Why become a member? ×

Hello From torquay devon

hollywoodrox

Hi there, paul here from Torquay, I currently play a white aria pro II slb 2 with a pointy headstock, I like to play 80s hair metal and van halen also some of the newer hair metal band songs from finland/sweden. i am a huge fan of melodic death and viking metal especially children of bodom, eternal tears of sorrow,dark tranquility,skyfire,wintersun etc. I like classic rock too if you count bands like deep purple ,rainbow,dio,whitesnake,jovi,GnR.

I am currently playig on bass songs by van halen,ratt crazy lixx and winger.

my fave bass's usually involve classic charvel bc rich gunslinger type shapes with pointy headstocks reversed if possible. I might get a Vintage v4 reissue as a spare bass soon, my lottery win bass would be a charvel custom shop with tiger stripes or something along those lines.

I have a small ashdown tourbus amp for practising in the house and plan to get something more substantial for jamming with others, I use a zoom B2.1u fx and favour dunlop jazz 3 picks

have a great day/evening.....Paul

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1348184967' post='1810710']
Hi there, paul here from Torquay,
[/quote]

I used to live on Torquay's [i]infamous[/i] Warren Road :) Loved it. Only moved back up north as the damn landlord wanted me to move from a 3 room flat into a bedsit (yeah right!)

I also own a zoom B2.1u. Good for allsorts arent they ? :)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1348225165' post='1811040']
Hi Welcome

I hope your bass is waterproof. Never seen so much rain as when i went to Devon.

Beautiful county though. Weather changes so damn fast.

B
[/quote]
Your telling me. I was once standing in warm sunshine in torquay when we saw a car that had just come off Dartmoor with snow all over it!!

Edited by daz

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BC. I'm not so keen on the newer heavy bands but love Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc. & was in a lot of hard/heavy rock bands in my youth - I play in a blues band now though.
I haven't been to Torquay for a few years but used to visit two or three weekends & summer holidays each year (used to stay in Warren Road - why is it infamous?). I love the place - used to go to see the bands on Friday nights in the Cider Press - is that still open?
Anyway enjoy BC, there are some really helpful people on here.

[quote name='tazza1' timestamp='1348303679' post='1812018']

I haven't been to Torquay for a few years but used to visit two or three weekends & summer holidays each year (used to stay in Warren Road - why is it infamous?). I love the place - used to go to see the bands on Friday nights in the Cider Press - is that still open?
[/quote]

Well Warren Road is very much a road of two halves. the posh half and the benefit hotel half. (I, being awkward lived approx in the middle) I must say I found it quite 'cosmopolitan' and easy to make friends there. Mostly enjoyed it and would still be there if it were not for the landlord getting all of a sudden money mad.

Welcome from just down the road in Paignton.

(used to stay in Warren Road - why is it infamous?). I love the place - used to go to see the bands on Friday nights in the Cider Press - is that still open?
[/quote]

Warren road is where most of the drug dealers in the bay operate from, or used to as it may have been cleaned up by now. Cider press is still there, as is the Piazza next door, though it's called something else now. I once saw the Australian Pink Floyd there before they started moving onto bigger venues.

Hi & welcome to Basschat. I too live in Torquay and was playing last night at the Apple & Parrot in our cover band Slytherin. We share similar tastes in basses. I have bought a Vintage which worked well last night. I occasionally get my 80's Charvel with pointy headstock out if i want to rawk out & my Aria is a fretlesss. I left the hair club some years ago.

Are you gigging at the moment?

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1348347486' post='1812711']
Well Warren Road is very much a road of two halves. the posh half and the benefit hotel half. (I, being awkward lived approx in the middle) I must say I found it quite 'cosmopolitan' and easy to make friends there. Mostly enjoyed it and would still be there if it were not for the landlord getting all of a sudden money mad.
[/quote]

That's a shame Daz. If I could afford to I would move there

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1348409123' post='1813233']
Hi & welcome to Basschat. I too live in Torquay and was playing last night at the Apple & Parrot in our cover band Slytherin. We share similar tastes in basses. I have bought a Vintage which worked well last night. I occasionally get my 80's Charvel with pointy headstock out if i want to rawk out & my Aria is a fretlesss. I left the hair club some years ago.

Are you gigging at the moment?
[/quote] hi Think I have heard of your band, no not giggin just practising about 5 - 7 songs at the moment, the two bass's sound awesome love the pointy charvels I had been combing ebay for them til i got the vintage. will keep an eye out for your band..cheers...paul

[quote name='simonc61' timestamp='1348407930' post='1813210']
Welcome from just down the road in Paignton.

Warren road is where most of the drug dealers in the bay operate from, or used to as it may have been cleaned up by now. Cider press is still there, as is the Piazza next door, though it's called something else now. I once saw the Australian Pink Floyd there before they started moving onto bigger venues.
[/quote]cool I like paignton, used to go to bmad on wednesdays til I wrecked the bike, when i occasionally go out for a night one of my fave places is the spinney, can sometimes be found in rooses cafe on a sunday too. cheers....paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BC. I'm not so keen on the newer heavy bands but love Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc. & was in a lot of hard/heavy rock bands in my youth - I play in a blues band now though.
[/quote]yes cider press still there....cheers

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1348430817' post='1813597']
yes its pissin down, smmer was a wash out this year and the last two ro three were barely better
[/quote]
I was there the only two weeks of the year you had (mostly) good weather then. :) Our holiday photos prove it :D But then we had a good holiday owing us from last year fortnight, when every single day but 2 rained. :(

Edited by daz

Thanks guys for your welcome, look forward to seeing you in the forums and maybe around town to the local ones....I won an ebay auction for that vintage V4 its the reissue one with a maple fingerboard/neck, the guy who i bought it off got a scratchplate for it off here made by the bass doc, steve dawson plays the same bass out of oliver/dawson saxon so Ive been playing along with a couple of saxon songs in anticipation of its arrival next week, have had a bit of a bad right shoulder recently I think I am tense when I am practising maybe. have a great week all...cheers...paul

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1348430712' post='1813593']
cool I like paignton, used to go to bmad on wednesdays til I wrecked the bike, when i occasionally go out for a night one of my fave places is the spinney, can sometimes be found in rooses cafe on a sunday too. cheers....paul
[/quote]

On the subjects of bikes mine is aSV650. At a recent BMAD night I managed to get our card & name to who books the bands for the BMAD festival, so fingers crossed we will play at next years!