Why become a member? ×

Going lighter...............

martthebass

Well I've used Trace Elliot Combos for about the last 15 years - always been happy and never had one go out on me. Usually keep the unit for about 5 years.

Well the 5 years is up on my current GP7SM 715 1X15 combo. Problem is I'm not so keen on the current TE combos both in terms of sound and price. Also I was thinking maybe it was time to look for a solution that was a bit lighter than the 32Kg unit I've currently got.

I only need about 150 - 250W and 1X15 (or maybe 2 x 10) - don't ever push the set up, if I need volume I DI (so a XLR out is a must). I was thinking of a used MB 151P for the cab with a LM 250 - any opinions on this set up or anything better for my limited budget. Talking of which I was looking to get the LM 250 or 151P first for about £250 - 300 (used) and add the amp or cab (as applicable) later on - again about £250 - 300ish. Is this realistic? Also what would be a realistic expectation for selling the TE - pretty good nick - just a layer of gigging 'dust'.

Cheers, Mart

For the TE around £200-250 I should have thought.

I sold my TE 122H combo last year and invested in an MB CMD121H which is a cracking combo. Light and plenty loud enough. Mine has handled a small pub rock gig situation with no problem, but is generally there for a bit of air moving on stage with DI to the PA for FOH.

That said, as above it might be outside your budget, being in the range £550-£650 new, depending on how ready your funds are at the mo

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='191635' date='May 4 2008, 03:40 PM']Think you are going to struggle for light weight on your budget. Not used MarkBass myself but the amps do seem better than the cabs.[/quote]

May be right.

By lightweight tho I'm not talking Neo cabs, I'm still this side of 70 :)
Was looking at trying to keep the cab to about 25Kg and a lightweight amp (<5 kg)
For example I wouldn't rule out something like the EBS 2 x 10 in the for sale section if it would 'work' with something like the LM250?

If this sort of combination is 'sonically' inferior thant the TE then I'm inclined to soldier on for a few more years with my existing set up.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='191650' date='May 4 2008, 03:58 PM']If this sort of combination is 'sonically' inferior thant the TE then I'm inclined to soldier on for a few more years with my existing set up.[/quote]
You are gonna have to be the judge of that. One mans sonic inferiority is another mans hedgehog.

Hey Mart,
I got a LittleMark 250 and an Aguilar GS112 last year, replacing my old Trace Elliot 1X15 Combo >>
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5152"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5152[/url]

It came in about £600 by the way.
I couldn't be happier with it!

I intend to add another Aguilar cab when I can afford it, probably the GS112NT one, but for small venues unaccompanied or for monitoring on larger stages it's absolutely amazing!
What's even better, is I can get the head in a laptop bag on one shoulder, my bass on my back and the cab in one hand!

I thoroughly recommend it as it sounds like your requirements are similar to my own.

I'd also check out the GenzBenz Shuttle head and cab combos too over at www.bassdirect.co.uk - they look very interesting too.

Cheers,
Eude

I sold my AH 300 head when I bought my MB SA450. I've now bought a Mark V AH250 which weighs about 5 times as much as the MB but knocks it into a cocked hat when it comes to grunt.

Still got the MB and will take it out again soon to recompare, but I love the Trace.

^^

Cheers for the comments above guys. I was fairly certain this was the route to go but KT's comments give me second thoughts. I know the GP7 150SM is the 'baby' of the Trace Range but I rarely have to push it beyond 2 o clock for the pubs I play.

If you want light and GREAT, check out the Eden Nemesis line of combos. I have the 2x12 one which I can comfortably move around on my own and it has loads of power. The 2x10 would definatly be worth a look if you want something smaller.

[quote name='Waldo' post='193364' date='May 6 2008, 09:25 PM']If you want light and GREAT, check out the Eden Nemesis line of combos. I have the 2x12 one which I can comfortably move around on my own and it has loads of power. The 2x10 would definatly be worth a look if you want something smaller.[/quote]

That looks to be about what I'm looking for.
If anyone has got one of these going let me know,

[quote name='martthebass' post='193403' date='May 6 2008, 09:57 PM']That looks to be about what I'm looking for.
If anyone has got one of these going let me know,[/quote]

Don't mean to do a shameless plug but I have a 2x12 one going at the moment. Might be a bit too big for you though.

I bought mine from the Bass Centre but I've gathered that they've gone now. I think Andertons sells them though?

[quote name='Waldo' post='193414' date='May 6 2008, 10:05 PM']Don't mean to do a shameless plug but I have a 2x12 one going at the moment. Might be a bit too big for you though.

I bought mine from the Bass Centre but I've gathered that they've gone now. I think Andertons sells them though?[/quote]

Think you're right - similar weight and size to my current set up......bugger. I'll have to wait for a 2 x 10 or 1 x 15 to come along (sighs)

[quote name='Waldo' post='193364' date='May 6 2008, 09:25 PM']If you want light and GREAT, check out the Eden Nemesis line of combos. I have the 2x12 one which I can comfortably move around on my own and it has loads of power. The 2x10 would definatly be worth a look if you want something smaller.[/quote]

And I've got one for sale!!

[quote name='King Tut' post='192321' date='May 5 2008, 05:22 PM']I sold my AH 300 head when I bought my MB SA450. I've now bought a Mark V AH250 which weighs about 5 times as much as the MB but knocks it into a cocked hat when it comes to grunt.

Still got the MB and will take it out again soon to recompare, but I love the Trace.[/quote]

Stick with the TE, you know you want to!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the cab thing has now been sorted in the form of a Mark Bass 151HR. However with less gigs forthcoming than I would like I'm having to consider 'bridging' options on the amp. Ideally I would like to go for a LM11 but I may have to wait a while until the GAS fund is replenished or I can find someone to take my TE GP715SM in px. So, in short would a LM250 be capable of driving this in the meantime or any other (reasonably lightweight) options anyone can suggest for the time bridging option?

Cheers Mart

[quote name='martthebass' post='207560' date='May 27 2008, 08:35 PM']Well the cab thing has now been sorted in the form of a Mark Bass 151HR. However with less gigs forthcoming than I would like I'm having to consider 'bridging' options on the amp. Ideally I would like to go for a LM11 but I may have to wait a while until the GAS fund is replenished or I can find someone to take my TE GP715SM in px. So, in short would a LM250 be capable of driving this in the meantime or any other (reasonably lightweight) options anyone can suggest for the time bridging option?

Cheers Mart[/quote]

I've got away with my LM 250 and single Aguilar 1X12 at small(ish) gigs without PA support, I 'spose it depends on the size of venue though.
On larger gigs I use the DI out to the PA and run the amp loud too which really fills things out.
Seems fine on gigs of about 100 people, although I only have an acoustic guitar and a drummer to contend with.
Anything bigger though, I reckon you'd need a second cab or a bigger amp, it also depends on the sensitivity of your cab though...

The LM 250 is a great wee amp, but I am aware of it's limitations, if you can afford it's big bro it's probably more sensible going for that.
I was replacing a 200W trace Combo when I got mine and it seems just as loud even though on paper it's 50W shy...

Cheers,
Eude

Cheers Eude.
You're pretty much telling me what I thought - it's just I'm taking up most of the porch with the TE combo and the 151 at the mo and I don't know if I can stand the earache from Mrs MTB for 3-4 months :). Generally the gigs we do are smallish (<100) and if It's bigger then I DI. The TE has more than enough for most of what I do - if the LM250 and 151HR can deliver the same volume then I'd have no problem. I know the 151HR has good sensitivity (100db/w) but the LM250 only delivering 150W into 8 Ohms makes me think it would struggle with a 400W handling cab? I was thinking I need about 300W minimum unless someone can advise me better.

[quote name='martthebass' post='208003' date='May 28 2008, 01:10 PM']Cheers Eude.
You're pretty much telling me what I thought - it's just I'm taking up most of the porch with the TE combo and the 151 at the mo and I don't know if I can stand the earache from Mrs MTB for 3-4 months :huh:. Generally the gigs we do are smallish (<100) and if It's bigger then I DI. The TE has more than enough for most of what I do - if the LM250 and 151HR can deliver the same volume then I'd have no problem. I know the 151HR has good sensitivity (100db/w) but the LM250 only delivering 150W into 8 Ohms makes me think it would struggle with a 400W handling cab? I was thinking I need about 300W minimum unless someone can advise me better.[/quote]

I'm no expert on all that I'm afraid.
The Aguilar I use is an 8 ohm 300W cab and has 95db/w sensitivity, or so I'm told.
It certainly cuts through better and appears louder than my ol' 200W Trace Combo, but that's all the advice I can offer on it... :)

Cheers,
Eude

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks to our very own Mr Cougar who has very kindly lent me his brand new LM250 for a few days, I've had a chance to A-B this against my current TE combo.

I'd agree with Eude that it's a lot louder than my current 150/300W TE. However I think I'm going to have to play around a bit because it seems 'compressed' compared to the TE (less distinct/clear) - maybe a hefty dose of EQ is required? Granted this was with a MIA P bass with old strings tho (my lowest output bass - thought it'd give me the best idea of whether this would give me enough volume at a gig.

So........before I commit anyone know how the Genz Benz Shuttle 3 sounds in comparo?