must be amazing" and in a good amount of cases they're right :) And then there are the guys who prefer to buy the mid-range and second hand stuff and usually alot of guys prefer Corvettes (Prolines, $$'s, Jazzman's) and Streamers(LX, Jazzmans, $$'s, Standards) over the top of the range W's, like: Buzzards, Dolphins, Vampyres, Strykers and then the NT Streamers and Thumbs. I'm part of the Warwick forum and there are countless members on there who even prefer Rock-Bass models over the higher models.

On paper you could say a SS II is better than a Corvette standard, due to much better woods, NT construction, 3-Way MEC electronics, Nifty Inlays, JAN 3, All Gold Hardware, but really if you can pick up the Corvette and get the tone you want and also feel comfortable then why worry about saving another £1500 instead of paying between £250-£450 on a secondhand Corvette. Another example base don my experiences on the Warwick forum, the Thumb NT is the highest in the series, and is one of the most popular basses within bassists around the world, yet some guys will get a Bolt-On version and will prefer it over a NT, and there is a good £500 or more difference between the 2 and a good amount of different attributes (As in different body woods, which do significantly change the tone), some guys just prefer the feel of a Bolt-On and are happy with the tones they can get and I respect that because I spite my own Thumb because it's not a NT, but that's just me.

You'd really have to sit down with a whole bunch of Warwicks to find the individual differences, but that famouns Warwick growl is a signature on most of the basses, it's just some of the basses do it better. And some guys love the basses that provide variety as well, like the $$, I personally can't see what the fuss is all about and thats from having one, but I can respect that some players prefer a greater tonal pallet than opposed to a Thumb which is more ideal for growly mids.

But for me, I'll be 100% happy when I've got a NT Thumb and a SSII, because their the most expensive :huh:

Edited by Josh

Easiest way to do it is look at the price :huh:

The NT basses are pretty much all of a similar standard (all CNC machined and made in the same factory) and the differences between the various models is obvious by the shape/woods/pups/electrics etc. I wouldn't say that a Dolphin was better than a Thumb or a Thumb better than a Streamer or a Stage I better than a Stage II... they are just different (is a P bass 'better' than a Jazz). The same applies for the BO range; Corvettes aren't better than Thumbs which aren't better than Streamers.... they are just different. In fact the BO range need not be classed as inferior to the NT they may well have the tone that 'you' prefer (though the BO are way cheaper to buy). However, as you rightly say, the Rockbass line are the entry level.

Joking aside; the way to 'rate' them for want of a better word is probably to look at the RRP :) (If it's £2000 it's top of the range, if it's £200 it'll be bottom) otherwise if picking between various basses in the same price bracket just go for which you like the sound of!

[quote name='Josh' post='196061' date='May 10 2008, 04:35 PM']There is to an extent, but thats purely price based, so to in answer to that, the highest ranking Warwick is a Streamer Stage II and then the cheapest being the Rock-Bass range which is as you've said Warwicks entry level series.

It's 100% personal preferences when it comes to which one is better, as mentioned some will go strictly for which is the more expensive with the mind set of "Ohhhh it's expensive, therefore it must be amazing" and in a good amount of cases they're right :) And then there are the guys who prefer to buy the mid-range and second hand stuff and usually alot of guys prefer Corvettes (Prolines, $$'s, Jazzman's) and Streamers(LX, Jazzmans, $$'s, Standards) over the top of the range W's, like: Buzzards, Dolphins, Vampyres, Strykers and then the NT Streamers and Thumbs. I'm part of the Warwick forum and there are countless members on there who even prefer Rock-Bass models over the higher models.

On paper you could say a SS II is better than a Corvette standard, due to much better woods, NT construction, 3-Way MEC electronics, Nifty Inlays, JAN 3, All Gold Hardware, but really if you can pick up the Corvette and get the tone you want and also feel comfortable then why worry about saving another £1500 instead of paying between £250-£450 on a secondhand Corvette. Another example base don my experiences on the Warwick forum, the Thumb NT is the highest in the series, and is one of the most popular basses within bassists around the world, yet some guys will get a Bolt-On version and will prefer it over a NT, and there is a good £500 or more difference between the 2 and a good amount of different attributes (As in different body woods, which do significantly change the tone), some guys just prefer the feel of a Bolt-On and are happy with the tones they can get and I respect that because I spite my own Thumb because it's not a NT, but that's just me.

You'd really have to sit down with a whole bunch of Warwicks to find the individual differences, but that famouns Warwick growl is a signature on most of the basses, it's just some of the basses do it better. And some guys love the basses that provide variety as well, like the $$, I personally can't see what the fuss is all about and thats from having one, but I can respect that some player prefer a greater tonal pallet than opposed to Thumb which is more ideal for growly mids.

But for me, I'll be 100% happy when I've got a NT Thumb and a SSII, because their the most expensive :huh:[/quote]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='196062' date='May 10 2008, 04:35 PM']Easiest way to do it is look at the price :huh:

The NT basses are pretty much all of a similar standard (all CNC machined and made in the same factory) and the differences between the various models is obvious by the shape/woods/pups/electrics etc. I wouldn't say that a Dolphin was better than a Thumb or a Thumb better than a Streamer or a Stage I better than a Stage II... they are just different (is a P bass 'better' than a Jazz). The same applies for the BO range; Corvettes aren't better than Thumbs which aren't better than Streamers.... they are just different. In fact the BO range need not be classed as inferior to the NT they may well have the tone that 'you' prefer (though the BO are way cheaper to buy). However, as you rightly say, the Rockbass line are the entry level.

Joking aside; the way to 'rate' them for want of a better word is probably to look at the RRP :huh: (If it's £2000 it's top of the range, if it's £200 it'll be bottom) otherwise if picking between various basses in the same price bracket just go for which you like the sound of![/quote]

SNAP :huh:

[quote name='Josh' post='196065' date='May 10 2008, 04:36 PM']You sank my Battleship![/quote]

Strangely enough [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Warwick_(D25)"]HMS Warwick[/url] was Sunk by U-boat 413 in 1944

i'll get me coat.

My Thumb 5 custom is actually [i]the best [/i]Warwick ever, but you can't have it.
:)

It's a thru neck, but made of Ovangkol like the bolt-on's, with an ebony fretboard. Never even touch the EQ 'cos there's no need.
I love her.

Edited by Gamble

I don't think there's a strict heirarchy in the Warwick model range. It seems to me that it's evolved over time.
It's almost as though the designers have an idea, say "let's try... [i]this[/i]!" Bingo! New design!
New design goes to market.
It either delivers a good margin at low sales volumes or a smaller margin at higher sales volumes.

Otherwise it falls by the wayside like other evolutionary dead-ends;
Infinity SN
Streamer Pro M
Fortresses (although the RockBass lives on...)
Streamer LX (now back from the dead!)
and so on.

I DO think that some of the more interesting and versatile models have/ will continue to survive;
The $$ (Streamer or 'Vette)
Streamer Jazzman
Dolphin

As for "better", then it's entirely personal! Go for what suits you best and delivers the sound/tone you're looking for. Assuming that you can stretch to the more expensive models, that is.

The cost mainly reflects the difficulty of manufacture and the quality of the woods and electronics used (as well as the number of strings!)
Rest assured, though. Most Warwicks are easily versatile enough to meet most needs. I've used my Infinty SN4 for Indie Rock, Metal and Folk gigs without problems. Some of the more aesthetically single-minded designs (Stryker, Buzzard, Vampyre) could be accused of looking a bit out-of-sorts at a Jazz gig!

I own two Warwicks. A '97 LX VI (Wenge Neck!) and a 2002 Infinity SN IV. Both are very well constructed, and sound good in their own way.

Thanks guys, great range of advice as ever. Reckon I'll spend next Saturday in the shops trying a few out.

What sparked this off, by the way, is playing a thru-neck fretless Thumb 5 from the mid-90s. Blew me away, but I couldn't afford the price tag. I saw some prices on new gear, and wondered what I might be missing out on in the cheaper models.

Cheers chaps!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='196126' date='May 10 2008, 05:55 PM']I don't think there's a strict heirarchy in the Warwick model range. It seems to me that it's evolved over time.
It's almost as though the designers have an idea, say "let's try... [i]this[/i]!" Bingo! New design!
New design goes to market.
It either delivers a good margin at low sales volumes or a smaller margin at higher sales volumes.

Otherwise it falls by the wayside like other evolutionary dead-ends;
Infinity SN
Streamer Pro M
Fortresses (although the RockBass lives on...)
Streamer LX (now back from the dead!)
and so on.

I DO think that some of the more interesting and versatile models have/ will continue to survive;
The $$ (Streamer or 'Vette)
Streamer Jazzman
Dolphin

As for "better", then it's entirely personal! Go for what suits you best and delivers the sound/tone you're looking for. Assuming that you can stretch to the more expensive models, that is.

The cost mainly reflects the difficulty of manufacture and the quality of the woods and electronics used (as well as the number of strings!)
Rest assured, though. Most Warwicks are easily versatile enough to meet most needs. I've used my Infinty SN4 for Indie Rock, Metal and Folk gigs without problems. Some of the more aesthetically single-minded designs (Stryker, Buzzard, Vampyre) could be accused of looking a bit out-of-sorts at a Jazz gig!

I own two Warwicks. A '97 LX VI (Wenge Neck!) and a 2002 Infinity SN IV. Both are very well constructed, and sound good in their own way.[/quote]

I never thought of my beloved Fortress as an evolutionary dead end! It's a 92 model, I got it second hand a few years ago. I wondered where it sat in the Warwick view of the world when it was released, so I emailed Warwick, and they told me! (low-mid bracket apparentely).

I've since upgraded the electronics and pups to current 3 band model (like the Streamer Stage 2), through a Warwick dealer. While I was there I tried a number of newer models, but to me they didn't feel as special as my old'un

I've got to agree with everyone who's saying that none are better than any other, and that doesn't just apply to Warwicks either. If it does the job (plays right/sounds right/looks right) then it's the best bass.
It's always nice to have the flashy expensive one, but sometimes it might not be the one for the job. Gotta try them to find out what's right for you, so find a shop with a good stock in and take a day off work!!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='196314' date='May 11 2008, 02:53 AM']Its quite a simple equation:

Warwick = C***[/quote]

How come dude? mines awesome. I u used to say i would never have a warwick cause the way they handle some of their buisness i.e status and blatent robbery from alembic and spector but as soon as i played one i had to have one.

you should give one a go.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='196314' date='May 11 2008, 02:53 AM']Its quite a simple equation:

Warwick = C***[/quote]

Pretty ignorant comment but hey, who cares what others think. Back to the question, Warwick makes different flavours at each level. I would say that their top of the range are the Thru' Neck models, followed by the European made bolt on's and then the far east made Rockbass. Within each level it really is personal preference.

TBH the various models sound different but in many ways share characteristics that as good a starting point as any is to select your price bracket (NT/BO etc) then try out the model that pleases you aesthetically, then go from there. Shallow I know but I've got to like what a bass looks like to get the best from it :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='196361' date='May 11 2008, 09:57 AM']TBH the various models sound different but in many ways share characteristics that as good a starting point as any is to select your price bracket (NT/BO etc) then try out the model that pleases you aesthetically, then go from there. Shallow I know but I've got to like what a bass looks like to get the best from it :)[/quote]

I'm with you John, it's partially the reason I dislike my Thumb BO, yes in all essence it's a Thumb bass and I get that Growl, but the looks are only slightly different to that of the NT's and I originally fell in love with the looks of the NT's, so until I actually have a NT Thumb I think I'll always dismiss my Thumb as a true Thumb.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='196421' date='May 11 2008, 11:11 AM']is this where i sign up to the Warwick clique?

what's the initiation like?[/quote]

"It's a Secret...."

Edited by Josh

[quote name='The Burpster' post='196436' date='May 11 2008, 11:38 AM']It probably involves cloaks secret handshakes and mumbling ancient runes.....

Or maybe just lederhosen a good ole thigh slapping and plenty of steins of zee best German lager....

You only find out when you buy one...

Apparently.... :)[/quote]

I think you know a little too much for one not initiated :huh: