Why become a member? ×

scared of underplaying

christhammer666

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1344368348' post='1763602']
....have a recording session for the doom/industrial thing im doing at the mo coming up....
[/quote]

I have no idea what doom/industrial is, but in my bass playing experience overplaying in the studio always kills a number dead. It's very hard to screw up a song by underplaying.

If you come away thinking I could have played more then you probably got it just right.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1344435707' post='1764439']
I have no idea what doom/industrial is, but in my bass playing experience overplaying in the studio always kills a number dead. It's very hard to screw up a song by underplaying.

If you come away thinking I could have played more then you probably got it just right.
[/quote]
+1 good point

If playing mainly root notes sounds good stick with it. Try to add inversions -if you have several bars of C for example play E as you progress to the next chord to give the line a sense of direction. Also try playing C on the D string for a section and then moving down to C on the A string - this will help to contour the texture of the song. What you play can also influence the other band members! You will know when it feels right I'm sure.

I'm gonna agree & say keep to what the song needs & maybe add some appropriate fills or unison with a guitar occasionally.

If you get bored playing just root notes, play alternating Root - V on the beat. Sure to go down a treat.

It's not about playing a little or a lot, but about improving the song with what you play. Sometimes that's by accentuating certain vocal passages, sometimes by not playing in places to create contrast, sometimes by adding hooks of your own in places where there's space to do it.

Some might roll their eyes at this but one guy who routinely does a good job of this is Flea. He can play busy or he can play **** all but he makes it work and he improves the song.

Listen to early Anathema.

Lots of chordal work going on there and lots of minor harmonies too. Doom is all about the groove; by all means create busy basslines, but make sure not to lose sight of the groove.

Make sure you got a lovely fuzzy tone too!

Truckstop

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1344416406' post='1764015']
This is why it is important to record your tracks and listen and make sure everything is ok before you go into the studio.
[/quote]

Agree 100%. The studio is not the place to be changing things. Nail it beforehand then concentrate on playing it accurately.

Depends how you record it.. Line by line or in-one.
You need continuity through the track and you need to hear it with the gtr's bells and whistles in there and you will probably not have room for anything else.... So just go for killer sound and a few low key fills... You'll be lucky if it survives anyway but at least everyone in the band will know who trashed the bass sound... Lol.