Why become a member? ×

MUSICMAN STINGRAY 1976 For Sale pre-Ernie Ball

edbass77

[size=4]Hello,[/size]
[size=4]Yes I know I'm a newbie but this forum has been recommended by my muso friends as the appropriate arena to advertise a very early 1976 Stingray. Serial B002005.[/size]

[size=4][color=#333333]I was lucky to come across this bass in Abilene, Texas in 2011.[/color]

[color=#333333]Neck has been refurbed by Martin Sims at the SIMS Custom Shop with the original vintage tint to match the headstock. The original nitrocellulose was almost none existent so made the decision to have it fully refurbished with new frets, a new nut and new lacquer. The result is what can only be described as a neck in absolutely excellent condition. The truss rod works fine.[/color]

[color=#333333]Scratch plate is original and surprisingly good with no cracks.[/color]
[color=#333333]Natural body has only minor dents - lacquer has peeled a bit off the back. [/color]

[color=#333333]2 band EQ works. Pots ok.[/color]

[color=#333333]Strung with a new set of EB strings. [/color][/size][color=#333333]Comes with fitted hardcase.[/color]
[color=#333333]Photos can be found -[/color]
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9g7skdegel4449w/YoinKCc3kJ"]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9g7skdegel4449w/YoinKCc3kJ[/url]

£1500

Thanks

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350471741' post='1839211']
Glad someone else noticed this too! Possibly stripped SUB?
[/quote]
It does look very like some pictures I've seen of a stripped USA Sub but they had a 6 bolt neck plate and so probably 4 of those holes would be visible with a 3 bolt attachment plate fitted - I can't see any trace of them. Solid coloured Stingrays may well have used body woods which were not the most aesthetically pleasing- maybe this is one of them stripped and re-finished?

They did use alternatives to ash sometimes for Stingray bodies, including poplar, alder and there are even a couple of examples known with mahogany. I'm sure the bass is genuine, I've seen it mentioned on other forums. A non ash body and clear tint is unusual though and I wanted to know if the OP could shed any more light on the matter.

Ahh great to see you on here Ed, i can vouch for Ed's credibility and genuineness (and superb bass work) . I was originally asked to put this up for sale on behalf of Ed but due to recent study commitments i haven't had the time. Anyhow just wanted to give Ed some support as a newbie....someone will get a lovley bass no doubt too :)

Lee

Has it still got the '76 preamp/dated pots and the pickup with the longer poles? I would of thought the early rare parts like the TM logo neck, different pup, '76 preamp and unstamped bridge would be worth that much alone? what date stamps has the neck and body got? sorry if I missed any of that info from the other posts :)

Thanks Lee :)
Pete, not sure about preamp/dated pots as I am no connoisseur on these. Bridge has a stamp under the springs "Music man Pat. Pend."
The necks and neck plates can be older than the bodies from what I've read. I recall the neck being stamped Nov 1976 before refurb. Body was 77 I think.
Ed

B002005 is really low, they started at 1000. Can't get the database site working for some reason.

My opinion is that this has been refinished from a sold colour, even Fender choose nicer looking pieces of wood for natural finishes, MM are often 1 piece for all natural.

I don't doubt it's authenticity and it's almost a piece of MM history. Without looking at the pots etc everything appears to be correct, even the angle of the transfer (they went slightly lower on the MM end in 1979-1980) although its lost its damper screw/springs.

Hope you find a good home for it, fascinating bass (if I had the wherewithal I'd be delighted at that price and would save further for a solid colour refinish).

Edited by 4 Strings

Its the right format of numbers to agree with standard, could be a replacement pot, of course if this was a well used bass 16 years of use may have required a replacement. The type (137) is the same and so this makes no difference to the actual function of the bass. Of course it may bring into question originality, maybe of the pot, but I suppose just need to consider how important this is.

Certainly didn't have 3 bolt adjustable neck mounting in '92 and the rest (bridge, transfer, tree, tuners etc) which features on this bass. I suppose a look at pups and preamp may shed some more light, especially if the refinishing has lost the neck and body stamps - even if they were there originally which wasn't always the case by any means.