Why become a member? ×

ProCo RAT II/Guitar Pedals for Bass?

Ben Jamin

it's interesting what people have said about rats as i've had a few, and modded a few and i've only ended up disappointed with the tone. i found the reutz mod to yield a too 'farty' sound, and although the turbo rat certainly cut less bass, the distortion was too fierce.

my current tweaked rat is a turbo rat that was modded by silent fly for better bass response, but then further modded by changing the clipping circuit to a mosfet and a silicon diode. it's nice and touch-sensitive, but i'd like to eventually tweak the gain control to give a better sweep at lower gains.

having said that, a rat blended with a clean signal to keep the bass is pretty darn good.

I swear by Marshall effects.

They're well made, small footprint, quiet, cheap, look cool, easy to use and have many features associated with higher cost units like tap tempo inputs for delay, expression inputs for chorus and blending.

Love my Guv'nor 2, I use it for a subtle overdrive in my rig. Sounds nice and smooth and compressed (whether that's good or not, who knows but it works for me). Try one!

Truckstop

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1343155067' post='1746284']
I've just taken delivery of one today! I can see it being very useful blended with a clean tone.
[/quote]

Even when not blended with clean, it can get really nasty and sounds pretty damn good when you run it into a wah and Envelope.

Liam

• 1 year later...

I have tech 21 xxxl bass works well. Bass big muff deluxe again works well. Zvex Mastotron, just got this n love it. And a metal muff, this sounds great too but loses a lot of bottom end, works well with chorus and smallstone though. tool 46 n 2 awesome.
Ps I bin trying to think of that song title all weekend.