Why become a member? ×

Vintage V4 Body Weight Issues

mep

I recently bought a Vintage V4MTB on-line as I wanted a cheap passive bass in addition to my 2 main active bass (Charvel & Stingray). I read some reviews and this was the one to go for, especially as DJM Music were selling them for £209 and the TBM is black with a maple neck. It is a really great bass for the price and plays exceptionally well. My main issue is the weight of the body. The bass only weighs 3Kg or 8 Ibs. I really does feel light, especially when I pick up 2 basses, one in each hand. 2 reviews in BGM for the V4 both mention that this is a heavy bass with one review saying it weighs 10 Ibs, the same as a P Bass. Amazon list is as weighing 5Kg, or 11 Ibs. Not only does the neck dive but I feel it also affects the sound somewhat, especially in a live band situation. It just doesn;t have that full sound. Ok I usually use active basses, although my Aria is passive, but maybe I should not expect this to sound and feel too similar. My other basses all weigh around 5Kg.

I have raised this with DJM and they have weighed the other basses they have in stock and have check with the supplier and this is what the bass weighs. They say I can have a replacement but it will weigh the same. This is their response.

[i][font=Verdana][size=2]The weight of the item on Amazon is the boxed weight and this is also the weight we are given by our suppliers. Having been down to our warehouse and weighed one I can confirm that 8 lbs. is around the correct weight for this item. I also spoke to our supplier directly and they also informed me that this is the weight of the Bass. We would be more than happy to offer you a replacement but to be honest with you, they all weigh the same as the one you already have. [/size][/font][/i][i][font=Verdana][size=2]With this information provided I will be happy to hear your thoughts on the matter and if I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me[/size][/font][/i]

Does anyone have a Vintage V4 and can confirm what it weighs? Also what is it like for you gigging?

In the meantime I have changed the strings to some Roto RB45's (as my Ray) and that seems to be better, but I will not be too sure untill I can gig it on Saturday. But the issue of neck dive will always be there, especially when standing up.

My main use for this bass will be home practicing and band rehersals, and using it for the odd set now and again.

Edited by mep

I had the reliced sunburst one a couple of years ago, if I remember it weighed about 8.5 lbs, no problem with neck dive as far as I remember. Traded it in for my Matt Freeman Squier and didn't notice any huge difference in weight.

IMO, if it plays and sounds nice maybe try to add a little weight in the pickup to pot route under the scratchplate, also maybe a Hi-mass bridge would help. Believe it or not some players seek out light weight P basses, some older Fenders are heavey (10 -12 ibs) but 8 - 9 ibs is about the norm.

The idea of some mass in the body void sounds a good idea. I have had the scratch plate off and there is plenty of room. I'll have to come up with something. It really is light compared to my other 3 basses. I'm more concerned with the neck dive long term than a difference in sound, which I'm hoping the change in strings will sort out to a point. This is a lovely bass to play and I just need to get it more comfortable for me. Ths high mass bridge is interesting, but will cost money. This is a cheap bass and doesn't warrant more money spent it on it IMO.

Thanks for confirming you had a light one Kennyrodg. Sorry you didn't get on with it.

I'll chew on it over the weekend and see what else BC throws up before getting back in touch with DJM

I have the V4MVW, which is the vintage white colour with glossy maple neck/fingerboard and it also weighs 8lb.

As for neck dive, I don't suffer from that with having a gut and it sits straight on a strap. One thing of note, is that the headstock is quite a large one and the neck profile is rather thick - certainly thicker from front-to-back than the Squier VM Amber and MIM Classic 50s P-basses I had.

As for a band situation, I can't currently help there sadly, but in terms of output, it was louder than the Aria Cat Active with the active tone set in 'neutral' I had but not as loud as the Sterling SUB. Have you tinkered with the pickup height? Mine was set very low when it arrived, so I raised it a little.

The stock strings are awful, so a new set should help. I popped on a set of Rotosound 40-100 rounds and then changed them to a set of Fender 55-105 flats. Both sets were a vast improvement over the stock strings.

As a side-note, on the last Vintage V4 I had (rosewood fingerboard), I popped in a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and to be frank, I didn't notice much of a difference over the stock Wilkinson Alnico pickup. so I put it back in and sold the SD. I've kept my current V4 stock as it sounds and feels like a P-bass, only a bit lighter ;) .

Edited by Green Alsatian

I have two Vintage V4s: one is an older standard black with Rosewood, and the other is the Tony Butler version, like yours. I gig with them often.

They both play very well indeed, no complaints there. The rosewood board one is particularly nice as I've had time to really get the action perfect for me. The pickups on that one also seem stronger - but it could be their height setting. The Tony Butler is getting close, its just a matter of time for me:) And having the time, of course lol.

I've weighed both of mine and they came in at a fraction over 8lbs. That will be including a strap though. So yes, 8lbs sounds about right to me for a bare bass.

As for balance - neither have neck dive, and balance prtty much spot on for me. What strap are you using? A smooth nylon one won't have any friction against your clothes to halt and dive you are experiencing.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1348209468' post='1810746']
I have the V4MVW, which is the vintage white colour with glossy maple neck/fingerboard and it also weighs 8lb.
[/quote]

I have to admit to being very tempted by this one too. I've not seen the vintage white colour in the flesh though, but I can imagine it looks delicious with that glossy neck/board.

I don't need this... ;)

hiho,don,t worry about the weight,you can play them all night.
Compared to a musicman they are light.
I have noticed that they can sound toppy with the tone wide open.
Roll back the tone or boost bass and cut treble on the amp and they are big sounding.
The band I,m in at the moment prefer it to musicman,ricky and a thunderbird so there you go.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:106986]

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1348172214' post='1810492']
I recently bought a Vintage V4TBM on-line as I wanted a cheap passive bass in addition to my 2 main active bass (Charvel & Stingray). I read some reviews and this was the one to go for, especially as DJM Music were selling them for £209 and the TBM is black with a maple neck. It is a really great bass for the price and plays exceptionally well. My main issue is the weight of the body. The bass only weighs 3Kg or 8 Ibs. I really does feel light, espcecially when I pick up 2 basses, one in each hand. 2 reviews in BGM for the V4 both mention that this is a heavy bass with one review saying it weighs 10 Ibs, the same as a P Bass. Amazon list is as weighing 5Kg, or 11 Ibs. Not only does the neck dive but I feel it also affects the sound somewhat, especially in a live band situation. It just doesn;t have that full sound. Ok I usually use active basses, although my Aria is passive, but maybe I should not exepect this to sound and feel too similar. My other basses all weigh around 5Kg.

I have raised this with DJM and they have weighed the other basses they have in stock and have check with the supplier and this is what the bass weighs. They say I can have a replacement but it will weigh the same. This is their response.

[i][font=Verdana][size=2]The weight of the item on Amazon is the boxed weight and this is also the weight we are given by our suppliers. Having been down to our warehouse and weighed one I can confirm that 8 lbs. is around the correct weight for this item. I also spoke to our supplier directly and they also informed me that this is the weight of the Bass. We would be more than happy to offer you a replacement but to be honest with you, they all weigh the same as the one you already have. [/size][/font][/i][i][font=Verdana][size=2]With this information provided I will be happy to hear your thoughts on the matter and if I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me[/size][/font][/i]

Does anyone have a Vintage V4 and can confirm what it weighs? Also what is it like for you gigging?

In the meantime I have changed the strings to some Roto RB45's (as my Ray) and that seems to be better, but I will not be too sure untill I can gig it on Saturday. But the issue of neck dive will always be there, especially when standing up.

My main use for this bass will be home practicing and band rehersals, and using it for the odd set now and again.
[/quote]

I'd much sooner have a light one but I have back problems. The heavier the worse for me! As for neck dive, I'd change the tuners....

Wow, thanks for all your replies guys. Plenty of good ideas as I would expect from BC. Yeah the bass is inexpensive but not cheap in the other sense. I immediately liked this bass. I'm glad to hear they all weigh the same, and BGM have some explaining to do, if i can ever bother to get around to that! I will not hassle DJM Music about a replacement.

I will admit to using an inferior strap at first. It's a Homer Simpson strap that was too long for my sons guitar so I recycled it. I will replace it with the one off my Aria for the gig on Saturday as I hope that will help somewhat. I always wear a T-shirt at a gig and will not be putting on some woolly wseater to reduce friction I do like to have a strap for each bass that stays on all the time. I once forgot to bring my strap to a TV gig and had to use my belt and have sworn never to repeat that again.

I know you what you mean about the top end. I have been rolling off the treble on the tone control and have increased the lower frequencies on my TE graphic. I'm also glad to hear the supplied strings are naff. The new Roto's already sound better at home through my practice set ups. The only time I can plug into my rig is at a gig as we plug into the PA desk for practices.

If it still feels like the neck is diving with a different strap I may consider adding some weight to the strap. I feel the next gig is going to be a better one.

Oops forgot to say I,ve fitted a maple musicman style neck from a vintage cause they didn,t do a maple neck at the time,fits like a glove .It,s a very easy mod.You get an extra fret as well and no probs with intonation.Maybe the shorter headstock helps.
Great gigging bass,fabulous sound
It,s got a high mass bridge,schaller tuners,wizard thumper pick up.
Only other thing I would do to it is fit a hipshot d-tuner.
If a decent Tony Butler come up s/h at the right price I would be on it like a rash.
As stock they are great basses.

Ok, update. I used the Vintage for the 1st set last night and the fresh strings and different strap really worked. I love this bass. A bit of weight on the strap wouldn't go a miss but i have yet to come up with a workable solution.

I got the thumbs up from a fellow bass player who i met. The lovely Annabel from north Devon who is now aware of Basschat and will hopefully check it out and join? Don't forget to spread the word guys (and girls).

That's good news, glad it's working out for you. I'm still tweaking the action on my Tony Butler V4 - it's close now, but I think the nut slots need to be a fraction deeper as I can really notice the difference there compared to my Jazz and my older V4 which are both effortless to fret around the top of the neck.

Those V4 TB's are great basses though, aren't they? Fabulous build quality and sound in my humble opinion.