Why become a member? ×

Roland v Bass

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Sorry of this has been mentioned before ,)
I stumbled accross some you tube demos , and this looks like an awesome unit .

Downsides..Price! Oh , and you have to attach the Roland pickup to your bass.

Was wondering tho', if you put
P /up on a good bass(ie not my '77 Telecaster)
Would it make that much difference?
In theory , any bass would give same results.

If one was available for trade , I would have to look.)
Anybody used/got one?

Ped has one. Hopefully he'll be along soon to tell you all about it (although you might want to change the title of your thread to Roland V-Bass so it's more obvious - thought it was going to be something about synths versus bass guitars when I first looked)

BTW. You don't have to have the Roland pickup. You could fit a bridge with piezo saddles and a suitable 4 output buffer amp to drive it.

I have V bass.There are different options.The bass wood does little effect on it but not much if you use devided pickup. it depends purely than on your setting. I have tried it on fretted and fretless bass and results where different, as you would expect fretted sounded fretted fretless sounded fretless. The re are different options like organ effects and many more I would be here until tomorrow. Then you also can mix it on the pickup volume wet/ dry signal and that would depend on your bass much more. You can put it in any bass. the upside you do NOT Have to use pickup to use it as multieffect. The effect unit work perfectly as any multi-effect with all the effect as any other with great quality and sound that is how I usually use it. The problem is than if you want to use it. i have attached it without screws as I don't like to have holes in my bass.. and it worked really good. Those effects are going now much cheaper than before use to be £1000 now you could find some from £150 but there are problems with those. i sell mine for £250 as I need quick sale all included ,V-bass,cables, gk3, ...I payed full price and it hearts me selling it for that price but have to be done I am not using it I would be happier someone use it.

New model is expensive and I have not tried one of those But I have seen some videos looks like good toy.

Sorry, just spotted this.

I've been using a V-Bass for a couple of years, live. I attached the pickup permanently to one of my basses after I got fed up with the double-sided tape falling off, but didn't really persevere with it. It makes no difference sound-wise whether the pickup is screwed on or stuck on.

I use some of the different bass models rather than the pickups on my own bass, which are a bit puny by comparison. The only thing about the quality of the bass you use is whether it's playable: if you use the built-in sounds it doesn't matter what you use. dave.c had his on an old cheapo Cort and it sounded absolutely fine.

I have a few synth patches set up for '80's stuff like Bilbo's favourite Aint Nobody, Venus, etc. I also use the double bass and arco sounds occasionally. It's great for synth sounds with no tracking issues, but you do spend quite a bit of time getting volume levels for all the various patches to be consistent. It's also very amusing to play the odd burst of heavy metal guitar, if used sparingly. Not made much use of the effects. The compression isn't a lot of use though due to not having any decent monitoring facilities and the threshold and ratio being combined into a single control. The only other effect I use with the V-Bass is a microthumpinator on the output, which I always use no matter what.

We've recently acquired a bigger mixer and I've started to dispense with backlilne altogether and just run the V-Bass unit straight into the desk. I'm thinking about using my little Novation instead for synth sounds now we have some spare channels, but will probably continue to use the V-Bass at least in the short term for cab modelling.

The other thing is the price of the cables - it's a 13-pin custom job specific to Roland and keeping a spare cable handy is quite expensive. Plan B might just be to plug a normal bass into the unit and just use the effects, as Matej does.

Yeah I use mine all the time. 90% of the time I run my bass 'clean' into it and use it as a big fancy DI box straight to desk (using magnetic pickups, not the GK), but the rest of the time I'll use it for Jazz/P or MM models which sound, to my ears, perfect. As I never found a bass of those descriptions that plays anything like as well as my V-bassed bass I get the best of both worlds.

I haven't massively explored the synths but I do have two set up that I use which I'm happy with. If I'm honest I don't think the unit's strength is the synth side, I think the modelling is where it excels.

I like the unit so much that I installed the pickup into my bass so I have a 13 pin output on the side which makes it really nice and neat.

I keep thinking about getting the new unit but I don't feel it's necessary from a sound quality point of view, but the new one does do some pretty cool things and I think the synth side of it is improved somewhat.

Cheers

I found some samples I did a while ago. I think I've posted them elsewhere but here you go!

This is my bass going though the Vbass but completely clean (no modelling, using bass pickups)
[attachment=114412:Half moon short.mp3]

Here I'm using the fretless synth with some delay
[attachment=114414:Seismic mellow short1.mp3]

This is my Jazz Bass model
[attachment=114413:Holiday fun short.mp3]

Some mucking about with a squishy synth patch
[attachment=114409:Enemy lines short1.mp3]

And another synth, bottom two strings are the low sounding synth hits, the high pitched bits are the top two strings.
[attachment=114410:Enemy lines short2.mp3]

It's a cool unit!!