Why become a member? ×

Anybody Remember - Renia - 70's UK Rock Group?

bagsieblue

As per the title ( but in the hope of attrcting a wider audience and as posted in the Warwick thread: - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/52590-warwick-thread/page__st__320

I have a Warwick Corvette Fretless (defretted) - with a Bass Centre Receipt for a second hand sale of this to Mr Malcolm Sutherland dated 14/12/2000.
Google leads me to a band named Renia with a bass player named Malcolm Sutherland.
Anybody know any more about this band / bassist?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbwj_9Ba90E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbwj_9Ba90E[/url]

A reasonable sounding band that just didn't quite make it, watch this to show how REAL musicians had to do it before x-factor and the like.

Review from 2007 re-release of their one and only album 'First Offenders' :
Renia's sole output is a pretty dull UK early 70s rock album. There is some nice organ runs to keep it from being a total yawner, but ultimately this is the kind of album that make Fantasy's "Paint a Picture" seem like speed metal by comparison. Comparisons to Humble Pie wouldn't be out of place, minus the versatility of said group. Only track to put it in high gear is called 'Slow Down' ironically enough.

• 7 years later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2012 at 19:54, bagsieblue said:

As per the title ( but in the hope of attrcting a wider audience and as posted in the Warwick thread: - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/52590-warwick-thread/page__st__320

I have a Warwick Corvette Fretless (defretted) - with a Bass Centre Receipt for a second hand sale of this to Mr Malcolm Sutherland dated 14/12/2000.
Google leads me to a band named Renia with a bass player named Malcolm Sutherland.
Anybody know any more about this band / bassist?

I was a roadie for the band back in the early 1970s. The band members on the album were Peter Sutherland keyboards, his twin brother Malcom bass, John Robinson guitar, Richard Desmond of publishing fame, on drums , dropped out just a couple of months before the album was recorded, replaced on the album by Dave Mathews and Kenny Stewart on lead vocals. We had fun gigging around London mainly, supporting big name acts at the time, Joe Walsh - James Gang, Argent, Thin Lizzie, Fleetwood Mac and many more. In the video 'All that glitters' on YouTube filmed by the BBC, the film makers manage to get all the names wrong. That made me chuckle. Us roadies also made more money out of the recording than the band did. Nothing new there.

Edited by Ralf85

Cripes! I remember seeing Renia at a student union do in North London Poly, round about 1973. I was intrigued by their name. I think I was the only person watching and listening. I can’t for the life of me remember what they sounded like, but they must have made an impression.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:27, Trueno said:

I presume the Sutherland brothers were the same from "Sutherland Brothers and Quiver"... saw them, late 1974, I think.

No. They were my friends from North London and had nothing to do with Robin Hood and archery!

• 1 year later...
On 18/04/2020 at 10:25, Ralf85 said:

I was a roadie for the band back in the early 1970s. The band members on the album were Peter Sutherland keyboards, his twin brother Malcom bass, John Robinson guitar, Richard Desmond of publishing fame, on drums , dropped out just a couple of months before the album was recorded, replaced on the album by Dave Mathews and Kenny Stewart on lead vocals. We had fun gigging around London mainly, supporting big name acts at the time, Joe Walsh - James Gang, Argent, Thin Lizzie, Fleetwood Mac and many more. In the video 'All that glitters' on YouTube filmed by the BBC, the film makers manage to get all the names wrong. That made me chuckle. Us roadies also made more money out of the recording than the band did. Nothing new there.

Hi Ralf85,

wondering if you could give more history on Kenny Stewart from that time. He came from my home town ,Denny  in central Scotland.

As a young teenager I seem to recall he was supposed to joint Colosseum in late 1971 but Colosseum broke up at that time? That was the talk of the town,legend had it. After Renia he joins Dirty Tricks. Not sure what my he does late seventies, eighties and nineties. I saw him in the Led Zeppelin tribute band “ Stairway to Zeppelin” in Dunfermline in 2007 and that’s the last I know of his career.

• 2 years later...
On 18/04/2020 at 02:25, Ralf85 said:

Can anyone put me in touch with the vocalist from Renia, Kenny Stewart (more well-known from Dirty Tricks)?  Can't find him anywhere on social media.   Candy McGaw