Why become a member? ×

Plugging one combo into another?

Looper

At the risk of great mockery I'm going to ask anyway! I have a Marshall MB30 and an old Carlsbro Bassline 300. What I'm wondering is can I use them together to get the pre-amp stage from the Marshall and the power-amp and speaker from the Carlsbro? The Marshall has a "line out" socket, (the manual suggests this for plugging into a multi-track recording machine). If I take a lead from there and plug it into the input on the carlsbro will it just blow up? Not rushing to try it but I am curious and do tend to try things if I'm not told not to! Thanks.

You would need some kind of line in or fx loop on the carlsbro which I presume it has not got? A lot of the line outs/ phones out on smaller amps are emulated rather than a proper signal, try listening with headphones I bet it sounds weird. If you put a bass through my Marshall guitar amp on the gain channel and wear phones it produces the exact Cliff Burton bass solo sound!

Take the "line out" of the Marshall & plug it into the "aux return" on the Carlsberg. Job done, bish bash boom. ;)

I used to have a Carlsberg Cobra 90 Bass head & it had a DI in on the front of it. It said "Direct Inject", so if your's has something similar, it'll work fine.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1346078451' post='1784933']
just using them like monitors in stereo ,)
[/quote]

Then Yes. Just treat them like 2 active monitors (& if you want, you could plug your bass into a stereo pedal such as a chorus or a Bass Murf & fire one side to each).

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1346060779' post='1784549']
Going on a slight tangent here, I have a small kustom combo. I was wondering if I got another one, could I use them like studio monitors?

I would have thought so, as they seem to power up the same way..
[/quote]
Would two sound twice as bad or just the same but more of it? :D