Why become a member? ×

Overwater Original Series (four and/or five-string models)

Kees_SoS

Hi,

I've been playing Overwater basses for a number of years and know the guys well. Ever since my first visit to their workshop more than a decade ago I've wanted to own an Original Series, and I'm now seriously considering commissioning one, or perhaps even a fretted/fretless pair. However, there don't seem to be too many on the secondhand market at the moment -- and five-string examples seem to be mega rare -- so trying one out first is almost an impossibility. As a result, I'm also unsure of what specs to choose, and whether to go for a four or five-string.

I know there are a few owners on here, so if any of you read this, I have a few questions and would be interested in hearing any info you'd be willing to share with me.

Regards,

Kees

Yes, exactly. Are these beauties yours? I actually found these photos in a thread a while ago, but thought they belonged to a user called JPJ and mailed him about it a couple of days ago. He hasn't replied yet, though.

As I said in my post, I've wanted an Original Series for years. However, I'm not a big guy (5'10" with smallish hands), and I also had some serious tendon problems last year, so I'm curious as to how these basses are playability-wise. Consequently, I'd be interested to hear how you find the 36" scale in combination with the long body, expecially when playing at the bottom end of the neck. Any info you could give me on the following would also be useful:[list]
[*]Weight/balance
[*]Balance tonally and tension-wise across the strings
[*]What string gauges you find work best
[*]Tone/tonal possibilities
[/list]
However, by all means mention anything you feel might be relevant or of interest. I'm just keen to hear the experiences of anyone who owns one or more of these instruments.

I may also be interested in a secondhand example if you know of one going somewhere.

Yes these are both mine. I got them both second hand - the fretted from my local music shop back in 1993 and the fretless 4 or 5 years ago on eBay, so neither were built specifically for me.

Weight-wise at 4.6 and 4.8 kg they aren't my lightest basses, but they're not the heaviest either. However they do balance very well on the the strap and better IMO than a Fender Jazz. I haven't had any problems with the longer scale length and at just under 5' 6" I'm quite a bit shorter than you - in fact having gone pretty much from a short-scale Burns to the Overwater I didn't even realise that it was extra long scale under I bought my first set of replacement (long scale) strings and wondered why they didn't fit!

I use the extra-long Overwater Medium gauge strings (steels on the fretted, nickels on the fretless) and find that for me the balance both tonally and for compliance is excellent.

Now here's the important bit - if you get Overwater to make you a new bass in the "Original" shape it will not be the same as one of the 80s models like mine. A new original will have the current Overwater pre-amp which is probably more versatile than the version they were using in the 80s (and certainly less battery hungry) but it does not work in the same way. When I bought the fretless, the pervious owner had at some point replaced the Overwater pre-amp with a Ken Smith one, so I asked Overwater about the possibility of getting an original pre-amp fitted only to be told that they were no longer being made. Also the pickups and hardware are different on the modern Overwaters all of which will have an impact on the overall sound.

My fretted Overwater was used in a dance-rock band that I played in in the late 90s where it had to compete with electronically produced bass sounds and the tones I was getting out of it (helped by a rack full of effects) varied from deep and dubby to Peter hook style lead bass. ATM I use it for my 70s rock covers band where in conjunction with a valve pre-amp I get a suitably big fat rock bass sound.

If you want to know what a more modern version of the Overwater Original is like get in touch with [url=http://basschat.co.uk/user/393-tayste-2000/]tayste_2000[/url] who has a much more recently made example.

As for getting an 80s model second-hand, they don't turn up very often. I've only seen a couple come up on eBay, and they rarely sell because the asking price is nearly always much too high and few potential buyers want to pay that much.

Thanks for your detailed reply. The info will definitely come in handy.

I was actually discussing the issue of the electronics with Martin Lee when I was at Overwater last month, and he was explaining the fact that the parts for the older models are no longer available. However, he did say something to the effect that they could probably be custom made if necessary -- at least, that's the way I understood it. I don't think anyone has ever asked for that specifically, though.

Funnily enough, I've been talking to tayste_2000 today, as Laurence Blackadder suggested I contact him via Facebook. He also gave me some useful info and offered to let me try his bass next time I'm over visiting my parents in Crewe, so I'll definitely take him up on that.

I remember your fretless being on eBay and actually contacted Chris for some info on it, but I decided against it in the end.
If I saw one now, though, I'd snap it up straight away.

Have you seen the Original Series basses Overwater built recently? They look fantastic.

Cheers,

Kees

I played a couple of RC customs owned by Rod Clements.

They were beautiful... I sold one on eBay for him a few years ago, and he ended up keeping the other.

You can hear the fretless here...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsHvFOAGJ8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsHvFOAGJ8k[/url]

[quote name='Kees_SoS' timestamp='1343597652' post='1752622']
Thanks for your detailed reply. The info will definitely come in handy.

I was actually discussing the issue of the electronics with Martin Lee when I was at Overwater last month, and he was explaining the fact that the parts for the older models are no longer available. However, he did say something to the effect that they could probably be custom made if necessary -- at least, that's the way I understood it. I don't think anyone has ever asked for that specifically, though.

Funnily enough, I've been talking to tayste_2000 today, as Laurence Blackadder suggested I contact him via Facebook. He also gave me some useful info and offered to let me try his bass next time I'm over visiting my parents in Crewe, so I'll definitely take him up on that.

I remember your fretless being on eBay and actually contacted Chris for some info on it, but I decided against it in the end.
If I saw one now, though, I'd snap it up straight away.

Have you seen the Original Series basses Overwater built recently? They look fantastic.

Cheers,

Kees
[/quote]

prob be cheaper to clone it yourself if you asked big red x for photos....

The 4-string on eBay looks like an earlier model. The pickup position is different and the body shape isn't quite as refined as the later models.

Do you have any photo's or links for new Original Series basses? When I last talked to someone at Overwater a few years ago there was mention of a 30th anniversary model based on the Original, but nothing appears to have come of it.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BarnacleBob' timestamp='1343729630' post='1754167']
The eBay one could be the fretted 'twin' of one that appears in the news section at the Overwater site - I want them both and i want them NOW! :gas:

[url="http://overwaterbasses.com/latest-news-new-shop-page/"]http://overwaterbass...-new-shop-page/[/url]

BB
[/quote]

That's very interesting. The bass pictured is described as a 1983 model and has the older pickup positioning. My 5-string fretless which is a late 83/early 84 has the later pickup position. I wonder exactly when it was changed?

That green fretless is gorgeous. I wished I'd known about it ;-) Apparently, it's also a very rare colour.
When I was OW last month, Martin Lee told me the current owner had bought it from someone who hadn't touched it for years. Consequently, it was in really bad shape ; so much so, that the pots had to be drilled out.

Re the pickup spacing, I'd just mail the main man (Chris May). He's always very forthcoming with this kind of stuff.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343729974' post='1754178']
That's very interesting. The bass pictured is described as a 1983 model and has the older pickup positioning. My 5-string fretless which is a late 83/early 84 has the later pickup position. I wonder exactly when it was changed?
[/quote]

You and me both!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343728382' post='1754145']
The 4-string on eBay looks like an earlier model. The pickup position is different and the body shape isn't quite as refined as the later models.

Do you have any photo's or links for new Original Series basses? When I last talked to someone at Overwater a few years ago there was mention of a 30th anniversary model based on the Original, but nothing appears to have come of it.
[/quote]

I do have some pics of more modern Original Series Basses, so I'll pose some for you asap.

[/quote]

Cloning would be cheaper, but I doubt it would be as good. The Overwater guys are second to none in their field, which is why we all keep on going back to them ;-)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343727416' post='1754119']
prob be cheaper to clone it yourself if you asked big red x for photos....
[/quote]

They're still talking about officially reintroducing the Original Series ;-)

[/quote]

Sounds fantastic. is the one you sold the red five-string fretless that was on eBay in 2007?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1343726868' post='1754105']
I played a couple of RC customs owned by Rod Clements.

They were beautiful... I sold one on eBay for him a few years ago, and he ended up keeping the other.

You can hear the fretless here...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsHvFOAGJ8k[/media]
[/quote]

[quote name='Kees_SoS' timestamp='1343730752' post='1754200']
Sounds fantastic. is the one you sold the red five-string fretless that was on eBay in 2007?
[/quote]

If you mean the one that I now have, I don't think it's the same. Mine was originally owned by Micheal Féat (who's played with Roger Chapman, Tina Turner, Mark Knopfler and Dave Gilmour amongst others).

[quote name='Kees_SoS' timestamp='1343730646' post='1754195']
Cloning would be cheaper, but I doubt it would be as good. The Overwater guys are second to none in their field, which is why we all keep on going back to them ;-)
[/quote] no not cloning the bass- cloning the preamp, which you would be able to match easily

EDIT: as a preamp out of production I see no problems in doing this. I wouldn't suggest it on something you can buy still.

Edited by LukeFRC

Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick there ;-) Yes, absolutely. I should imagine Overwater may know someone who could do it.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343734275' post='1754281']
no not cloning the bass- cloning the preamp, which you would be able to match easily

EDIT: as a preamp out of production I see no problems in doing this. I wouldn't suggest it on something you can buy still.
[/quote]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overwater-bass-guitar-/251118984755?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a77db9e33#ht_644wt_922

Is this of interest or is it the one already referred to in the thread, just spotted it when having a trawl around the bay.

[quote name='Kees_SoS' timestamp='1343933107' post='1757607']
Sorry for the delay. This is an Original Series with Progress headstock which I played on when I first visited OW in 2001. I literally couldn't put the thing down -- it was fantastic! It's a real shame I didn't buy it:

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/img0002dg.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/img0003qwd.jpg/][IMG]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1705/img0003qwd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Uploaded with [url="http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us[/url]
[/quote]