Why become a member? ×

Suggest good bass for B E A D detuning...

robocorpse

Hi. I'm currently depping in a downtuned band, and using my trusty Steinberger XM tuned to low B/E/A/D.
I am unhappy about taking this expensive beauty on the road round the toilet circuit in case of loss or damage, and i am looking for 4 STRING recommendations around the 200-300 quid range (used price) that I could feel a little safer using, and will happily take 45-105 or 50-110 in this tuning (I like the flap). Has to have well defined top and bottom end for horrid raspy sound (think Stingray-ish). I also would prefer something short, as I am used to using the super-short Steinberger, so anything longer than a P-Bass is right out of the question. Also need something capable of super low action. Am I asking too much as I am so used to the Steiny? Any suggestions?

I'm not going to suggest a brand, rather, I'm going to suggest some design features to look for:
1) as with any bass, good overall construction with reputable quality
2) neutral pickups (neither scooped, which will keep the B string overtones from contributing to the overall tone, or overwound, which would cause too much midrange and blur the fundamental
3) soapbar style to cover the tonal range and physical range
4) placement: "neck" pickup placed the same, proportionally, as where the D-G segment of a P-bass pickup is for a good blend of fundamental and overtones to help the strings speak, or possibly just a hair closer to the bridge. Too close to the neck, and you lose overtones and the bass gets thuddy in the lowest register. Too close to the bridge, and you lose fundamental. The bridge pickup where a '60's J-bass pickup is placed for a good contrast.

I have been thinking Warwick or Spector possibly (so far), or possibly a Sub Ray, but will look into the suggestions offered. Has to be a 4 ideally, I don't get on with the extra width of 5s, and I will never use the top string in this band (hell, I only need the bottom 2 strings for 99% of the material, LOL!) Not sure a P-Bass will do the necessary overtones and clunk tho. Anyone got any opinions on Cort Curbows for this application?

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1350552753' post='1840327']

The RBX with DiMarzios for sale on here at the moment for £185 (I think) would be perfect!

[/quote]

+1

That would be a perfect bass for what you want, 4 string, slim fast neck, very well built and killer sounding (especially with the Dimarzio pickups)