Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This should have more hits!

stingrayPete1977

Why is this not in the millions, no one who owns a fretless bass should of gone without seeing it never mind the rest of us!
Warning graphic Pino content ;)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BkGCkwJCWE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BkGCkwJCWE[/url]
I dont really like PY but thats everything you ever need to learn in one song surely? Love it!

Not only that, but it also reminds me why I was right in giving up synths. Effing hate those poly sounds, and the synth world still has not recovered from this eighties illness. Exception for the DX7 though - that was a reasonable sound imho.
But Pino gives us the type of bass playing that seriously taught me that I should learn bass.

Thanks for posting.

best,
bert

That clip, to me, is an A-Z of fretless clichés to be avoided at all costs. Not Pino himself really, but the whole host of imitators it spawned that couldn't play anything without loads of wildly exaggerated vibrato or bloody sliding harmonics.

I've seriously fallen out of love with the whole fretless thing - it really makes me cringe.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1346080252' post='1784974']
That clip, to me, is an A-Z of fretless clichés to be avoided at all costs. Not Pino himself really, but the whole host of imitators it spawned that couldn't play anything without loads of wildly exaggerated vibrato or bloody sliding harmonics.

I've seriously fallen out of love with the whole fretless thing - it really makes me cringe.
[/quote]

It wasn't cliche when that track was released, it was new and fresh.

But now, like any perishable item, it's more than a bit smelly.

Very much of its time. Not a fan of the song but there's no denying that Pino carved out a significant sound on his fretless that got widely ripped off. The reason Pino is my favourite player though is that he moved really quickly with the times, identified where new music was happening and went with it, whilst at the same time keeping his ridiculously melodic chops and simply transferring them over to fretted! Amazing, amazing bass player.