Why become a member? ×

Thinking of selling/trading off all my bass gear.

Tee

I haven't played my bass in anger since i split from my band, about two years ago. I kept my gear, in case i decided to move on to another band on bass, but that hasn't happened. Instead i've been writing my own material (on guitar). I am after all, originally a guitarist (not one of those) and very much enjoy playing. My aim is to record some of these tunes and maybe find a collaborator to do something with them.

I already put my Aguilar DB210 cab up as a feeler, but now i'm thinking of selling my head and US P-bass too and using the money/or trade for guitar/studio gear. I might then just pick up a cheap squier bass for recording purposes. When i look at it now, this seems like perhaps the right thing to do, as i think i gave it enough time to consider. I only know that if a while down the line i needed pro gear again, i would regret having sold my bass gear.

Has anyone else done this? Any thoughts?

T.

Edited by Tee

I can see the value of getting rid of the amplification, especially as you can still record the bass DI. However, surely a US P is better for recording with than a Squier? For what you would get for the P second hand, you might pay nearly that for a new Squier....

I would hang on to the P if I were you.

Edited by Conan

Its always a tough one, isn't it? I saw a 5-string Parker Fly bass the other week for £1200 and have a Gibson ES175 and Adamus steel string acoutic worth, together, well over £2K. I thought about it but always come back to not wanting to regret having sold such great instruments. In truth, the guitars rarely come off the wall. Every guitart I ever bought was hard won and selling them on always feels like a retrograde step.

You have a point. Perhaps holding on to the bass is a good idea (it's a fine example). I was just thinking it could be turned into a bit of gear i'd use more often. But as it's only the one bass, it might as well be a good one. Maybe selling my amp/cab set up only, is the way to go.

If you feel a bond to the Precision, I`d say keep it. If you really gel with a bass, no matter how many of the same there are around, it`s always worth keeping hold.

I`ve sold whole rigs/basses before, when jumping to guitar, then had to re-buy back again. Not a particular bind, aside from financially that is, but all of the bases were just tools. There was never one that I had that I really wished I`d kept. Whereas with my current gear, I know it would be really difficult to let go of either of my 70s Precisions.

I'm kinda doing the opposite. I have two guitars that hardly get played- so one, and maybe both of them are going to go.
Maybe in the future I may regret it but we shall see - I can't see the point in holding onto gear that's flipping awesome- but not played. If I do sell though and in the future come back to it I'll be kicking myself, I think I would have to spend a lot to find something as nice. oh well

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1346850767' post='1794018']
I'm kinda doing the opposite. I have two guitars that hardly get played- so one, and maybe both of them are going to go.
Maybe in the future I may regret it but we shall see - I can't see the point in holding onto gear that's flipping awesome- but not played.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm flogging (well, trying to at any rate) a couple of really lovely bits of kit that I never use in order to replace the one instrument I've ever really regretted selling - my Chapman Stick.

Amps and cabs move on, they get better and better - I regret selling Hiwatts (100, 200) in early 80s, but other than that my ampage is way better than ever. Guitars / basses are a personal thing. How good is the bass? is it a dream to play? does it have any special value? then go and compare with what is available. My G&L SB1 is a great bass, but the Chinese rockbasses are every bit as good and are crazy cheap s/h. I will keep the G&L for sentimental reasons (22+ year with me) and rarity - unlikely to get another one.