Why become a member? ×

My Crap Bass

wishface

there was an offer a few pages back where a member offered to have a look and tweak on this bass take up that offer or pay someone to do a set up
you dont seem confident in making the adjustments yourself and your not alone there, im not sure how you can label a bass crap ive played some bad ones but there still playable i even still own a couple of them :)

EDIT when was the last time you changed the strings in the 10 years you have owned the bass ?

Edited by mushers

Right i've just dug the pickup out and there was only a tiny bit of foam glued to the bottom which i've scraped off as best I can. It hasn't really made any difference to the height at all, nor to the sound of the E string. Replacing it wasn't easy and I've a horrible feeling ive squashed the wired by screwing it back as the springs around the screws came loose. Fortunately it all still works. But there wasn't anything there to work with, removing the foam hasn't made any noticeable difference at all, but then it was screwed in tight anyway.

[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1346963640' post='1795517']
there was an offer a few pages back where a member offered to have a look and tweak on this bass take up that offer or pay someone to do a set up
you dont seem confident in making the adjustments yourself and your not alone there, im not sure how you can label a bass crap ive played some bad ones but there still playable i even still own a couple of them :)

EDIT when was the last time you changed the strings in the 10 years you have owned the bass ?
[/quote]

about two months ago which was the first time in a couple of years.

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1346965760' post='1795552']
Did the flappy E string start when you changed the strings? If so, it sounds like a duff string.

When you lowered the E string, did you make sure that the E is not a lot lower than the A? That would cause the imalance in volume.
[/quote]

It's been like this for as long as I can remember. It might be a duff string, I can't be sure. The E string is about level with the A string. All the strings are pretty much level.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346963130' post='1795507']
Excuse me? Isn't that a little bit rude?
[/quote]

If it was, then I'm truly sorry and apologise.

I certainly only intended to be considerate to you and clear to other posters.
As a Dutchman, I'm fully aware that we have a different set of values and sensibilities than people in the UK have, and I try to be aware of this also whilst writing on a UK based forum. I'm aware I'm not always successful in this.
I felt a huge wave of harshness towards you was to be expected any minute, and I tried to make people think twice before posting.

best,
bert

<p>[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1346965844' post='1795554']
Meh.  I've tried to help, offered to set the bass up for free, and for my trouble been told that I'm rude.

I'm out.
[/quote]

I see.You made an offer, I thanked you for it and explained that I can't get to Gloucester. I'm not sure how you think that's being rude or unreasonable.

Edited by wishface

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1346966281' post='1795566']
If it was, then I'm truly sorry and apologise.

I certainly only intended to be considerate to you and clear to other posters.
As a Dutchman, I'm fully aware that we have a different set of values and sensibilities than people in the UK have, and I try to be aware of this also whilst writing on a UK based forum. I'm aware I'm not always successful in this.
I felt a huge wave of harshness towards you was to be expected any minute, and I tried to make people think twice before posting.

best,
bert
[/quote]

No problem.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1346965844' post='1795554']
Meh. I've tried to help, offered to set the bass up for free, and for my trouble been told that I'm rude.

I'm out.
[/quote]
Yeah, I noticed that the two offers of help from people relatively nearby, were quickly turned down by saying you are too far away, without even waiting to hear what you had to offer, for all the OP knows, you might be in OP's neck of the woods regularly, and could drop by to help sort out the bass.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1346966714' post='1795574']
Yeah, I noticed that the two offers of help from people relatively nearby, were quickly turned down by saying you are too far away, without even waiting to hear what you had to offer, for all the OP knows, you might be in OP's neck of the woods regularly, and could drop by to help sort out the bass.
[/quote]

You didn't notice, because you in particularly have not accurately read what I wrote. You earlier made the assumption that I hadn't tried any of the suggestions and had to correct you before. I see you are doing the same thing again. The first suggestion was made by someone that is currently unavailable to which I said that I didn't live in the city he did and that perhaps we could work something out. I don't have any transport and I don't even own a gig bag. It isn't a simple matter of just walking up the road to buy a newspaper for heaven's sake, please actually read the posts you are misrepresenting.The second was made by someone that lives, unfortunately, nowhere near me. What would you have me do, strap on a pair of wings and flap? Summon shadowfax? Again, the offer was met with gratitude and politness and I most certainly do NOT appreciate being traduced in this way. Your are out of order here, very much so.And if that person is in my neck of the woods for some reason then it is for him to say so. I'm not in the business of reading minds. I responded saying I live nowhere near him. Am I then meant to play a guessing game?

Edited by wishface

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1346966753' post='1795575']
What???  I made no comment about your health.  In fact I queried the person who did!

EDIT - thank you for realising that wasn't me and editing it out... please be more careful in future.
[/quote]

Likewise do not assume that I was not grateful for your offer. It is no less rude.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346967028' post='1795584']

Likewise do not assume that I was not grateful for your offer. It is no less rude.
[/quote]

You're not making yourself any friends or earning any respect here. This is a fantastic community, and we treat each other well. You're not reading posts properly, you're being excessively defensive, and you're accusing people of being rude, provocative and out of order when they are trying to do their best to help you.

As another poster said before, as far as I'm concerned you're on your own.

Cheers.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1346967269' post='1795588']
You're not making yourself any friends or earning any respect here.  This is a fantastic community, and we treat each other well.  You're not reading posts properly, you're being excessively defensive, and you're accusing people of being rude, provocative and out of order when they are trying to do their best to help you.

As another poster said before, as far as I'm concerned you're on your own.

Cheers.
[/quote]

And, again, I have been nothing but polite and friendly in response. And for the third time i THANKED you for your offer. Yet this is now the second time you've decided to throw that back in my face and tell me how much you don't want to help me.Never mind the fact that my understandable and reaosnable reluctance to tinker with something as delicate as a pickup on the only bass I own is met with derision and accusations of being ungrateful.Never mind the fact that following that advice was not successful, any follow up on the result of that advice will not be forthcoming because you and your friend have decided to chuck your toys out the pram. I don't particularly regard that as helpful at all, sir. The foam at the base of the pickup is glued to the thing and is placed there for a very good reason that I'm surprised you both chose not to mention. It's there to stop the pickup wire getting crushed by the pickup when it's screwd in place, which is now what's going to happen if i tighten it.

Edited by wishface

I think it's time to bail out, as it seems that the majority of us, are not getting what the OP really means when he writes something.

I would like to apologise for any misreading/interpretation of your posts by me.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1346967702' post='1795595']
I think it's time to bail out, as it seems that the majority of us, are not getting what the OP really means when he writes something.

I would like to apologise for any misreading/interpretation of your posts by me.
[/quote]

And that would be perfectly fine were it not for the fact that you are still doing it right here: you are again misrepresenting what I said even as you offer an apology for doing so. You are telling me that I have said the majority of people posting here are not getting what I said. Please do not speak for other people, certainly not in this kind of adversarial fashion. I'm afraid I cannot accept an apology offerened under those terms. If you don't wish to continue, having pushed me into a course of action that was not, shall we say, particularly helpful, well that's your choice. Consequently I would recommend you use whatever ignore fucntion this forum has and place me on it. I certainly don't need to be told multiple times about how ungrateful I apparently am, and how you don't intend to respond to me.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346967654' post='1795594']

I don't particularly regard that as helpful at all, sir. The foam at the base of the pickup is glued to the thing and is placed there for a very good reason that I'm surprised you both chose not to mention. It's there to stop the pickup wire getting crushed by the pickup when it's screwd in place, which is now what's going to happen if i tighten it.
[/quote]

My claim of you not reading things properly is nicely backed up here firstly by you calling me sir, when just to the left here it clearly states that I'm female.

And secondly because if you bother to go back and read my posts you will see that the suggestion to take out the foam was not mine. I wouldn't have told you that because I wouldn't do that myself.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1346968300' post='1795604']
My claim of you not reading things properly is nicely backed up here firstly by you calling me sir, when just to the left here it clearly states that I'm female.  

And secondly because if you bother to go back and read my posts you will see that the suggestion to take out the foam was not mine.  I wouldn't have told you that because I wouldn't do that myself.
[/quote]

At this point I can only assume that you are trying to provoke an argument. I don't really understand why. It was an honest oversight to assume you are male. I see no reason for that to warrant more unpleasantness. I read the posts people make (and I have read ALL of them, including yours), not their user profiles or the bits and bobs under their user name (which is also written in a very light font anyway). I also didn't say that it was you that advised me to remove the foam, though I certainly don't recall you saying not to do it either. If you thought that was bad advice you might well have spoken up.

I think your at a dead end here mate, we don't know your level of skill even for simple tasks so something we might take for granted could result in you ruining this bass, your going to have to either teach yourself or pay someone to sort it out for you IMO . The only good news is that I'm sure that bass could be made good for little cost :) I reckon I could adjust everything on that bass to beyond playable and Mel would have it sorted and gig ready in an evening ;)

wishface, I was on this thread this morning and somehow since it seems to have dissolved into you calling people rude and berating them for not reading posts "correctly"

can I suggest you have been given a lot of advice, and that, combined with research we would presume you are doing on the internet would have solved all the problems you have with your bass. The fact you say your bass still isn't any good gives the impression that maybe you're not understanding or following the advice correctly. Setting up a bass isn't just doing x, y and z - it's reacting to what is in front of you to make it work - from some of your responces it is pretty clear to folk who regularly set instruments up you're not doing this.
For example tightening the truss rod - it's not a case of just tightening it, it's tightening it correctly. You were asked a few times by people for measurements that would help people advise you which you didn't do, maybe you didn't understand why they were asking or why it was important- which suggests again you need to go read something on how to set up a guitar. Fender have a guide I think on their website or google or your local library may be able to help you.
Again when you said you couldn't lower your pickup further you were told why, the bit of foam. And I remember reading someone say that if needed you could trim it down a bit. You chose to read that as "take it out". Ultimatly pickup height is unimportant if the earlier stages of set up havn't been done correctly. The key word there is correctly.

You're asking a bunch of people who know what they are doing to use their skills to help you out and save you £20 set up costs. May I suggest if you go away and research yourself what to do, and then come here to check that you've done something correctly or not it would produce an environment more conducive to it being set up correctly.
Failing that if you would like to be taken out of your misery ill give you £50 for it. ;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1346976384' post='1795696']
wishface, I was on this thread this morning and somehow since it seems to have dissolved into you calling people rude and berating them for not reading posts "correctly" [/quote]

I haven't berated anyone. Your choice of words is very poor. I have been perfectly polite and reasonable, but i certainly will not tolerate people continuing to misrepresent what I have said. And I did not call anyone rude for misreading my post until they continued to do so after I had corrected them. I think it's grossly unfair to treat people in that way especially when they are looking for advice. In my opinion that is completely out of order.

[quote]can I suggest you have been given a lot of advice, and that, combined with research we would presume you are doing on the internet would have solved all the problems you have with your bass. The fact you say your bass still isn't any good gives the impression that maybe you're not understanding or following the advice correctly. Setting up a bass isn't just doing x, y and z - it's reacting to what is in front of you to make it work - from some of your responces it is pretty clear to folk who regularly set instruments up you're not doing this.[/quote]

What am I not reacting to? If you want me to react to something when I do it, then explain it to me. I'm no mindreader.

I have followed all the advice that has been given. All of it. I said so at the time but some people chose to ignore that and accuse me of making excuses. I do not understand at all how that even makes sense. To criticise someone that has never tinkered with pickups and truss rods before for being hesitant is in my opinion equally out of order. That isn't making excuses at all. I've said it before and I'll say it now: this is the only bass I have, if i screw it up then it won't be the people on here that will lose out.
I also didn't say the bass wasn't any good. I said it was a cheap bass, which it is. it has limitations on what can be done with it. It plays the way it plays. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Do you understand that expression? Certainly improvements can be made, but within limitations. It's not going to turn into the bass guitar equivalent of cindarella. I have, again as I have said, made some improvements. I can't do anymore until I can find a replacement E string of a suitably different guage to see if that makes a difference and being criticised for not immediately doing so when i don't live near a bass guitar shop nor have the money to currently spare right now and it's 10pm is ridiculous. I will replace the string when I get the opportunity and I don't care to be called lazy defeatist or to be accused of making excuses in the meantime.

[quote]For example tightening the truss rod - it's not a case of just tightening it, it's tightening it correctly. You were asked a few times by people for measurements that would help people advise you which you didn't do, maybe you didn't understand why they were asking or why it was important- which suggests again you need to go read something on how to set up a guitar. Fender have a guide I think on their website or google or your local library may be able to help you.
Again when you said you couldn't lower your pickup further you were told why, the bit of foam. And I remember reading someone say that if needed you could trim it down a bit. You chose to read that as "take it out". Ultimatly pickup height is unimportant if the earlier stages of set up havn't been done correctly. The key word there is correctly.[/quote]

I was never asked for measurements, i have no idea what measurements you would even be referring to nor how to take them. I was told merely to turn the truss rod a small amount and then leave it for a day. That's what I have done. The adjustment made no appreciable difference. The most improvement has come from me fiddling with the saddles, which has improved the intonation. I also explained that fiddling with the saddles was awkward and clumsy (ie i could just as easily push them too hard) because just manipulating the screw wasn't enough to make the saddle move. I had to get in there with my finger and push it. Fortunately it has made a noticeable improvement. It's not 100% perfect but I'm not about to risk changing it if it means making it worse or pushing too hard and going the other way.
I can also see that you have also not read what I have written either: i did take the pickup out and it was a mistake to remove that foam. Something that noone here was correct to observe (until after the fact, I might add). That foam is there for a reason, and removing it has not made any difference at all. There was no way to trim that foam down at all. It was not made clear that there was a narrow strip of foam glued to the udnerside of the pickup. It's no good now saying 'well we didn't say there wasn't' or words to that affect while still accusing me of doing nothing. I have done everything that was asked. You did not ask me to measure anything. If pickup height was not important you should have said to leave it alone and not started talking about removing foam or some attempt at trimming it, you certainly did not say "don't remove it, only trim it".

I think it's borderling disgusting to accuse me of making excuses when I have done everything that was asked. To be accused of making excuses when I showed quite reasonable hesitance out of frear or making a potentially costly error, and to then say 'oh we didn't say that' or some such when I explain what happened. You did not ask for measurements and you did not explain how either. I think you are completely and utterly bang out of order and to use the 'we were trying to help because we're the experts and you're not' attitude is outrageous. As is:

[quote]Failing that if you would like to be taken out of your misery ill give you £50 for it. ;)
[/quote]

If you think that's funny you're very mistaken.

OK I think this is getting a bit out of hand. I appreciate you just want some help, and lots of people are chipping in and trying to help, but perhaps it is not the help that you need.
Wishface, it seems the two issues at play (besides the cheapness of the bass) are that you don't have the money to get this sorted by somebody else, and you don't have the knowledge/time to sort it yourself, is that right?

It looks like the thing to try at this stage is a new set of strings before we go any further, its a simple job to replace the strings, but as you say you can't afford them.

PM me your address Wishface (click on my name and send me a private message), I will send you a brand new set of Rotosound strings I have here on the shelf.

That way, you can rule out the strings being the issue and we can go from there, step by step until we help you get your bass working the way you want it. Trust us when we say you CAN approximate a silk purse out of a sow's ear with the right knowledge and tools, and we are all here to help you do that, really.