Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Image Contra II bass/double bass combo with extension cab and original covers/cables: £500 *Withdrawn*

Beedster

Had this listed in the 'Other musical equipment' forum for a week or so with no action so thought I'd list it here for a day or two ahead of eBay. Great rig that is only leaving Beedster Towers due to a house move and a rethink about what I'm likely going to be doing with DB in the future (i.e., recording versus gigging). I paid £800 (used) for this two years back which was a bargain at the time, and it's probably been the one rig that has really been of use to me in that time, having been used to gig DB, electric bass, and mandolin (we've also used it to record electro-acoustic guitar which simply sounded so much better through this and mic'd than it did either DI'd or mic'd only). I did of course sell it to Clarky briefly during that time (we have a contractual agreement that we cannot own something not previously owned by the other party), and he was kind enough to have the amp serviced by AI before he sold it back to me about a year or so back!

Stacked (how I use the rig for rehearsals and for electric bass or mandolin/guitar on stage)
[attachment=119316:IMG_0630.jpg]

Normal config for double bass on stage (one speaker as BD monitor and one for backline)
[attachment=119318:IMG_0621.JPG]

10" downward firing active speakers that provide great bass dispersion on stage
[attachment=119322:IMG_0639.JPG]

Controls including notch and HP filters
[attachment=119320:IMG_0632.JPG]

£500 firm collected from Canterbury or delivered/meet up within reasonable distance of the M25. Would also consider trade, with cash from me, for a Mesa Walkabout Scout

C

PS original FS thread here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134628-acoustic-image-contra-series-ii-rig-sold/page__hl__contra."]http://basschat.co.u...ge__hl__contra.[/url] Post 37 from Wayne is a classic :D

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Oakbear' timestamp='1348287005' post='1811917']
Would you be interested in selling the EX seperately?
[/quote]

Hello mate, yes but only if i can find a buyer for the combo at the same time, otherwise i'd rather sell as a pair. I think that, given the amount of really under-rpiced bargains on this site at the moment I'm going to drop the price of the pair to £500 collected, which is a real bargain for such high quality gear.

Chris

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1348389095' post='1812896']
Great price this, Acoustic Image are top quality amps.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, yes it is, if I wasn't moving and trying to get all my amp needs in one unit (a Walkabout Scout for both EB and DB) this wouldn't be going anywhere. I'll have to accept that for DB the Walkabout will not be as good as the AI, but the Boogie probably has the edge for electric bass (especially if I want some West Coast valveyness). It's a compromise but c'est la vie!

C

Bump for s serious bargain. I'm travelling to the Portsmouth-Southampton area in a couple of weeks so would be happy to drop this off/meet somewhere in that region, and am also happy to deliver/meet in the M25 area anytime if you're happy to bung me petrol money (keep in mind I drive a Maserati and keep it in 2nd at all times :D ).

C

EDIT looks like a trip to Cambridge is also in the offing soon, so could arrange something in that direction as well?

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1348611621' post='1816103']
£500??? this has really come at a bad time, a few months ago I'd have sprung the cash from somewhere and be driving down to pick this up. Impossible for me to do now tho' :(
[/quote]

It's such a good deal I'm almost tempted to buy it myself :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for dumb question Chris, but what's the power rating on the combo alone, then with the ext.
It's probably in the thread, or previous thread, but my eyes aren't seeing it.

I've tried a google search and all that comes up are yours and Clarky's exchange threads!! :-)

I'm wondering if this would work as a DB, electric bass and acoustic guitar "all in one set up"....??
I'm playing less electric bass these days, and more acoustic guitar and DB....sooooo....a one amp solution??
Might be up for a trip onto the M25.

John

Hi John, here is the manual which should give you all the spec answers: [url="http://www.acousticimg.com/docs/manual_combo.pdf"]http://www.acousticimg.com/docs/manual_combo.pdf[/url]

I have the 'modern' bigger brother combo the Ten2. I can tell you it works very well for acousticguitar (my guitarist had to borrow it at our gig last Friday as there was no PA, while I used my Phil Jones Briefcase for DB). It also works well with electric bass but it is very clean, so if you want warmer tones you will need to stick some sort of pedal in front (Sansamp, Behringer BDDI, RedDragon, Catlinbread etc). Doesn't go stadium rock loud but it doesn't sound like thats what you are after anyway.

Thanks Clarky, commission on its way!

It's an interesting rig John, it's excellent for DB, equally good for acoustic guitar, and even better for mandolin (which I'm playing more and more these days). In fact it seems to reproduce all acoustic instruments very well indeed.

With electric bass it will depend entirely what it is you want out of it. I play my fretless 4003 through it for a DB-like tone and it's perfect. It's also very good for Macca style thump and, within reason, a lot of other clean tones ranging from slap through to Motown/Stax. It doesn't do driven tones well or clanky rock or hard funk, but of course these and almost everything else are available if you stick the right box in front of it. My only reservation with electric bass is that I'm sure I can hear very slight overtones that I don't hear with any other instrument. This might of course be that it's reproducing the output more reliably than other amps, or it might have something to do with the input impedance, who knows. My only point of reference for a small rig designed for acoustic as well as electric instruments is my old PJB Super Flightcase combo rated at 300w, and I can say with my hand on my heart that the Acoustic Image rig is infinitely better, both in terms of bass response which is far more organic, and power, projection and 'hearability' on stage (by this I mean that not only do I hear myself better but so do the rest of the band, including the drummer!).

Well, I've talked myself out of selling it now!

In all seriousness I really don't want to sell it, but I really want to try and work with my Walkabout head and a lightweight 2x10 for both DB and electric bass for a while, and I'm at a point in life's trajectory at which I seem to have less money than I have things i need to spend it on! I suspect however that, as has happened before, I will miss the AI and it or something very like it will find its way back into my music room!

Chris

Again, thanks for the info Chris.
I'll have think.

I do wonder if I'm after the impossible. The nearest I had was an LMII and Epifani 1x12.....which, of course, I sold.
Did the DB, open and airy when needed but deep and rocky when called upon......GAS..sigh!

Where this unit wins is its amplification of more trebly acoustic instruments, that it seems to handle as well as bass instruments in a way that IME other gear does not, even PJB.

I won't be gutted if it doesn't sell, just hungry!

Thought I'd give this a good run with my electric basses this evening to provide some more info for John, and on that basis - and given nobody seems that interested at the moment - it's staying here. The cabs are actually outstanding, I ran both the AI head and a Mesa Walkabout head through them and, after a little fiddling about, was blown away. Guess I'd never really fully road tested this combo on electric bass before, and I although I need the money, I don't need it that much!