Why become a member? ×

rehearsal in 2 weeks for a soul funk band in birmingham.. what track..

bubinga5

as the title says i have a rehearsal in 2 weeks for said band.. they are doing originals and some covers.. they have asked me to play the bass line to amy winehouse's valerie.. no probs there.. but they have also asked me to play a song of my choice.. .... i immediately thought of 'i wish' by Stevie Wonder... kick ass bass line that most people know and i can play with confidence...

just wondered if you guys had any other suggestions, that might be suitable.. needs to be fairly recognisable, up tempo, nothing too simple, and funky...

any thoughts..

Edited by bubinga5

Anything by 'Chic' matey. My soul band, perhaps now a bit funk too, have just started playing 'I wish'...great fun to play. Other easy cover suggestions would be 'Express yourself,'Move on up'' or 'Long train running'....but if they're proper funkateers then funk up Chameleon or some Jamiroquai B) ...May the funk be with ya brother!

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1352320345' post='1861706']
Anything by 'Chic' matey. My soul band, perhaps now a bit funk too, have just started playing 'I wish'...great fun to play. Other easy cover suggestions would be 'Express yourself,'Move on up'' or 'Long train running'....but if they're proper funkateers then funk up Chameleon or some Jamiroquai B) ...May the funk be with ya brother!
[/quote] yeah i was thinking Good Times by Chic... might be an obvious choice though, and doesnt really have many changes in it... thankyou dude...

Pick 2 or 3 tracks which YOU can really groove to... and if they don't work, you'll not want to join them.

If they do work...job done. Stay away from the cliches.... everyone will do them..and that doesn't make you stand-out..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1352319410' post='1861676']
as the title says i have a rehearsal in 2 weeks for said band.. they are doing originals and some covers.. they have asked me to play the bass line to amy winehouse's valerie.. no probs there.. but they have also asked me to play a song of my choice.. .... i immediately thought of 'i wish' by Stevie Wonder... kick ass bass line that most people know and i can play with confidence...

just wondered if you guys had any other suggestions, that might be suitable.. needs to be fairly recognisable, up tempo, nothing too simple, and funky...

any thoughts..
[/quote]

"I wish" is a great tune, I'd go with that, or maybe Michael Jackson's "Get on the floor".

Some Donnie Hathaway if they really know their stuff would be a good shout! Willie Weeks's stuff is mind-blowing.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1352324352' post='1861806']
Pick 2 or 3 tracks which YOU can really groove to... and if they don't work, you'll not want to join them.

If they do work...job done. Stay away from the cliches.... everyone will do them..and that doesn't make you stand-out..
[/quote]

+1 to this.

You had a track that immediately came to mind that you're confident with and fits within the bands style, stick with it. Confidence and ability to relax while playing the track will come across far better than choosing something that you feel might show off certain technical abilities better.