Why become a member? ×

Is this really a 63 jazz?

Just seen this on t-bay
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-1963-Custom_W0QQitemZ290130106308QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-196...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Would Fender allow a pice of wood with so many knotts in be used for a natural finish bass?.
Or could it be a painted bass that has been stripped?.

I'm sure it has value as an instrument but I doubt it's as high as £1000. It took me a long time, much money and several basses to realise that when buying a bass you have to keep a careful eye on resale value, and I think that would be really hard to shift if it turned out not to be 'the one'
Chris
PS those knots sure don't loook right do they?

I've stripped and refinished a number of bass bodies and never seen one with knots in it like that, however, I have never come close to stripping something like a 60s bass body of any sort, so my experience is somewhat limited!

I always look at sales/auctions like this and have to ask myself when does it [b]cease[/b] being (in this instance) a Fender '63 Jazz?

Assuming the bass and neck are genuine as the seller describes them, by the sellers admission the body and neck didn't start on the same instrument, so can it technically be a '63 Jazz? Why not a '63 Precision?

The recent listing on this forum of a JV Squier highlighted this issue perfectly, it appeared the only part that could be considered JV was the inscribed neck plate!

This isn't a dig at anyone in particular, I just wondered how much you can change on any instrument before it ceases to be what it was described as when first purchased?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='19843' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:42 PM']I always look at sales/auctions like this and have to ask myself when does it [b]cease[/b] being (in this instance) a Fender '63 Jazz?

Assuming the bass and neck are genuine as the seller describes them, by the sellers admission the body and neck didn't start on the same instrument, so can it technically be a '63 Jazz? Why not a '63 Precision?

The recent listing on this forum of a JV Squier highlighted this issue perfectly, it appeared the only part that could be considered JV was the inscribed neck plate!

This isn't a dig at anyone in particular, I just wondered how much you can change on any instrument before it ceases to be what it was described as when first purchased?[/quote]

+1 John

The JV was a bit silly and I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't roundly discredited as would have been the case on the old BW, it was so obviously not what it was described as :)

There's at least five dubious 'vintage' Fenders on ebay at the moment, and as I'm no expert you can guess there's more. By dubious I don't mean deliberate cons, simply basses that are not what the seller - possibly innocently - thinks they are (apart from the 'vintage Fender' for which the seller requires "payment into my Spanish bank account as I'm there on holiday at the moment", which is clearly a con). Last year a guy was selling a '1970 Fender Jazz' on ebay. I mailed him about it and he seemed a nice guy who, at an antiques auction, had stumbled across something that might be worth a bit. We talked a while on the phone and he sounded like a great guy who'd had a stroke of luck. Anyway, we agreed that it certainly wasn't a Fender and probably wasn't even vintage. He said "oh well, would have been nice" and said he'd close the auction and relist it as an unknown bass. He didn't and it sold for about £800 to some poor sod. Just to make things worse, ebay blocked the emails I tried to send to the buyer!

Relating to the above posts, don't be fooled by either good descriptions or a seemingly open/nice seller saying "if you're interested you can come and play it any time", as that's what any good conman would say. All he has to do is stall a while with "[Top Ten hit], really sorry mate, I'm busy Friday, the wife's mum's up for the weekend" and you bid anyway thinking "sounds like a nice guy".

Chris