Why become a member? ×

B Quad 4 Brian Bromberg Peavey Fretless 4 £ SOLD

eubassix

Just placing some photos and 'thoughts' intially: will add some further details and specs asap. ...
The BQ4 is a quite special and unique instrument - particularly in the hands of Brian Bromberg for/with whom it was developed. The neck is graphite and very similar to the Modulus .. but it also has the polymer (?) finish, similar to that on the Pedulla MVP 'Buzz' basses; so it really 'sings'. There's no truss rod but it does have the micro-tilt. It works great as a 'standard' fretless with plenty of the desired 'mwwahhh' but also has the Piezo pickup which can be used independently or mixed with the Mag-p/ups. Plus the panning effect (rear adjustable, as are the piezos) which you can hear on BB's early/solo albums: it has a stereo/mono output and a series of 8 holes in the rear cover.I don't think there are many of the white/fretless models about (!).

The body is of selected flame maple (unfortunately, hidden by the solid finish): 2x VFL active Humbuckers plus 4x Piezo pickups; Controls are - Master Volume, Pickup Volumes (stacked), Active Bass/Treble (stacked), Piezo Vol., Piezo Tone, Stereo/Mono switch. The Piezo Pan (+ Volumes) in the rear cavity regulate the signals sent to the left & right (stereo) outputs.
Reasonable weight at <9lb.

£ SOLD

Edited by eubassix

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks C-K.
Had this on ebay recently and, for the first time I'm sure, had not only 0-bids .. but also 0-watchers !!
I dropped it for the final 24 hours to £888, so am now trying the same here.
It is an exceptional bass, from the 'best' period of PV (when they tried to emulate high-end instruments, and to develop something new - like this one, in conjunction with the inimitable Brian Bromberg).
The fundamental tone is very much like the very popular Pedulla 'buzz' models (with the phenolic/coated f/board) .. but there's so much more available, with the piezo and panning options (* pan feature requires a stereo/dual lead, which I don't have).
£888 (plus postage)

It's taking all my strength right now not to buy this thing...these basses really are the mutts nuts! As has been said, they come from a time when Peavey made a serious effort to put out a range of great instruments (instead of just the Cirrus series and Van Halen guitars). As a result, these B Quads and the Palladium basses really impress everyone who gets their hands on them.

I don't need to say it, but I'll reiterate some of the good things about it. Graphite neck, piezos, gloss-finished fretboard, impeccable build quality. These things sound bloody class (about as close to my ideal fretless tone as it gets, if I can't sound like Bakithi Kumalo, I'll happily take the sound these things make!). Someone, buy this and save me from myself and my late night GAS attacks! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='212894' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:55 AM']... B Quads and the Palladium basses really impress everyone who gets their hands on them......I'll reiterate some of the good things about it. Graphite neck, piezos, gloss-finished fretboard, impeccable build quality. These things sound bloody class (about as close to my ideal fretless tone as it gets, if I can't sound like Bakithi Kumalo, I'll happily take the sound these things make!). Someone, buy this and save me from myself and my late night GAS attacks! :)[/quote]

Thanks for the positive comments and bump: you now must give-in to temptation!...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='213072' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:45 AM']Wow! played one of these with a sexy top,in the early 90s. I havent seen many of these about... Awsome bass...

Bumpity bump[/quote]

Again, thanks .... there were some with a flamed/natural (or translucent) top (and I'll bet the wood beneath this one is possibly the same, which seems an odd thing to do). White + fretless is something of a rarity. The phenoilic/gloss finish on the f/board plus the extensive EQ/piezo really makes this fretless option 'sing'...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently ebayed:-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160257545946&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=006[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been watching this on the Bay of EEE

Arghhhhh .....i must resist ...must resist .........

Want v need v have to have .......

Nope ......its rude not too ..

[b]PM winging its way ........[/b]

Graphite Piezos Fretless Stereo AND In a plush case ............Thinks Mrs V8 Will be Impressed ( not )

:)