Why become a member? ×

Nerves.........why me?

Leen2112

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1349789817' post='1830540']
there is a youtube video of the particularly bad gig where during the guitar solo over 13/16 i just kind of stopped!!![/quote]

And at least you know what 13/16 is - which gives you an advantage over most of us! :lol:

I assumed that people don't notice bass mistakes because they listen differently from me. But now I think about it, in years of hearing other bands, I can't remember ever hearing a bass player make a mistake. So either, when I'm in the audience my ears switch off like everyone else's, or it really is only me that makes mistakes.

Anybody else do that thing of playing the wrong note then waiting till the next verse comes nd playing the same one wrong again on purpose........ that's jazzzzzzz !!!

I doubt many folk forget who plays bass in our band. It may well be that there are higher and more satisfying ways to be imortal but if I can keep them saying 'he was a foul mouthed fat bastard with an overly offensive T shirt and a stupid flowery bass and a voice like a fog horn' then I'll remain happy.

I find all this reassuring. I try not to get too uptight , because then you worry about being uptight etc.
I can almost guarantee that , when we do play - which TBH isn't that often these days, that I'll get" Brain - Fog" at some point , and forget something that should be effortless - we don't even play complicated stuff!!! It does annoy me though.

The mind wandering as said above somewhere, can be a problem " Oh look at them leaving/having a good time/starting a fight..." " I need a pee...."

A few years ago after a lay-off of 10 years at our return first gig we did a cover of a Maria McKee song " I've Forgotten What is Was in You, That Put the Need in Me" Guess what , I'd completely forgotten.Don't think I played any of it right came in on a big sliding note - the wrong one, of course :blush: - think I turned down & pretended to play- still haunted by it and still get very nervous about playing it .

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1349794216' post='1830624']
Which can be a problem at times, and just shows that nobody is immune! :rolleyes: :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrO6CI41KEg[/media]
[/quote]

"2112 gone wrong"? I'd pay good money to be able to recover seamlessly from such a mistake like Rush did. The uploader obviously never played live

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1349862460' post='1831348']
Anybody else do that thing of playing the wrong note then waiting till the next verse comes nd playing the same one wrong again on purpose........ that's jazzzzzzz !!!

[/quote]

We had a gig in June which was the first for a long time, with one rushed rehearsal. As I hit a glorious sequence of notes in completely the wrong position, I thought "Better not do that again, people will think it's jazz.". And then proceded to make exactly the same mistake three times (and no, not on purpose).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1349785036' post='1830432']
...the guitar player and I played a 12-bar blues in which we played the whole thing a semi-tone apart (he was in Bb, I played it in B). What''s more, we alternated so, after each chorus, we swapped. No-one noticed. You may be agonising over that sharpened 5th but, trust me, no-one else is, possibly not even the rest of your band.
[/quote]

Taxed - can't wait for the next 'dinner' gig.