Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender Bass Oddity???

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1352112334' post='1858734']
There is that custom design/paint job Mustang that was done for a TV show in the Fender Bass Book. It could be that someone wanted a multi-coloured burst, and paid for a custom job.
I guess to do a multi-burst, you'd simply spray each colour over the whole body?!

Si
[/quote]

Also possible, who knows?

I'd love to find out more, but think any previous owner would already have done all the digging possible, and as there's no 'evidence' for any explanation, I guess thats as much as we'll [i]ever[/i] get, shame really, as there's probbaly a really interesting reason behind it's production?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352118218' post='1858855']
I don't use Talkbass very often, full of 'experts', who actually know very little.
This is true, I actually had an exchange with someone once on there, who said my '56 Precision was clearly a Telecaster bass with a changed serial number plate, because it had the single coil pickup, and not the split coil.......really. It is quite bad on there!
[/quote]

To be fair, Rick - that happens on every forum. It's not unique to TB.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1352119962' post='1858887']
To be fair, Rick - that happens on every forum. It's not unique to TB.
[/quote]

I'm sure, but personally, I find basschat far more 'honest', and people generally far more respectful than on other sites.

I actually found talkbass quite laughable in the end. I don't mind people having varying degree's of knowledge, but when they imply otherwise, I just don't get it. for example, I know nothing about Warwick's, so it wouldnt even enter my head, to contribute towards a thread where someones asking for advice on Warwicks, when it is obvious there are folk far more knowledgable to offer advice and comment. Talkbass though is different, everyone has an opinion (One based on fact...apparently) on everything. Not for me at all.

Talkbass is huge, so in some ways the worse aspects seem a lot worse.

Also, there are plenty of people on BC who are keen to dole out opinions on gear based on what they've read on Talkbass, or what someone down the pub told them.

What I'm trying to say is that there are people on TB and the FDP, who are very, very knowledgeable about Fender through the years. You just have to ignore the guessers.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352110280' post='1858698']I think the story could well be true, it could also have been a practice board for a new sprayer (As stated in previous response), that was assembled and played later on, could be anything really.[/quote]
Late 80s I saw something like this when I was in the States. It was a 60s era Telecaster. Didn't have as many colours - from memory, yellow/gold, blue, green, red. The story I was told was that it was a test/practice piece. Bodies/parts that had been rejected for some quality control issue were used.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1352124064' post='1858975']
Late 80s I saw something like this when I was in the States. It was a 60s era Telecaster. Didn't have as many colours - from memory, yellow/gold, blue, green, red. The story I was told was that it was a test/practice piece. Bodies/parts that had been rejected for some quality control issue were used.
[/quote]

Very likely, the thing that bugs me about that though, is that it would probably stay in the factory for some time, and even if it did resurface, it would probably have a mismatch of parts. This bass had neck, pots, pickup, bridge, tuners, neckplate, pickguard etc, all from '65, which would suggest it was assembled in the factory after spraying and used for something (There lies the mystery). Of course its possible someone obtained period correct parts for it and built it up much later on?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1352069455' post='1858480']
Before I parted with that kind of money for it though the least they could do is get an official verification from Fender for it?
[/quote]
This.

I'm not saying it isn't real, but yes, I'd want real proof and not just a smiling dealers "[i]yeah man, you can tell if you look in the neck pocket[/i]". Yawn.

Psst!!! I've got some magic beans for far less than $23k, if anyones interested, they are sitting on a pile of rockinghorse c*!p and if you look closely you may find some hens teeth in there too!

....I mean, surely without any evidence it's simply 'here say'....tis a fugly looking thing and very badly finished whats left of it. Looks like it been used for hammering in fence posts at some time.

If the 'story' has any creadence this means previous owners knew the provenance of this bass, a Fender's never been cheap to buy, I would of thought it may of been better cared for being a one off....?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1352112334' post='1858734']
There is that custom design/paint job Mustang that was done for a TV show in the Fender Bass Book. It could be that someone wanted a multi-coloured burst, and paid for a custom job.
I guess to do a multi-burst, you'd simply spray each colour over the whole body?!

Si
[/quote]

It was The Partridge Family - but that was one of THE biggest shows on tele both in US and UK in the early/mid 70s, and would have had the budget/influence/product placement potential to get it done - funnily the bass only had Fender on it (presumably so not to advertise the Ford car of the era for nothing!). The design was a bit more cohesive than this 65 one though.

I think you're right in your assessment of the bass.