Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DADG tuning

mentalextra

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1349716243' post='1829548']
Does your tuner pick up any note, or is it fixed at EADG via a slider / selecter. If the latter, set it to D and all should be well.
[/quote]

I thought setting it to "chromatic" would do it, but it doesnt seem to work? So, I am looking at tuning the E standard but at the second fret to give "d"?

Edited by mentalextra

I've got three :blink: One built into my Crate practise amp which has no problems, one of those dinky little plastic Korg ones that my niece currently has on loan & a cast metal Danelectro pedal one which always struggles to pick up an open E. I just fret it at the fifth when I'm doing the A.

Tune your A, D, G strings as normal. Then tune the low D so the 5th fret harmonic is the same note as the 12th fret harmonic on your high D string. When you're close, you'll hear the two notes "beating" against each other, and the closer you are the slower the beat frequency. When there's no beats, you're in tune. Simples.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1349766873' post='1830107']
Just one of those plastic cheapy things
[/quote]

Mine's an old Yamaha chromatic tuner, cost about £15 at the time and it works fine. For less than £20 you should be able to get a great tuner which will do it - well worth the money IMO (especially if you want to set up your bass, change string gauges etc etc).

Failing that, you'll need to use your ears as suggested above.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1349766873' post='1830107']

Just one of those plastic cheapy things
[/quote]

Quite often cheap tuners will struggle to track the very bottom end of the range on a bass, so you'll have no lick going below standard tuning. Tins if good workarounds already posted though!

• 3 weeks later...