Why become a member? ×

5ths tuning... what do you reckon?

Bo Millward

I guess that this would give you an extended range without having to get more strings, but it's going to be tough to play. stretching over 6 frets is easy on a mandolin or violin, its a bit tougher on a cello and would be impossible on a bass (upright or electric) without huge hands. Maybe thats why we tune in 4ths? If you can't stretch that far then you're going to be moving your left hand a lot, or maybe restricting your playing to what is physically possible?

Anyway, all this is theory and the proof is in the eating. Maybe you could tune down in 5ths (BFCG?) to see what the extra stretch or hand movement feels like to play with before buying strings / cutting the nut etc. The floppy strings could be a bit distracting though :)

I bought a short scale on here, and that was tuned to fifths - 120-90-60-30. Seemed to work well with decent and even tension across the strings. It was quite interesting using the same strings tuned to fourths, but even then they were usable.

I left the bass tuned to fifths for quite a while though. It was quite fun playing regular patterns to see what it sounded like - inspirational in fact. I then just transposed the ideas across to a normally tuned bass. So definitely worth a punt if you're looking to kick start your creativity. :)

Red Mitchell used to tune in fifths on double bass, and his playing didn't sound at all limited, so it must be at least possible. He went for CGDA an octave below cello tuning. With your tuning, I presume the .020 E string is a typo, as this would be the E found on the second fret, D string of a standard tuned bass, yet .020 is lighter than a standard G string.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Tuning in fifths is more common on the double bass, especially in the very early days when they only had 3 strings. I think it's a great idea for the bass guitar and often considered it. It would give the range of a 6 string using only 4 strings, although there will be a lot of stretching involved. Sounds fun and will no doubt get the creative juices flowing.

Just do it!

the kind of music i play is out there groove metal so it's quite dissonant, here's a video of one of my bands tunes;

[media]http://youtu.be/469jSfDzZSY[/media]

We also have some tunes in a 5 string tuning tuned; G,D,A,D,G, so i think it'll work really well for our stile of music.

Any odd tunings you guys use?

Edited by Bo Millward