Why become a member? ×

Starter Amp

sutty86

ok guys,
as you can obviously tell im a complete NOOB/Novice when it comes to basses,
got myself a cracking Lefty Gsr200 for dirt cheap and being on a budget( bloody wife going mad at all my hobbies, she reckons midlife crisis already)
im out to get an Amp.

been borrowed a 40w Rocket Amp from a good friend
but also been offered to buy a
Ashdown After Eight 15w at £50
Cruiser amp 25w at £20
and finally
a Gear4music 35w at £35
which would be the better amp to get????

If you can stretch to around £100 then you'd be in the ballpark for a much better amp like a Line6 Lowdown 110 or Roland Bass Cube 30. Search the marketplace here for a secondhand bargain.

Also, try searching this forum for 'practice amp' - there are a few threads asking similar questions and are packed with advice :)

I have an Ashdown tourbus 10 just for practising in my apartment, seems to do an ok job you dont need to pay too much for a practice amp as I guess you can then put money towards a big amp for jamming with others when you need it. iy has an input for an mp3 player too which is useful for practise

I have an ashdown perfect 10 for practice. I would think there are better sounding practice amps out there but for me it's great. I rehearse a lot at night so the headphone jack is a godsend plus the mp3 input allows you to play along to tracks all in one unit. I think I saw one in the classifieds or eBay recently for under £50.