Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - Needing Advice on Earphones...

Rammsteinbrit

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a pair of Sound Magic PL30s for in ear monitoring and also silent practice at home...in both cases the sound is superb to my ears. They have a really clear and faithful presentation of what's being put through them and bass is warm but clear, certainly not wooly in any way! Only cost about £30 when I bought them...PL50s are also meant to be amazing!

Worth a look I'd say...

For bass I use some fairly cheap £25 Sennheisers from Tesco. They handle the low stuff much better than the £100 Shures I use for singing and guitar. The only problems I've had are when I play bass and sing - they don't handle both frequencies well, and the vocals tend to distort. They also don't seal that well - I find myself having to push them into my ears inbetween songs. I should really get some decent custom moulds but there's always something more interesting to spend the money on!

The best I've had were a pair of ultimate ears triple.fi 10, seriously nice sounding, very hi-fi, also, superb reduction in background noise when I had 'em in right! They were as good as my ear-plugs!

They're about £100 ish and I'd heartily recommend them if you've got the cash to do it

Save up and go for the Etymotics, I use ER4p and they are very very good indeed, the HF range are good too.

In-ear canal, single armature designs rely on a solid seal in the ear canal to provide their bass response, the Etymotic plugs are variable and very secure.

Shures are good at this too, but I prefer the ER4s.

• 2 weeks later...

You're always going to get a range of answers. I'm quite picky about my headphones, especially in-ear, but I found [url="http://jaben.net/shopping2/Hippo_VB.html"]these[/url] to be top notch. They're highly recommended by a lot of 'audiophiles' and the company from which you can purchase them from are great. Broke mine accidentally recently (was running through the house and they got caught on something and an ear piece tore completely clean off!) but a quick e-mail to Jaben and they replaced them... for free!