Why become a member? ×

A Change Of Mind

Exile252

After thinking long and hard, I've decided I'd rather play it safe and go for another Fender Jazz bass instead of a Musicman. But I'm at odds between the Marcus Miller sig Jazz or the Geddy Lee sig bass. What do you guys think?

[quote name='Exile252' post='192543' date='May 5 2008, 11:05 PM']After thinking long and hard, I've decided I'd rather play it safe and go for another Fender Jazz bass instead of a Musicman. But I'm at odds between the Marcus Miller sig Jazz or the Geddy Lee sig bass. What do you guys think?[/quote]

how many boring fender guys get the girls eh! Its all about the out there basses! I play a bongo and have an entourage of skantily clad ladies!*

They are very different tonally though, what music will you be playing?

[size=1]*I just dont though really.[/size]

All sorts really, though I'm looking at price aswell, both the Lee and Miller basses are half the price of a MM.

Another reason why I'm thinking differently, someone on my course said everyone uses the MMs, and thinking about it, they do seem rather popular ^_^

I have a US97 standard jazz. Wonderfull bass. I decided that with a significant birthday approaching this year I would buy a vintage P. After all I already have a great jazz! So before I tried some vintage stuff I thought I'd dabble with some new p's to get a bit of perspective. In the shop was a Marcus Miller. Within 0.2 seconds I knew I was going to buy it. I find it superb! The neck and action are incredible, it weighs in a bit lighter than my US jazz and the active is just right for me. I'm a fairly aggressive player, so if you roll abit of tone off what you put in with the fingers doeasn't become too much.

I am certainly no expert, but please try one. If the Geddy sigs are built as well as the Marcus sigs then I would imagine that these are well worth a look. Very possibly the same experience minus the active and of course the beautiful pearl block inlays.

Good Luck

I really enjoyed my Geddy, well made bass, sounded great. It does have an ultra slim profile and I changed back to a normal jazz profile...that's not to say it's a problem with the Geddy, far from it, just my stupid shovel hands eventually got tired :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='192610' date='May 6 2008, 02:08 AM']I do love the look of a white Marcus Miller bass. That Belgian chap on youtube seems to like his, too.[/quote]

That Belgian chap? Sounds interesting :)

Thanks for the help there, I think I'll go for the Marcus Miller in white, and after some time, add a hipshot d-tuner to it.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='192555' date='May 5 2008, 11:40 PM']how many boring fender guys get the girls eh! Its all about the out there basses! I play a bongo and have an entourage of skantily clad ladies!*

They are very different tonally though, what music will you be playing?

MB1. :)
"I play a bongo and have an entourage of scantily clad ladies!"
Maybe they think its the queue for the toilets!
The Bongo still looks like a toilet seat!.......... designed by BMW or not!

[size=1]*I just dont though really.[/size][/quote]