Why become a member? ×

Lucie - Uber Deluxe Jazz V

apa

Ok this is my "Because I can" bass. Im a bit hesitant at putting this one up as Im sure most will think 'eww snot burst' etc but Im begining to love this one as a mother loves a son :)
Ive put a few pics of the build to. She started out as a Squier VM 5 string which had been mucked about with. To be fare the sound was good but with a nasty respray on the neck and a Fender decal I didnt feel too bad about changing what is a perfectly good base bass. So heres what I did..........
1. Cut the end off the heel and stuck an extra 1" to make it a 35" scale. Thanks to ou7shined for that extra inch ;)
2. Machined off the maple fretted fingerboard and replaced with a rosewood fretless machined from a blank.
3. Filled in the 4+1 holes on the head and redrilled for a 5 in line and used mini Wilkinsons.
4. Veneered the head and heel to hide all the holes etc.
5. Filled in the control cavity and machined out a rear cavity.
6. Made an Oak burst scratch plate with Sycamore control plate.
7. Pickups changed for custom wound Wizard 74's.
8. Bridge changed for High Mass with Piezo.
9. 18v U-Retro preamp with Piezo pre with 4 stacked knobs:
Master Vol/(Piezo-JJ Blend)
Treble/Bass
Mid/Mid Sweep
Piezo Treble roll off/Jazz Blend
10. Resprayed body/head Antigia (well sort of)
11. 6 screw neck fixing.
12. Through body stringing at rear of bridge.
I think thats about it!
Had a hell of a job finding strings. With the extra inch and the strings going through body at the rear of the bridge I needed 38 1/2" of speaking length but didnt want rounds on it. Thanks to a great guy on TB I founf the Roto flats extra long plus the extra long B fit just perfect :D.
Sound wise its very versatile. I should [email="bl@@dy"]bl@@dy[/email] well hope so with 3 pickups!! Not alot of 'mwah' at the moment, Im still getting the action right, but its got quit a bit of growl and the B is pretty good even if i say so myself. One very nice mix is the J bridge with a bit of mid and treble plus a bit of piezo with its treble rolled off.
Im realy not sure about the colour but its growing on me! I wanted it a bit darker and less green to be honest but it all depends on what light you look at it in. Sometimes its very very green, then its more grey. Very odd!!
Those Roto flats are lovely. I was going off Rotos in general but these are exellent. Nice high tension with the 35" (Actually 35 1/4") and a uniform tone over all 5 strings. I had had it set up strung through the bridge with both Chromes and Status half wounds and I was worrying about the tone but once I did it through body with these Rotos she came to life. Highly recomended :D
So here she is. My 'Because I can' Bass Lucie. Love her or hate her shes my baby :P
What she started out as.....

Some build pics including proof that the blocks are inlays, how I did the burst and a close escape with the truss rod!!

The end result..............................

Go on admit it.... you hate it :P
A

Edited by apa

i love everything except the colour really (which might grow on me) that's some incredible work you've managed, if it were fretted i'd be bugging you to sell it to me!
the detail that you've gone to is fantastic. the veneering on the headstock looks perfect and the control and scratchplates wouldn't look out of place on a 3k custom bass.
well done Sir!

Matt

• 3 months later...

That bridge looks like a slightly refined version of the one created by a friend (John Drake) who I believe sold them to Overwater at one time.

Any idea where the bridge is manufactured?

P.S. That isn't even close to genuine snotburst.
I will get my camera out and post a piccy of my snotburst (bogey green through mucus cream) dano baritone when I get time.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1361283691' post='1983848']
That bridge looks like a slightly refined version of the one created by a friend (John Drake) who I believe sold them to Overwater at one time.

Any idea where the bridge is manufactured?

P.S. That isn't even close to genuine snotburst.
I will get my camera out and post a piccy of my snotburst (bogey green through mucus cream) dano baritone when I get time.
[/quote]

Thats very interesting about the bridge. Its actually a cheapo of ebay but came all the way from Canada!! One of the intonation screws decided to sheer off a while ago and the thread is not the same as a standard bridge. Its slightly larger in dia. Dont suppose your mate John would have a spare lying around would he?

Oh and I know its not a real snotburst. Just my take on it with a couple of rattle cans :D I was deliberatly not going to go too green since I already have a green (GRB) one. But pics of the real thing are always welcome :)

A

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1361730680' post='1990020']
I tried calling him and realised I no longer have his # so this could take a while.
[/quote]

Have you tried guessing it? I mean how many permutations can there be? :blink: B)

Ill start you off................... 0

:D

A

EDIT: They are quit common on Ebay...............

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=bass+bridge+piezo+5&_sacat=0&_from=R40"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=bass+bridge+piezo+5&_sacat=0&_from=R40[/url]

Edited by apa

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1361744481' post='1990281']
having tried this bass i have to admit it's good despite having too many strings and active circuitry.
Some questions:
I take it that Wizard 74's are half way between 64's and 84's?
Why did you go for that type of pickup?
Did they charge you much extra for them?
I'm thinking of putting some 64's in my new fretless.
[/quote]

I remember it well Dom :) I also seem to remember commenting that you had the same piezo bridge as discussed above on one of your bitsa's only it was black and 4 string. :)

Yes the 74's are half way between the hot 84's and trad 64's. I got them because I already had the other two types. 64's in Ani the fretless BRG Jazz that I had with me on the day if you remember and 84's in a stock VM jazz. With hinesight I think I would put 64's in this one too. The 74;s dont really sound that good. Now it may be my building or the bespoke U Retro (No prizes for what my money is on) but they sound dull but also way too hot compared to the 84's. Its odd. They remind me of a G&L style pickup. All a bit OTT. While the 84's in the fretted VM sound lovely. Not OTT at all. If you want a set for a fretless definatly go 64's and traditional. They are very nice pickups indeed. Hot and fretless dont go together for me.

Also Andy (Wizard) isnt too keen to do bespoke jobs these days as far as Im aware. 74's are not standard (He doesnt even call them 74's I think its a BC thing :blink: ) so you have to ask him to make them. I had to order some blank bobbins from the US and send them to him to be wound. He charged about £35 each I think. He is quick when he does do them though :)

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1361744953' post='1990296']
I recognise that bridge! I have one in black from Canada. The piezo element on the D is not quite seated properly which is a pain cos it is quieter than the rest. Did you have any problems?

Thanks
[/quote]

Nope its a very good quality piezo for the money. Exellent sound out of it. All very equal output from each saddle. Not too sensitive or feedbacky. Only the intonation screw sheering which is a pain.

A

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1361745247' post='1990310']
CH Guitars do them too (I have a couple)
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-string-Bass-Piezo-bridge-B41-/130818307588?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item642495fccd"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item642495fccd[/url]
[/quote]

I think the only reason I got mine from Canada was because CH didnt do the 5 string version. And yes you do, Ive seen one :)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1361745800' post='1990321']
I think the only reason I got mine from Canada was because CH didnt do the 5 string version. And yes you do, Ive seen one :)

A
[/quote]
Ahah! the penny drops, I suppose another reason for the custom pickups was that Wizard don't do 5's.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1361746165' post='1990334']
Ahah! the penny drops, I suppose another reason for the custom pickups was that Wizard don't do 5's.
[/quote]

Exactly :D Hence me having to buy a set of empty bobbins and send them to him. He wouldnt make up a 5er set. He would only wind an existing as if it were a repair. I think they may be the only set in existence! :blink:

A