Why become a member? ×

EBS combo crapped out - "spares or repair" value?

RhysP

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1344529654' post='1766092']
Understand your frustration but I would generally buy Quality amps out of warranty..so basically SH and then I would expect that quality
to come to the fore if/when I needed it worked on. I have a very solid and sorted designer/engr who can
make sense of anything, so as long as the core components are good...and therefore avoid cack kit for this reason... then it should be easy to fix..and easy to work on.
[/quote]

Problem is, these days as things get smaller and lighter alot of the technology inside has to be integrated stuff. Take your Car Stereo sized class D heads, produced by MarkBass, GenzBenz etc. etc. - They all have the same power section, built by B&O and supplied as a unit. If anything goes wrong with it even the manufacturer of the head can't really do anything about it other than replace the unit. More and more this is being designed-in to gear to save weight, time, money, space etc. Added to which they are being designed and built with machines that can do things people can't.

It's the same with cars, you need a computer to fix them these days not a wrench. Some are even sealed units with a finite lifespan.
If you want something that can easily be repaired these days you're going to have to make some sacrifice on the size and weight of the thing and cart around a large heavy box.

Which is why I don't use Micros... and I don't think 20lbs is heavy for an amp anyway.

I understand weight is a consideration, of course, but there are compromises also....so I will take a a very well eng'd piece of kit ...and maybe pay a premium for it.. to know that even if I work it VERY hard
I can get it repaired rather than have to write it off.. and once you are out of warranty, this may be the choice you are left with.

I accept the washing machine and PC argument that they are so cheap that after 4 years or so, you just get a new one...but with subjective things like sound..this is a whole new ball game as far as I am concerned.

Personally, I am not totally convinced that Micro/class D, NEO or composite cabs are the answer.... I've been able to pick holes in all the stuff of that ilk, I've tried.

I might be coming round to the thinking that there is nothing to really beat a C_Audio type quality amp into some Martins that QSC can't get anywhere near, for example. its basically called ooomph... :lol: :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1344785495' post='1769086']
Well, it's back & it sounds better than it did, but I'm just not really happy with it.

I'm going to put it on Ebay cheaply so somebody can buy it & have a go at sorting it out if they feel like it..
[/quote]

So has the guy charged you for fixing it but it isn't fixed?

I don't know really. The distortion problem has gone but now it's just started making lots of static-y noises.
I'm completely fed up with it to be honest & I just want to see the back of the f***ing thing.

I've got an audition for a band in couple of weeks & I can't do it with this piece of crap. :(

Wish I'd never got rid of my Ashdown - that's the only amp I've had that's never given me any grief.

I'd take it back to him, having made sure its nothing else in your setup that's causing the static noise. Its your call, but you won't get much for it if its not working, even if you want to see it gone I'd get it fixed first then sell it as working - you'll get a lot more towards a replacement Ashdown or whatever you decide to get!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1344864133' post='1770244']
I'd take it back to him, having made sure its nothing else in your setup that's causing the static noise. Its your call, but you won't get much for it if its not working, even if you want to see it gone I'd get it fixed first then sell it as working - you'll get a lot more towards a replacement Ashdown or whatever you decide to get!
[/quote]

+1. You'll get some weak offers on an amp with issues. Most people would suspect it might be beyond economic repair - and the person to ask is a good tech. Hopefully it's a small fix. You'd probably be able to get a reasonable chunk of your money back then.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1344864133' post='1770244']
[/quote]

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1344866248' post='1770293']
+1. You'll get some weak offers on an amp with issues. Most people would suspect it might be beyond economic repair - and the person to ask is a good tech. Hopefully it's a small fix. You'd probably be able to get a reasonable chunk of your money back then.
[/quote]

The thing is, I had it advertised for sale at £400 for months both on here & locally when it was working properly & nobody bought it, even though loads of people said what a bargain it was. I really don't see the point in throwing more money at it if I'm going to be taking a kicking on it price-wise anyway.

The guy I used for the repair obviously wasn't any good, I don't drive so getting it anywhere is a logistical nightmare & another repair bil when I'm probably only going to get £200 for it fully working just seems pointless.

Somebody contacted me through Gumtree when I first advertised it & offered me £250 for it; I thought he was a cheeky bastard at the time but I wish to god I'd sold it to him now.

I hate amps anyway - I view them as nothing more than a necessary evil & have no interest in them whatsoever. The thought of having to go through all the hassle of choosing & buying another one is doing my head in.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1344868814' post='1770349']
The thing is, I had it advertised for sale at £400 for months both on here & locally when it was working properly & nobody bought it, even though loads of people said what a bargain it was. I really don't see the point in throwing more money at it if I'm going to be taking a kicking on it price-wise anyway.

The guy I used for the repair obviously wasn't any good, I don't drive so getting it anywhere is a logistical nightmare & another repair bil when I'm probably only going to get £200 for it fully working just seems pointless.

Somebody contacted me through Gumtree when I first advertised it & offered me £250 for it; I thought he was a cheeky bastard at the time but I wish to god I'd sold it to him now.

I hate amps anyway - I view them as nothing more than a necessary evil & have no interest in them whatsoever. The thought of having to go through all the hassle of choosing & buying another one is doing my head in.
[/quote]

That kinda sucks. It is hard to sell used gear for a good price (for the seller) these days. Some stuff won't even get 50% after it leaves the wrapper (like cheap pedals). Don't stress it, whatever you choose. You'll be able to find something to play through - although a great reliable rig will rarely come cheap.
Better than nothing but not what you need. :(

If its the Chinese made ones i would be tempted to get rid as you have suggested. I looked at them in the local store and they don't look as well built as the price would have you think they should be. All opinion i know but even the guy in the shop shuffled me over to something else when i started taking a really close look at the new range of stuff from EBS. I love the old stuff. The newer stuff feels cheap.

The repair tech that you used has an obligation to fix this, give him a try.

He might be able to fix it again, perhaps 2 components has popped? changing one has now effected another. If I had repaired it, I would have it back for a 2nd attempt and of course I would not charge again.