Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender FSR Hand Stained Precision...Trigger Pulled!

LemonCello

Welcome to the club ;)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183334-nbd-fender-fsr-am-std-precision/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183334-nbd-fender-fsr-am-std-precision/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

Edited by danweb22

[quote name='danweb22' timestamp='1345574087' post='1779058']
Welcome to the club ;)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183334-nbd-fender-fsr-am-std-precision/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

Nice one Ben, can I expect good things and is the pup a standard AM or a custom shop as on the new standards?

Cheers,

LC

Saturday morning update! So after a night on the wine, the door bell went at 8.30 and the parcel express dude was standing there with the box. I could have done with a nit more of a lay in the sleep off my hangover, but hey, that soon disappeared!

Getting it out of one of the new SKB's (very substantial), it does have a very slight 'knock' on the back. I suspect it has been looked at in the shop and picked up this ding there as one end of the box was taped up. That really makes it an ex demo and therefore it should have been cheaper but I guess it was already £100 cheaper than the one in Dawsons so I'll live with it. The finish is superb with the lovely ash grain showing thru, although I suspect that this particular finish will 'ding' easily and will show.

The build quality looks good. I like the rolled fingerboard edges which gives it a 'played in' feel and the neck pocket looks super tight. One thing that irritates me about new Fenders is the fag of having to take the knobs and retaining washers off in order to peel off the pickguard film. The polishing cloth supplied also leaves yellow fluff all over the place so that has gone in the bin, replaced by a lint free cloth - no fluff!

I've spent the last hour noodling to some Stones numbers and first impressions are very positive. The bass has a very satisfying dry, dubby thump which is typically Precision, but you don't get it on all of them. The tone is warm and importantly 'even' across the strings and rolling up the tone knob produces a nice 'bite' or 'edge', quite growly actually. The neck is comfy with a matt finish, headstock is varnished. I haven't put it on the scales yet but it feels nicely balanced and certainly not battleship heavy, which I expected as Ash tends to weigh a little more than Alder. Again, the strap supplied will be great on a 6 string electric but too narrow for a bass, why do they supply straps like that for basses?

The real test will be band practice. Unfortunately, our drummer is on hols for a week so that will have to wait a bit. All in all, I'm very happy, with only slight irritation at that tiny 'ding' on the back, there were only 9 of these that found there way into the UK (apparently) so, nothing I can do really.

LC

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1345903295' post='1782944']
Also quite like the dings they pick up throughout there life, bit like us and wrinkles ! Also you could pick it out as yours if you had to
[/quote]

Aye....true!

As for pics, whats the score with uploading here, I've tried and it says I've exceeded my 30mb upload limit???? Is that a site thing?

LC