Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where to get a Jazz 5 string body made?

Angel

Hey Angel... Welcome to Basschat!

There are a number of off the shelf type places, Warmoth and Mighty Mite come to mind and a google will turn their websites up, but if you're looking for something more custom then I'd recommend having a look at the Recommended Luthiers thread above. Many will make you something to order to your specs. I'm going to recommend Jon Shuker because I'm clearly biased, but there are many fine makers in that list.

HTH

P

Thanks, I'll check out the luthiers, although I'd prefer something old and used really. The trouble with Warmoth and Mighty mite is they work out very expensive with taxes and carriage etc. At least if you throw the money to someone in this country you are putting something back into the UK.

chris b: I have a very expensive and pristine bass, but I don't like 'pristine'. I'd like to get something in bare wood to look more grubby generally, and just keep the good body in case I sell one day.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1348502258' post='1814422']
There's usually loads of these on eBay, some loaded some just the bare body. There's also occasionally some bits on here. Having one made will be costly wherever you go.
[/quote]

I have NEVER seen a 5 string jazz body on eBay!

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1349095878' post='1821654']
I have NEVER seen a 5 string jazz body on eBay!
[/quote]

Ditto. When I was searching for one the only ones that did surface where uber rare expencive Fender ones and they were like hens teeth. I finally plumped for a Squier VM 5 string and did my dirty deeds on that :unsure:

A

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1349304371' post='1824654']
Why not just rout out the neck pocket and pickup holes? - instant 5 string.
[/quote]

Ishould imagine you would have to offset the neck and pickups since you could only route one way in the neck or it would overhang on one side. then you would have to fill in the bridge pickup route and recut it to allow for the change in positions of the screw lugs.

Sort of doable but allot of faff and not the perfect answer.

Nice idea though :)

A

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:114762]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:114763]

Y'know, I'd never noticed the overhang on the bottom of the neck till you mentioned it! It's only about 2mm and doesn't affect playing in any way.

But - having never had my hands on a 5 string jazz pickup - are the lugs further apart top-to-bottom than on a four? I'd assumed they'd be in the same place and to just extend the top and bottom where the poles are. (this is all to do with why my one has a gaping hole in waiting for a neck pickup)

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1349356535' post='1825215']

Y'know, I'd never noticed the overhang on the bottom of the neck till you mentioned it! It's only about 2mm and doesn't affect playing in any way.

But - having never had my hands on a 5 string jazz pickup - are the lugs further apart top-to-bottom than on a four? I'd assumed they'd be in the same place and to just extend the top and bottom where the poles are. (this is all to do with why my one has a gaping hole in waiting for a neck pickup)
[/quote]

Comparing the 4 and 5 string Squier VM's the lugs are stretched out in proportion. You would have to fill and re route.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1349418742' post='1825989']
Comparing the 4 and 5 string Squier VM's the lugs are stretched out in proportion. You would have to fill and re route.

A
[/quote]

Thank you, sir, you have just saved me a huge jumping-up-and-down-growling session!

There's actually just a big gaping hole under the scratchplate but at least I now know I'll need a new one.

Sorry for the hijack BTW.

• 4 weeks later...