Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

Just got in from my band practice.... First time with our full new line up.

It was great to be playing as a band again, and the new people have fitted in well (new singer and new guitarist)

On the downside.... The rhythm guitarist needs to actually keep to rhythm... I could have crowned him in Mamma Mia when he was going off on his own time signature..... The lead guitarist slaughtered the solo from another brick in the wall tonight... Which always causes me pain!!

Me and the drummer were tight again. The singer is great.

However, for me personally... Today was the first time my 5 string had an outing which was cool.... And also after playing "Dear Prudence" the new guitarist said to me "I was worried that a girl would be able to hold down a bassline, but in fairness to you girl, you are sh*t hot, that's the best I've heard that played" :D

All the more flattering as I have only been playing for 6 months..... Although none of my band mates know this :P I'm going to say after our first gig :lol:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1353539531' post='1875961']
And also after playing "Dear Prudence" the new guitarist said to me "I was worried that a girl would be able to hold down a bassline, but in fairness to you girl, you are sh*t hot, that's the best I've heard that played" :D [/quote]

Hopefully the more excellent female players people meet and listen to, the fewer people will hold these beliefs.

Well done for being Shi*t hot! :D

Spent last night sending emails and demo bits to promoters and venues in Leeds trying to book a slot for Madam Fade next year. We know a fair few people up in Yorkshire and we keep getting asked if we're ever going to play there. Fingers crossed.

A day gassing over new amps to try and further downsize and clean up my sound a bit. Really fancy the GK MB500 - super small, light, sounds great in all the soundclips I can find and a footswitchable boost/drive channel. :gas:

I was supposed to be having an acoustic rehearsal with my guitarist but he had to work at short notice. Also our recording session at the beginning of December has been cancelled. :( Very disappointing, decent recordings would be a huge help in promoting the band.

Recording out at Einstein Studios near Antrim. Great place to spend the day - brilliant gear and Frankie is an absolute hoot. This is the third track off the EP - it's called Headless and so far it's sounding great. Unfortunately our singer is loaded with the cold atm so we didn't get any vocals down but we cut the session an hour short and Frankie is going to give us the time some evening over the next couple of weeks. Disappointing not coming home with a finished song but it couldn't be helped.

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1353879612' post='1879391']
Recording out at Einstein Studios near Antrim. Great place to spend the day - brilliant gear and Frankie is an absolute hoot. This is the third track off the EP - it's called Headless and so far it's sounding great. Unfortunately our singer is loaded with the cold atm so we didn't get any vocals down but we cut the session an hour short and Frankie is going to give us the time some evening over the next couple of weeks. Disappointing not coming home with a finished song but it couldn't be helped.
[/quote]

I thought you would be there, just on the seven mile straight, yeah? I have heard good things about frankie. But i have heard he is quite expensive. i suppose you pay for the best :). Oh, would you know of any local amp techs? my amp needs looked at, but i want somebody i can really trust.

Yep, that's the place. Frankie's not cheap (£240 per day) but the gear you have access to is second to none. He really knows what he's doing as well and helps get the best out of you. Worth it imo.

Don't know any amp techs personally but I've heard good things about the service you get out of Bairds.

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1353880261' post='1879405']
Yep, that's the place. Frankie's not cheap (£240 per day) but the gear you have access to is second to none. He really knows what he's doing as well and helps get the best out of you. Worth it imo.

Don't know any amp techs personally but I've heard good things about the service you get out of Bairds.
[/quote]

That's the second time Bairds has been mentioned... must check them out.

Frankie wouldn't be doing his job well if he wasn't getting the best from you, that is part of the charge- his experience.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1353882007' post='1879433']
Just in from rehearsal.

Sadly the guitarist was an hour and a quarter late.

Then my hand started playing up after about an hour of playing.

Painful and swollen :( but it's something I have to live with.
[/quote]

D: maybe you should get that looked at if you haven't already :/

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353884597' post='1879466']
D: maybe you should get that looked at if you haven't already :/
[/quote]

Sadly I have had it looked at by various medical professionals :(

Over many years I have broken my knuckles four times.
I now have arthritus that is agrevated by playing bass.

I have been advised on several occaisions to give up playing.

When I can no longer play, I will give up!