Why become a member? ×

'66 'Slab' Precision Build

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1348515601' post='1814698']
The cost would not be as unviable as you might think. I do it mostly for fun, so chuck in a couple bob atop p&p. The brass slug i have i found at work, so no costs there.
[/quote]

Sounds great, PM me your address and I'll send you the original brass one to size match (I just found it after a lengthy search through the parts drawer, it was right at the bottom!). Very generous of you.

What do you mean by brass slug?, sorry, excuse my dumbness!! :blush:

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1348516434' post='1814719']
Sounds great, PM me your address and I'll send you the original brass one to size match (I just found it after a lengthy search through the parts drawer, it was right at the bottom!). Very generous of you.

What do you mean by brass slug?, sorry, excuse my dumbness!! :blush:
[/quote]

A slug is how a material is supplied to a manufacturer before they work with it, like a blank.

Heres a picture of it anyway

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1348518259' post='1814768']
Ah, I was wondering why you wanted a second brass one, maybe some sort of not wanting to use the original incase it broke....

Ive got bone blanks too. Can knock one of those up easy. You already have ma details.
[/quote]

No probs, brass one's as good as in the post. Nice one! :D

I just spotted this on ebay :) real or not - I dunno :unsure:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Players-1961-Slab-board-Fender-Precision-/221118283124?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item337bad3d74&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1201"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Players-1961-Slab-board-Fender-Precision-/221118283124?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item337bad3d74&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1201[/url]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1349017164' post='1820696']
I just spotted this on ebay :) real or not - I dunno :unsure:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Players-1961-Slab-board-Fender-Precision-/221118283124?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item337bad3d74&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1201"]http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1201[/url]
[/quote]

Looks real to me, shame its a slab board, and not slab body, mind you, it would be 5x the price if it was! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1349018139' post='1820708']
Looks real to me, shame its a slab board, and not slab body, mind you, it would be 5x the price if it was! :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Ah yes! That would explain it, there may just have been a little confusion in my poor old mind there for a minute or 12 :lol:

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1349087713' post='1821473']
Wasn't there a recent Custom Shop version of this slab bass?

Sure Thomann Had one on their page - Just had a scan and it's no longer listed.

Either way, sure this will be a spectacular rendition.
[/quote]

Correct, they did 2. A rosewood neck, torty guard issue (wrong, wrong, wrong);

[url="http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/4454/Fender-Custom-Shop-Masterbuilt-66-Slab-Precision-Closet-Classic-Bass-White-Blonde-/"]http://www.themusicz...-White-Blonde-/[/url]

..and a more correct version, Retailed at over $5,500;
[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-custom-shop-66-slab-body-p-bass"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-custom-shop-66-slab-body-p-bass[/url]

Thanks for your comment, it's coming together rather nicely so far.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1349026921' post='1820844']
There were some (how many? a few?) slab P-basses made in 1962. Slab body (honey blonde), tortoise pickguard, slab rosewood neck. I saw a picture of one a while ago on an auction site, but I forgot to download the picture, and the link has gone dead :(
[/quote]

Never seen a reference to one of those anywhere?

Neither have I, that's what made it so strange, but yet everything was correct (it was a slab body, without a paintstick mark in the neckpocket, dating it before 1963, with the correct nailholes). Maybe a custom one-off, like Fender sometimes did for an artist. I'm still searching the dark corners of "teh interwebz" for it, but to no avail :(.

P.S. You've got a PM about the booklet ;)

There was a chap in the late 1990's/Early 2000's in 'Bassist' Magazine (a 'Me And My Bass' feature IIRC) who made his own slab precision in a Fiesta/Dakota Red finish.

I remember thinking in my inexperience at the time that these were a lot more commonplace.

I really like the idea of them, a bigger, brasher, harder Precision bass - I too have the Entwistle Collection book, so have an inherrent fondness for gear similar to his.

OK, great update, ourtesy of tommorichards, who is a top, top man. Sent him my original brass nut from the RW sig neck, and he made me a stunning, original bone nut copy, looks aged perfect. Excuse the fact there's 4 pics ofthis, but it's such a great job, great fit, and worthy of the exposure, thanks sooo much Tom, couldn't be happier!!

Excellent work, courtesy of bc'er tommorichards.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, it's been a while since i had anything to report on this, I now have all the components, and finally (!!), a pic of the body, after it's final coat of heavy white blonde. Looking good, it's now having the nitro cracked and weathered, and a light relic wear, and I should have it back in a couple of weeks, subject to USPS!

I asked for a few progress pics, and got one!, never mind, here it is;

[url="javascript:void(0);"][/url]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1349101912' post='1821795']
Never seen a reference to one of those anywhere?[/quote]

There is a reference in Barry Matthews' book to a later batch (66/67) made for distribution in the USA, some of which had torty guards and rosewood fingerboards. One particularly rare example (F188559) had 'paddle' or 'lollipop' tuners, too.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1351176761' post='1848278']
There is a reference in Barry Matthews' book to a later batch (66/67) made for distribution in the USA, some of which had torty guards and rosewood fingerboards. One particularly rare example (F188559) had 'paddle' or 'lollipop' tuners, too.
[/quote]

Yes, but they weren't made in '62, as the reference, and they didnt have slab boards, as stated. The second batch definitely exist though, about 5 examples still known about.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1351177579' post='1848294']
Yes, but they weren't made in '62, as the reference, and they didnt have slab boards, as stated. The second batch definitely exist though, about 5 examples still known about.[/quote]

OK Rick, when you've finished this one will you build me a 66/67 with a tort guard, rosewood neck and lollipop tuners? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1351180423' post='1848352']
OK Rick, when you've finished this one will you build me a 66/67 with a tort guard, rosewood neck and lollipop tuners? :)
[/quote]

It would certainly be a lot easier than this one has been, I could have used an original neck too!!! It wouldn't be 'right' though would it, it has to be maple-cap,and the wide-bevel black guard, thats what makes it unique really! :D