Why become a member? ×

Randy Covan Bass solo with a whammy bar!!!

Leen2112

I've been listening to progressive rockers Ark recently and had to find more on bass player Randy Covan. His fretless work is sublime! After a quick search i found this from 1991. As one of the comments says 'it's a shame the cameraman was pished' don't let that put you off, he does a solo and has a whammy bar.......the only other guy i know of who has one is Les Claypool (primus) proper mental! Anyone else know other stuff about Randy?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=gwMUsew_ZkI&feature=endscreen"]http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen[/url]

very good player,
has done loads of some of the best known would be stuff like
the

funk me tender,album
I bought a tutorial video that he did about 20 years ago,he shows you how does stuff
but I thought he just got straight for that video shoot only,still learned some stuff though

cheers
stef

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1348336051' post='1812542']
he does a solo and has a whammy bar.......the only other guy i know of who has one is Les Claypool (primus) proper mental!
[/quote]
Victor Wooten uses one on his main Fodera Monarch and Dave LaRue used to use one on his Spector.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1348336051' post='1812542']
..........he does a solo and has a whammy bar.......the only other guy i know of who has one is Les Claypool[/quote]

.... and it sounds like this.........

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ZL77mwgho[/media]

.... on their last tour in '83 he was showing it off & let me have a go on it.... I was a tad nervous.

Edited by Big_Stu

Love Randy. Got the first two albums,(sammy/funk) great stuff. I also got the (advanced) hot licks tutorial video at the time.
Wanted a whammy bar on a bass for years, but never got round to it.(don't want one anymore')
The thing that makes me laugh tho' is the video.. he seems so out of it,)

Apparently he taught Mr. Mayung a thing or two...

Not sure if he's itch malmsteen at the moment. BTW , I wonder if he has still got that bass??

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1348403947' post='1813159']
He did a tuition video in the 80s. Great playing, but looks extremely drugged/coked up.
[/quote]
Really? Having no experience of such things, I don't know how you would be able to tell that. Isn't it a bit of an unfair assumption? Would someone in that state be able to play like that?

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1348408984' post='1813230']
Really? Having no experience of such things, I don't know how you would be able to tell that. Isn't it a bit of an unfair assumption? [b]Would someone in that state be able to play like that?[/b]
[/quote]
I don't know about drugs but you can play whilst extremely drunk.
Before I dried out, I played many gigs in that state (aparently).
Muscle memory etc all plays a part.
Thankfully I don't drink any more :)