Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle Problems

pobrien_ie

I've been playing bass on and off for the last 14 years or so. I started out exclusively using a pick but over the years I began using my fingers a lot more. Over the last couple of months I've had a bit of a problem with my sound though.

I first noticed it when playing one of my basses at home. My middle finger was getting a nice warm smooth tone, but my index finger was getting a much harsher sound. The only way to counteract this was to angle my hand a bit more and pluck the strings further away from the tips of my fingers. This seemed to work ok but my playing speed was much reduced.

I've been playing a lot of Jamerson / Motown stuff recently where I tended to emulate his hook style. This was going great, but now my problem is reversed, the index finger sounds good and the middle finger sounds terrible.

Most people might not even notice the change in sound, but it's really starting to annoy me as I just can't get a consistent sound with my fingers

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? I've tried different basses, strings etc and don't seem to getting anywhere.

I suffer the same problem and I put it down to technique. I find I have to brush the pick-up with my finger tips, and angle my right hand forward, to make sure I'm using the soft pad of my finger to get a consistently 'plummy' tone. But this, as you mentioned, compromises speed.
You're not alone and I'd be glad to hear of any tips.

I'm glad I'm not alone.. I was a bit embarrassed even posting this, but I stood in with a rock band over the weekend and absolutely hated my tone at times!

I'm exactly the same regarding using the soft part of my fingers, but I see so many people talking about using finger tips.

I've got the same thing! Probably because I'm used to playing with the harsher style in my metal bands. If I'm ever playing 'proper' basslines I just use the index finger :P

My way might not help you but it allows me to play softly to a reasonable standard without cramming in extra practice!

Yeah the index finger only thing is what I'm having to go with. I've read before that the reason Jamerson did it was to keep his sound consistent, but it's can be difficult for rock songs.

I'm just struggling to see how it's a practice thing if I just can't get the sound :blink:

Again, I'm glad I'm not alone on this...

I dunno, i haven't got there yet, I'm jus assuming its a practice thing, or a case of finding out a way around it and practicing that til it becomes second nature! And yeah with faster rock passages it isn't much fun playing with one finger! I actually have settings on my pedalboard to roll the upper frequencies off and make it sound smoother l!

I've tried to shape my tone around it, but not reallt helping. For me it's such a fundamentally harsh sound there's no way around it. Of course, guitarists don't seem to be able to see any difference in the sound!

If it helps to further describe my problem, my fingerstyle sound almost sounds like I'm using a pick. Since I like to vary my sound as much as possible, still using a pick when called for, I really want to get the warm fingerstyle sound down.

I tend to pluck the strings away from my finger tips and more with the softer pad area, if that makes sense.

Somedays I'm happy with my sound, like today, and others I'm not, like Friday night. As I said I only noticed this a few months ago, but it is starting to bother me.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1343080993' post='1745093']
wait 'til you start using three fingers (on the bass.. <_< )

now that is a bitch to master.
[/quote]

Thanks, but for the styles I'm into I think I'll get away with two fingers or a pick :P

I'm not going to defend what some might consider poor technique. But there is some mileage in the belief that human idiosyncracies are what make musicians unique. Geddy's index finger trilling (listen to Animate, Caravan, or Time and Motion) and you will hear these kinds of idiosyncracies where sometimes a note will be more forcefully played. That's a consequence of how he plays, i don't know whether he works on fixing that and evening out his tone, but it doesn't bother me at all. it's part of the sound. Steve Harris' clanking is much the same.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1343134154' post='1745786']
I'm not going to defend what some might consider poor technique. But there is some mileage in the belief that human idiosyncracies are what make musicians unique. Geddy's index finger trilling (listen to Animate, Caravan, or Time and Motion) and you will hear these kinds of idiosyncracies where sometimes a note will be more forcefully played. That's a consequence of how he plays, i don't know whether he works on fixing that and evening out his tone, but it doesn't bother me at all. it's part of the sound. Steve Harris' clanking is much the same.
[/quote]

Interesting and very good point! Listened to a lot of isolated bass tracks from Cliff Burton era Metallca and at first listen the bass sounds really sloppy and even the tone is not one many would use themselves. But in the mix the whole package sounds amazing!

well to play devil's advocate, i'm not advocating sloppiness per se. But if I'm honest - brutally honest - i'd much rather listen to such players than the clinician types. Maybe some of these are a victim of their own success, like Victor Wooten, but give me Geddy or Bootsy any day instead.

I think that kind of originality works great for original work, but when you're like me and you only play covers it doesn't always sound so great!

I had intially thought it was just string noise that wouldn't be audible when playing at louder volumes, but unfortunately this didn't turn out to be the case!

bass guitar is probably the most difficult instrument to play precisely because it's function is both harmonic melodic and rhythmic. A good bassline is no different to a solo and should stand solo, which is why dub works so well. Not only that but there are as many legitimate and effective (well almost) ways to play as there are players. What works for one player won't work for another due to nothing more than simple physiology. You don't have this issue with a guitar because guitars are smaller and drums require nothing more than you sit down. A lot of what made Jaco able to become so fluid was the nature of his hands, literally.

Yeah I got a different tone from my index finger too because its tip is shaped differently from my middle and ring. I use 3 fingers, so it makes it even more pronounced/unbalanced especially on 4-note repeated runs (every 3rd note in the sequence will have a bit more "ping" to it). You can work on the angling and technique to minimise the difference, and it won't me heard as strongly in a mix.

Edited by heminder

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1343134154' post='1745786']
I'm not going to defend what some might consider poor technique. But there is some mileage in the belief that human idiosyncracies are what make musicians unique. [/quote]

+lots.

I have a really wrong picking technique. I alternate between my index and ring fingers. Then sometimes I use my middle finger. I don't know when or why - I think it's mostly when changing up strings or doing rakes and a lot when string skipping. Anyway, I can play with index/middle, but if I stop concentrating I slip back into index/ring with middle finger nonsense inbetween.

But whatever. I doubt anyone else does it (although I've been told Percy Jones does) and it produces an awkward burpy silly stuttery sound I like, and I can always simplify it for more traditional sounding stuff (I did a reggae band for the last two years with no complaints).

So yeah. Enjoy what you sound like and stop trying to genericise yourself.

With my aggressive right hand technique as opposed to softly stroking the strings like i'm supposed to, I often get told I play bass and sound differently to most other players. I've even had a punter approach me after a gig to say he's never really paid attention to bass before that night! Maybe by doing something wrong, you're doing something right :lol:

I've had a bit of a break through since my first post. By using a feather light touch I'm finally getting the sound I want. This might be hard to replicate live if I want to cut through the mix, but I'll try cranking the amp and see how I get on.

• 1 month later...

IMO the only way to get truly consistent tone between plucking fingers is (would you believe!) practice and then more practice. I started life as a finger style player favouring index finger and only gained consistency between index and middle fingers by labourously practicing endless 8th note patterns.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1343054999' post='1744394']
I've read before that the reason Jamerson did it was to keep his sound consistent, but it's can be difficult for rock songs.

I'm just struggling to see how it's a practice thing if I just can't get the sound :blink:
[/quote]
Jamerson used one finger,mainly because he came from an Upright background,where using one finger is more of
a tradition.
I'd say it's a practice issue...it may mean that one finger isn't quite as strong as the other,which is very common,or it could
be because you favour a certain finger and thus it develops a harder callous,which is also common. If you spend time
concentrating on alternating you can even this out to a certain degree.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1343166592' post='1746585']
I have a really wrong picking technique. I alternate between my index and ring fingers. Then sometimes I use my middle finger.......

.......I doubt anyone else does it (although I've been told Percy Jones does)
[/quote]
Bryan Beller does it for the most part too.

I often use index and middle fingers but, even with my nails cut extremely short, the nail on my middle finger catches the string very slightly while the nail on my index doesn't. I don't believe anyone else has ever noticed my very slight difference in tone but I don't like it. So, whenever I can, I play with index finger only. I don't think it's that unusual.