Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bass lessons

Chrismanbass

I find if people like your playing they ask you if you give lessons..or local music shops ask you.

I think the going rate is typically £30 an hour but it depends how structured your lessons will be and what you will be teaching.I
am not sure you could expect to charge beginners that.

You could always book a lesson with someone and see what they do and see if you can improve on that....

In Holland and here, it's quite customary to have little ads on music shop windows, and many music shops also have lists of teachers and/or cards, as the shops get a lot of questions about teachers. You could also work as the shop's own teacher.

best,
bert

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1345814823' post='1781908']
hi guys i've decided to start giving bass lessons to earn a bit of extra money was just wondering if any of the other teachers out there would mind offering a bit of advice on how to pick up students?
[/quote]

I just want to pick up on the first line.
You say you want to teach to 'earn a bit of extra money'. Is that the main or sole reason you want to teach or
do you actually want to pass on information and knowledge? I only ask because I know many people who have
started teaching for that reason and frankly,they aren't good enough. There is a lot more to consider when teaching
than just your financial gain.
I'm not saying anything against you personally,because obviously I don't know you-but I just felt the need to ask.

My main income at the moment are my gigs and i earn enough to live off from this (i know many people would give an arm to be in that situation) however i'm finding that i have a few spare hours a week which i could potentially fill with lessons as another income stream (not wanting all my eggs in one basket) Also i've just moved into a house where there is an adjoining studio which i could use to teach and so the time seems right to start giving lessons

so in answer to your question no its a combination of factors and my situation at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

I taught 'cello for a few years and by accident have just started teaching Bass. The two don't necessarily translate that well btw 4ths and 5ths etc. I always taught kids, but now I'm teaching adults which is a different ball game.

I've always felt a great deal of responsibility to my pupils and do spend time planning lessons and getting all my photocopying done in advance. Once you get known then there's the word of mouth thing, but putting an ad in a music shop might be an idea.

I currently get paid in Jack Daniels as the guy I'm teaching owns a shop...Rock and Roll !!!

LC

First step is to decide who you want to teach and what you want to teach (any particular style, reading or ear etc). Then check the legal aspects (CRB if it's kids etc).

The final part of the jigsaw is are you cut out to teach? You obviously know how to play bass but can you pass that on in a structured way? I know some brilliant musicians who just cannot teach anyone who is almost as proficient player than themselves, they can't think down to the level of a beginner or novice to whom what seems obvious to themselves is obvious to the student.

Steve