Why become a member? ×

The wonders of the Fender Jazz

Musicman20

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1349182282' post='1822857']
I have been giving my 2008 Jazz a run out again of late and been liking it's honk. TI flats with the bridge on full, neck on half and tone half-way, not lacking in any lows through a 212.

That's why I like to have a few bass's to swap and change.
[/quote]You like having a FEW basses to swap around cos you've got gas like everybody else on here,(including me)

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1349198368' post='1823190']
You like having a FEW basses to swap around cos you've got gas like everybody else on here,(including me)
[/quote]

Think your right and it seems to be related to all types of bass gear.. and seems incurable! lol

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1349181564' post='1822827']
So far, still very happy. Part of me wants to get a matching Jazz with a glossed maple board...but that is the collectors side of me coming out.
[/quote]

Gareth remember you will soon be taking delivery of your tangerine pearlescent Bongo, at which point everything in the world of bass will fit into place.................glad you're enjoying your Jazz though.

In the meantime, just boost the mid range on your amp a little to overcome the scooped sound if you feel the need - but remember the audience may not be hearing quite the sound you do on stage. I do this sometimes with my Stingray 2 band in a guitar heavy mix (well to be precise a guitar mix where they're playing in similar sonic territory as the bass - but possibly at or near their soloing volume). I find with a Stingray HH, particularly in the 2 humbucker setting, I like to boost the mid control on the bass a little and cut the bass control a little. I think it's the same issue to be honest - clearly you'd need to control it from a box or the amp if you're using a passive or 2 band EQ Jazz.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1349209161' post='1823423']
Gareth remember you will soon be taking delivery of your tangerine pearlescent Bongo, at which point everything in the world of bass will fit into place.................glad you're enjoying your Jazz though.

In the meantime, just boost the mid range on your amp a little to overcome the scooped sound if you feel the need - but remember the audience may not be hearing quite the sound you do on stage. I do this sometimes with my Stingray 2 band in a guitar heavy mix (well to be precise a guitar mix where they're playing in similar sonic territory as the bass - but possibly at or near their soloing volume). I find with a Stingray HH, particularly in the 2 humbucker setting, I like to boost the mid control on the bass a little and cut the bass control a little. I think it's the same issue to be honest - clearly you'd need to control it from a box or the amp if you're using a passive or 2 band EQ Jazz.
[/quote]

True.

Last night I gave my Ray 5 HS some much needed TLC. This meant changing the two year old stock strings, and the battery. Oh. My. God.

The sheer power and rich tone blew the Jazz away. The Jazz is great, but the Ray 5 HS sounds amazing.

if you want lots of power in the low end a jazz cant compete with a SR 5 HS, i totally dig those basses... but i think for an awsome slap tone and great articulation a 75 in particular has it hands down... nothing like a jazz bass with 70's spacing... just my opinion of course

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1349210468' post='1823455']
Some people will disagree with you - but wait till you get that Bongo!!! The bass EQ control alone is a wonder to behold - can damage structures instantaneously!!

If you haven't tried them, EB Grp 3 flats on a Ray are wondrous. Possibly on a Jazz as well.
[/quote]

I've got them on my Ray 4 H which I've gigged a fair bit...and I got used to them. They can seem quite tough to play once you are used to normal Slinkys but they sound great.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1349181564' post='1822827']
I definitely see why people love the Jazz. Its a lovely design...great aesthetics.

I am still wowwed by the slap tone (although I barely ever slap). I wouldn't see any reason to opt for a Sadowsky over this Jazz as the passive tone is fantastic, and the Tonehammer adds a wonderful touch. Its well made and lightweight.

I think I much prefer the ''rough' Fender Jazz tone over a more polished boutique tone.

So far, still very happy. Part of me wants to get a matching Jazz with a glossed maple board...but that is the collectors side of me coming out.
[/quote]

I sometimes run my unmodified Jazz basses through an outboard Sadowsky preamp if I want that polished boutique Jazz tone, best of both worlds.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1349210234' post='1823449']
if you want lots of power in the low end a jazz cant compete with a SR 5 HS, i totally dig those basses... but i think for an awsome slap tone and great articulation a 75 in particular has it hands down... nothing like a jazz bass with 70's spacing... just my opinion of course
[/quote]
This.
That little extra space makes the world of difference. I do find the BPU lacking in bottom end though on mine so I have to dial in a bit of NPU, but when I do the sound is very different from the 60s spacing - more growly :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1349250507' post='1823732']
I sometimes run my unmodified Jazz basses through an outboard Sadowsky preamp if I want that polished boutique Jazz tone, best of both worlds.
[/quote]

Ay, agreed! Best of both. That is why I bought the TH pedal...to get an active bass but without the need to change anything on the bass itself. Plus it can be used with ALL of my basses.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1349210234' post='1823449']
[/quote]

Oh no I agree. Its unfair to judge passive Jazz to a Ray 5 HS when we are talking about sheer power etc, but I was referring more to the actual quality and richness of tone that the Ray prduces.

I wouldn't mind a 70s position pup Jazz but I wouldn't want to pay the current prices for a 75 Fender J Reissue. A Sadowsky in that format would be nice, but again I don't think Sadowsky has the grunt and edge that the original Fender sound does.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1349267783' post='1823991']
Oh no I agree. Its unfair to judge passive Jazz to a Ray 5 HS when we are talking about sheer power etc, but I was referring more to the actual quality and richness of tone that the Ray prduces.

I wouldn't mind a 70s position pup Jazz but I wouldn't want to pay the current prices for a 75 Fender J Reissue. A Sadowsky in that format would be nice, but again I don't think Sadowsky has the grunt and edge that the original Fender sound does.
[/quote]

Why not try the MIM classic series jazz?

Almost as good as the US 75 reissue (I've got both) and 1/3 of the price plus you get the 70s PU spacing which 99% of the MIJ versions I've seen don't.

I do find that the 70s PU spacing gives a little more range to the possible sounds but there's not a thing wrong with the 60s spacing either.

It's hard to beat a jazz for all-round usefulness. :D

Frank.