Why become a member? ×

Problem with Rotosound E string

Jeverson28

I've just restrung/set up my bass and for some unknown reason the E string rattles really badly and I have no sustain whatsoever. I know it's not an action problem because it's a different kind of rattle (if that makes any sense at all).

Could it be something to do with the winding of the string itself, because the other strings in the pack were just fine? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Oh and the strings are Rotosound 45-105 Nickel roundwounds (RB45 I think)

I remember reading somewhere that Billy Sheehan stopped endorsing Roto's in the 90's because of QC issues and occasionally finding 'dead' strings in sets... been a loyal Swingbass player for years and never had this problem myself as far as I know, but then again I'm not entirely sure what would entail a 'dead' string- perhaps that could be what's happening here if you've not had this problem before on the same bass?

Reading this reminded me that a long time ago I had a string that did just that - soon after the anchor & it's winding separated from the string; I'd forgot all about it - and from now on will no longer be able to say "Never had a problem with them" :(
They are usually very good at back up though so yeah a phone-call and/or email should fix it.

A 'phone call will almost certainly get a new set in the post straight away, they're very good at customer service.

Be warned though - if Jason answers the 'phone - you'll probably be told more than you ever dreamed you wanted to know about strings, how they're made & why very rarely of course - you might get a duff one. :)

Cheerz, John

='KiOgon'
A 'phone call will almost certainly get a new set in the post straight away, they're very good at customer service.

Be warned though - if Jason answers the 'phone - you'll probably be told more than you ever dreamed you wanted to know about strings, how they're made & why very rarely of course - you might get a duff one. :)

Cheerz, John

MB1.
+ Twelvety!
Yes give them a call (excellent customer service)
Might help if you have the strings/box to hand when you make the call for any date/batch number.