Why become a member? ×

Warning regarding the 'Beatle Experience' in Liverpool

Jazz Bass 65

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1342625903' post='1738160']
The Beatles effectively split up nearly 45 , [b]yes 45[/b] years ago, Time to let em go I think. Otherwise there are those who will cash in just about forever.
[/quote]

That's nothing. Beethoven died 185, [b]yes 185[/b] years ago but people are still cashing in on him. :lol:

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1342627408' post='1738217']
That's nothing. Beethoven died 185, [b]yes 185[/b] years ago but people are still cashing in on him. :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah, but are there Beethoven weekends in Cologne ?, Does the local council cash in on it ? OK theres a Beethoven Hotel in Amsterdam,( just had to check) but its not full of people wearing Beethoven suits wanting to watch tribute pianists is it ?

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1342628381' post='1738249']
Yeah, but are there Beethoven weekends in Cologne ?, Does the local council cash in on it ? OK theres a Beethoven Hotel in Amsterdam,( just had to check) but its not full of people wearing Beethoven suits wanting to watch tribute pianists is it ?
[/quote]

I wouldn't bet on it. Ever been to Salzberg during the annual Mozart Festival? Or Bayreuth during the annual Wagner festival?

The Beatles have already passed the first test of musical immorality, that of having new generations of fans who were not even born when the band existed, so I don't see them fading from cultural memory anytime soon.

That doesn't mean you have to like them of course.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1342625903' post='1738160']
As an aside, anybody else noticed McCarneys now has slightly strange hair ? Could it be a rug ?
[/quote]

At his age I'd be disappointed if it wasn't :lol: But there was a pic of him a few years ago when he was maybe nipping out for a gallon or two of Grecian2000.

So basically you are seeing acts doing tributes to a band in a building that is in itself a tribute to the original venue which no longer exists either. I think there is a certain poetic justice in that ;) Can't see it being on Bilbo's 'must visit' list though...

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342628895' post='1738263']
At his age I'd be disappointed if it wasn't :lol: But there was a pic of him a few years ago when he was maybe nipping out for a gallon or two of Grecian2000.
[/quote]
I think there was an interview a while back with macca where he was having a laugh at himself telling the story of his early attempts at hair dye where under the lights of a sweaty gig it started to go a funny purple colour and start coming down his forehead...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1342629199' post='1738272']
So basically you are seeing acts doing tributes to a band in a building that is in itself a tribute to the original venue which no longer exists either. I think there is a certain poetic justice in that ;) Can't see it being on Bilbo's 'must visit' list though...[/quote]
Yeah, I was a bit :huh: about it being a copy building, I thought that was something only Americans did with bridges. To top it all they modded it a bit with all those bands names carved into the bricks outside.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1342629355' post='1738274']
I think there was an interview a while back with macca where he was having a laugh at himself telling the story of his early attempts at hair dye where under the lights of a sweaty gig it started to go a funny purple colour and start coming down his forehead...[/quote]
Dunno if it was a modern legend but I read that Elvis was originally lighter in his hair colour and used black shoe polish until he could afford black dye on a regular basis, the polish allegedly gave his hair a blue sheen.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1342628709' post='1738259']
I wouldn't bet on it. Ever been to Salzberg during the annual Mozart Festival? Or Bayreuth during the annual Wagner festival?

The Beatles have already passed the first test of musical immorality, that of having new generations of fans who were not even born when the band existed, so I don't see them fading from cultural memory anytime soon.

That doesn't mean you have to like them of course.
[/quote]

Not suggesting we should forget they exiisted. I've seen 50 years of Beatle fanatics, and judging by the title of this thread, theres still hype. Still people who think of them as some sort of prophets. Some people bought anything they did, or said. Some even bought the white album and Yellow Submarine.

They were just 4 (slightly upper) working class kids from Liverpool. Time to let go and move on.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1342629355' post='1738274']
I think there was an interview a while back with macca where he was having a laugh at himself telling the story of his early attempts at hair dye where under the lights of a sweaty gig it started to go a funny purple colour and start coming down his forehead...
[/quote]

So with all that dough, he still dyes his hair himself.....

Yeah Yeah Yeah, course he does.

I spend monday nights in Hannah's bar who have an excellent covers band on most weeks. I believe the bassist is on here also. I'm within spitting distance of Matthew street but only ever really go to flannigans for a pint or the Cavern if any of me mates bands are on!

[quote name='Jazz Bass 65' timestamp='1342565798' post='1737307']
Went to the 'Beatle Experience' staying at The Hard days Night Hotel on Sunday 15th July.
The Hotel was great and only a couple of minutes from the Cavern Club and Cavern Bar.
There were visitors from all round the world who like us enjoyed the live band music on Sunday evening.
Unfortunately this did not carry through on Monday evening where we were subjected to solo singer guitarists
churning out Beatles songs like street buskers.
Like us a couple from Norway were very dissapointed to find and absence of live bands on Monday evening anywhere in the vicinity of the 'Cavern', which, as on Sunday evening, was packed out again, we had paid to stay an extra night expecting to see and hear more live bands.
It felt like they were just cashing in on the memory of the Beatles. To travel from the far side of the world as many of the visitors had and only to be entertained by nothing more than busking must be a letdown.
[/quote]

A "Beatles Experience" that involves music of The Beatles? What did you expect?

Felt like they were "cashing in on the memory of the Beatles", this has got to be a wind up surely?

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1342625200' post='1738127']
Bloody excellent mate!
[/quote]

Thank you, and to Flyfisher too!

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1342630529' post='1738310']

Felt like they were "cashing in on the memory of the Beatles", this has got to be a wind up surely?
[/quote]

I must admit I do find it a little odd that people find it difficult to understand why the Cavern feels the need to 'cash in' on the Beatles. They're a very large part of Liverpool history, it's to be completely expected. And for those who aren't interested (of which I'm sure there will be many), there are plenty of other venues in Liverpool that have live music. Like Ste pointed out, the current resident band at Hannah's are brilliant (I've seen 'em twice now, just a great bunch of lads and one lady too).

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1342629905' post='1738292']
Not suggesting we should forget they exiisted. I've seen 50 years of Beatle fanatics, and judging by the title of this thread, theres still hype. Still people who think of them as some sort of prophets. Some people bought anything they did, or said. Some even bought the white album and Yellow Submarine.

They were just 4 (slightly upper) working class kids from Liverpool. [b]Time to let go and move on[/b].
[/quote]

But why? Millions of people still revere centuries-dead classical composers, millions of people still revere centuries-dead writers. And why not?

I can't see the problem. Let people choose for themselves.

As I said Sunday in the Cavern was great, but on Monday nearly all of the venues that had been belting out music the previous evening were closed although there were plenty of visitors including many from overseas including a high percentage from the far east.
if you go on the Beatles Experience you only get one night in your hotel, I felt very sorry for those who'd arrived on Monday expecting to hear the 'Liverpool Sound' only to be subjected to self penned (rule of the house no covers) Suicide notes at the open mic night in the Cavern Bar and busking in the Cavern Club.
We payed to stay another night as we'd enjoyed the Sunday sessions to say that it was a bit of a letdown would be an understatement.
Go to Nashville and there we found umpteen bands all over town most nights during our two visits

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1342630529' post='1738310']

[/quote]I didn't expect to be subjected to One Man and an Electro Accoustic in the advertised 'Home of the Beatles' neither did many others, the whole area is hyped up as The Beatles Experience, the band on Sunday night were good, live and authentic.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1342629905' post='1738292']

They were just 4 (slightly upper) working class kids from Liverpool. Time to let go and move on.
[/quote]
If you weren't playing in the time before the Beatles you couldn't feel the full impact they made, I did my first gig late summer 62, 6 months later the whole Uk (soon to be world) music scene was turned upside down, we were carried along on the fantastic ride they created and although I still gig regularly I'll never foreget the debt that we owe to the Beatles, they freed the popular music scene for a while.

[quote name='Jazz Bass 65' timestamp='1342634597' post='1738437']
As I said Sunday in the Cavern was great, but on Monday nearly all of the venues that had been belting out music the previous evening were closed although there were plenty of visitors including many from overseas including a high percentage from the far east.
if you go on the Beatles Experience you only get one night in your hotel, I felt very sorry for those who'd arrived on Monday expecting to hear the 'Liverpool Sound' only to be subjected to self penned (rule of the house no covers) Suicide notes at the open mic night in the Cavern Bar and busking in the Cavern Club.
We payed to stay another night as we'd enjoyed the Sunday sessions to say that it was a bit of a letdown would be an understatement.
Go to Nashville and there we found umpteen bands all over town most nights during our two visits
[/quote]

Yeah, Liverpool doesn't make the most out of it during the week. If we were in America, the whole of Matthew Street would be (even more) Beatles-centric and it would go on 8 days a week.

Probably the council that are against it. Probably need all the Sgt. Pepper's uniforms for their Monday afternoon shenanigans.