Why become a member? ×

1995 Stingray (refin') or 2005 Limited Edition Buttercream 'ray

sshorepunk

I'm thinking of moving on a bass that I have just put togther!
Its a 1995 Musicman stingray with SD pick up 3 band EQ rosewood neck, bridge with mutes

I picked this bass up off The Greek on this forum, intention was to have it as a back up to my regular giging stingray, a luxury I know, but always good to have!

I bought it as a relic job and have had the body sprayed, its a good spray job with just some very minor blemishes showing through due to the previous relic job
Its celulose finish and the colour is a light blue, not sonic blue (I'm colour blind so judge from the pics lol)
I dont have a pickgaurd yet, it will be fitted with a tort' gaurd, but I also think an off white pickgaurd would look cool!

comes with MM case

Just looking to recoup what I paid for this so far, which is in the region of £750

UPDATE

I may keep this bass and let my 2005 Limited edition buttercream go! Will make decision on this in next few days
I am leaning towards keeping the blue bass, the sexy bridge, funky neck and playability are swinging it right now
If I go that way, then the Buttercream will be up for grabs! Rosewood neck, two small dinks in the paint on the lower rear of the body and comes in tolex case - £850

Edited by sshorepunk

I can confirm that this is a great bass - before I even sent it away I was gutted I'd sold it!!

No disrespect to Tony's photographic skills but the photos do not do this justice.. the birds eye maple neck is one of the nicest I've played on any bass - not only beautifully grained but slim, fast and smooth - far better than the neck on the 2005 I bought as a replacement when I started missing this one.

Remember this has the bridge with dampeners (the one you want)...

Some pics:

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Musicman%20Stingrays/MMstingray006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Musicman%20Stingrays/MMstingray007.jpg[/IMG]

Nick Smith (Doctor of the Bass) liked this so much that he was threatening to sell a kidney to buy this from me (when it was relic'ed white). I'd say that you'd be hard pushed to find a better bass for the money..

(BTW I wasn't responsible for the relic'ing)

Thanks for the extra images, I had to rely on what I had as the bass is not with me right now!

Yes, that is a fantastic neck, and it does have the mutes, which makes it more derivable IMHO

To be honest, if nothing comes up that grabs me, this will stay, just thinking a passive jazz would be a good bass to have right now!

Thx once again to "The Greek" for the images and it has to be said, buying a bass from him was one of the smoothest transactions I have had the pleasure to be part of!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1348518395' post='1814771']
Thanks for the extra images, I had to rely on what I had as the bass is not with me right now!

Yes, that is a fantastic neck, and it does have the mutes, which makes it more derivable IMHO

To be honest, if nothing comes up that grabs me, this will stay, just thinking a passive jazz would be a good bass to have right now!

[b]Thx once again to "The Greek" for the images and it has to be said, buying a bass from him was one of the smoothest transactions I have had the pleasure to be part of![/b]

Tony
[/quote]

I sometimes think that it was one that I shouldn't have been involved in!! ;) ;)

This is a really fine bass..possibly one of the best Rays you could play...anybody who's having thoughts about this should follow through on them..

Good luck with the sale..

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1348664446' post='1816619']
If that lovely neck had a maple board I'd have been round to your house two days ago, dragging all my gear for you to pick over - it's a great-looking bass, damn my rosewood aversion :D
[/quote]
LOL, we are a funny bunch us bass players. Out of idle curiosity, what is it about rosewood you don't like? Aesthetic, tonal or both?

Sorry for butting in, but I also have this adversion to rosewood fretboards on MM and P basses. For me personally i like the tone from a maple board, i think rosewood boards make the neck look short. If the fretboard and headstock are both maple then the neck looks longer. It's just to busy with a coloured body - rosewood board and natural headstock.

Just me and my weirdness i guess....

Loving the finish by the way....goodluck with the trade.

Edited by Bassulike66

I've just always been a rosewood board man!
Bump this up, one or two things in the pipeline, may result in this being offered as a straight sale over a trade, already had one PM about that and he whom fired the first shot in that direction will be the first to be offered the chance to purchase this fine rosewood necked bass!
T

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decision time is coming close!

I've got to get rid of one of my 'rays
I've got rehearsal tomorrow night and a gig on Friday, so gonna be playing both basses and seeing how one compares to the other in a band situation!
I'm leaning towards keeping the blue bass with the sexy bridge and funky neck, will probably put a off white pick gaurd on it
If I go that way, my 2005 limited edition buttercream bass will be for sale. Its in good condition, two small chips in the paint on the body, rosewood fretboard, comes with correct tolex case - £850

Edited by sshorepunk