Why become a member? ×

NBD - ACG Recurve S Type 6!

andydye

I know this bass has arrived because Mrs andydye has told me so, it's at home waiting for me to unwrap it and play it! I've just got these next unfortunate 3 hours or so before I get home from work...don't think I'm going to be very focused this afternoon :blink:

here's a link to the ACG page for it :gas: [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Available/19/"]http://www.acguitars...k/Available/19/[/url]

Sexy bass on the bed photos...
[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/sets/72157631967437610/[/media]

Edited by andydye

[quote name='KuzBass' timestamp='1352467271' post='1863450']
Uh, nice! Congrats! Be patient :) I have to wait much longer - one week (the other luthier though)! :)
[/quote]

It'll be worth the wait matey, have no doubt there!

[quote name='jonzbass' timestamp='1352467761' post='1863453']
Terrific bass.., I landed shortly my hands on her this summer, (un)fortunately my wife was here too, I could have bought this one :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Thanks matey, she's a beaut, am rather pleased you didn't buy it you know ;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352467775' post='1863454']
wooooooooo
[/quote]

why thankyou kind sir!

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1352467959' post='1863456']
Congrats matey! Can't wait to hear how you get on :)
I intend to take some reasonable pics of my ACG family this weekend, assuming the light is OK, we all expect you to do something similar ;)
Eude
[/quote]

Ta mucka, I'll give it a few days to settle my ears in to the completely new way of working a preamp and then let the world know how I'm getting on...

I look forward to seeing the family group matey!

A few pic of my own added now (albeit phone cam ones as I haven't had chance to play with my proper camera as yet!)

Hey man, how you getting on with the new bass?
It's an absolute peach!

(sorry, no new pics from me, was up a ladder painting ceilings all weekend, was dark before I got down, on Saturday and Sunday :( , maybe next weekend...)

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1352666579' post='1865934']
Hey man, how you getting on with the new bass?
It's an absolute peach!

(sorry, no new pics from me, was up a ladder painting ceilings all weekend, was dark before I got down, on Saturday and Sunday :( , maybe next weekend...)
Eude
[/quote]

Hiya matey,

I've had a couple of hours with it now and I can honestly say it's superb, solo it has a poise and clarity I've not known in a bass before and in the mix it has sufficient low and low mid impetus to power through in a classic rock style or mix in a bit of bridge pup and you've got fingerstyle funk but with more guts than any other bass I've had. Bridge pup only gives a superb solid quack.

It's heavy but beautifully balanced so that despite playing standing for a while my shoulder is fine and dandy! Its weight also translates into a real feeling of substance, in that, it feels real in your hand, not some pansy necked lightweight balsa nasty, but a glorious marriage of pieces of wood!

I'm sold.

The preamp is the dogs b€£&€$&s too, and with the pups, provides a vast array of possible tones, I played everything from abba, Jackson 5, wham, Texas, bad company, Steppenwolf, queen, Paul Simon, journey, mika, the fratellis, Whitney Houston and van Halen this evening and with a flick of a knob or two I got each bass sound close enough that it sat right in each track, mid peaks in the right places, everything!
Well impressed!!

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1352671501' post='1866013']
Hiya matey,

I've had a couple of hours with it now and I can honestly say it's superb, solo it has a poise and clarity I've not known in a bass before and in the mix it has sufficient low and low mid impetus to power through in a classic rock style or mix in a bit of bridge pup and you've got fingerstyle funk but with more guts than any other bass I've had. Bridge pup only gives a superb solid quack.

It's heavy but beautifully balanced so that despite playing standing for a while my shoulder is fine and dandy! Its weight also translates into a real feeling of substance, in that, it feels real in your hand, not some pansy necked lightweight balsa nasty, but a glorious marriage of pieces of wood!

I'm sold.

The preamp is the dogs b€£&€$&s too, and with the pups, provides a vast array of possible tones, I played everything from abba, Jackson 5, wham, Texas, bad company, Steppenwolf, queen, Paul Simon, journey, mika, the fratellis, Whitney Houston and van Halen this evening and with a flick of a knob or two I got each bass sound close enough that it sat right in each track, mid peaks in the right places, everything!
Well impressed!!
[/quote]

That's awesome mate!
My experience of ACGs is that they have a lot more guts too and the bridge pickup solo'd always sounds surprisingly full and punchy!

Nice :)

Eude

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1352676926' post='1866104']
I just love this bass. Congrats Andy.
[/quote]

Thanks matey, it's a keeper that's for sure! Not even sure if I need another ACG, maybe a bolt on 5'er with Black Limba body and some pleasing facing wood, 2 humbuckers and the preamp of doom...mmm that sounds like fun!

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1352714297' post='1866328']
That's awesome mate!
My experience of ACGs is that they have a lot more guts too and the bridge pickup solo'd always sounds surprisingly full and punchy!
Nice :)
Eude
[/quote]

Thanks matey, I was gobsmacked when I tried it in the mix, these are seriously amazing pieces of kit!

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1352720335' post='1866415']

Thanks matey, it's a keeper that's for sure! Not even sure if I need another ACG, maybe a bolt on 5'er with Black Limba body and some pleasing facing wood, 2 humbuckers and the preamp of doom...mmm that sounds like fun!

Thanks matey, I was gobsmacked when I tried it in the mix, these are seriously amazing pieces of kit!
[/quote]

I told you! :)
I can't recommend ACG basses enough, I know some folks might want something a little more traditional looking, and now there's a couple of more trad shapes available now, and with the Graft range you can be even more trad if you want. It's a one stop GAS shop!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1352722383' post='1866457']
I told you! :)
I can't recommend ACG basses enough, I know some folks might want something a little more traditional looking, and now there's a couple of more trad shapes available now, and with the Graft range you can be even more trad if you want. It's a one stop GAS shop!
Eude
[/quote]

You did indeed matey, I'm very much sold on Alan's creations!

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1352720335' post='1866415']

[/quote]

And so it begins..... You will be wanting more of them just like Eude and I.

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1352741403' post='1866861']
And so it begins..... You will be wanting more of them just like Eude and I.
[/quote]

absolutely matey...it's a very slippery slope!! :gas:

shonky phone cam pics replaced with 'sexy bass on the bed' pics

[quote name='marwood' timestamp='1352806007' post='1867561']
Think this is the nicest of Alan's range, just love the body shape. Heard that filter takes a while to get your head around, but once you do theres no looking back. Congrats!
[/quote]

Thanks matey, I'm so impressed with the preamp, it's enormously powerful! and yes it is taking a little while to get my head round but I'm already able to dial in appropriate sounds relatively quickly inbetween songs...time will only improve my ease with this monster!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1353804941' post='1878692']
Just lovely. I own Gallas No1 now and will not ever be parting with it. What a builder. Need more - yeah yeah - more more, brother.
[/quote]

Thanks matey! The more I play it the better it feels and sounds!! I have a notional spec for a second one but it's a few years away due to cash availability issues :-(

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1352806631' post='1867578']
Thanks matey, I'm so impressed with the preamp, it's enormously powerful! and yes it is taking a little while to get my head round but I'm already able to dial in appropriate sounds relatively quickly inbetween songs...time will only improve my ease with this monster!
[/quote]

Aaaaahhhhh! My fretless ACG build seems to be progressing well (same pre) and seeing this just increases the anticipation. I'll have to go and lie down in the dark with a damp flannel on my head now.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1354003781' post='1880589']
Aaaaahhhhh! My fretless ACG build seems to be progressing well (same pre) and seeing this just increases the anticipation. I'll have to go and lie down in the dark with a damp flannel on my head now.
[/quote]

You're going to love it! Don't forget to breathe ;)

Took it to a practice last night and it was just soooo good, any sound I needed was just there (60's thump, modern poppy slap, everything), and, despite being a 6 string I had absolutely no hand ache afterwards! The asymmetric neck profile is perfect!

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1354013116' post='1880712']

You're going to love it! Don't forget to breathe ;)

Took it to a practice last night and it was just soooo good, any sound I needed was just there (60's thump, modern poppy slap, everything), and, despite being a 6 string I had absolutely no hand ache afterwards! The asymmetric neck profile is perfect!
[/quote]

That's great to hear matey :)
The asymmetric profile is genius, combined with the flat fingerboard I assume yours has, you get a very VERY comfortable 6 string bass.
Due to me being a wee guy, I opted for a slimmer nut profile than usual too, at 52mm, just like a classical guitar, which makes the thing even easier to play - the beauty of a custom instrument :)

Finger crossed I'll be speccing up a 6 string fretless at some point next year, hopefully I can plump for the ACG EQ 03 for it too :yarr:

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1354013670' post='1880724']
That's great to hear matey :)
The asymmetric profile is genius, combined with the flat fingerboard I assume yours has, you get a very VERY comfortable 6 string bass.
Due to me being a wee guy, I opted for a slimmer nut profile than usual too, at 52mm, just like a classical guitar, which makes the thing even easier to play - the beauty of a custom instrument :)
Finger crossed I'll be speccing up a 6 string fretless at some point next year, hopefully I can plump for the ACG EQ 03 for it too :yarr:
Eude
[/quote]

Assymetric and flat is easily the best feeling neck I've ever met!

The eq03 is sublime! The active/passive switch is barely noticeable volume wise and the passive tone stack still works when in passive mode...genius!