Why become a member? ×

Mixers, line levels, mic pre-amp questions

pete.young

I've just bought a new mixer (Yamaha MG206C) because the band has outgrown it's old one, and it's occurred to me that I'd better get my head around how it works, for self-preservation purposes.

Guitarist uses a system which is baffling in it's complexity, but seemingly involves him giving me a stereo left and right signal via a pair of balanced cables with XLR connections.

He's demanding to use 2 mono channels (based on wanting to plug XLRs into the desk). I think he actually needs a single stereo channel, which has two 6mm unbalanced jack inputs. It seems to me that if I obtain a couple of Jack - XLR adaptors I can plug these into the jack sockets for the stereo channel, and connect his left and right signal XLRs to the adaptoprs - job done . Is this right?

If so, can I use a TRS-type stereo jack adaptor, which would put the 'hot' signal from pin 2 onto the tip of the adaptor?

If i were to humour him and allow him to plug into the 'mic' inputs on two mono channels, would I be right in thinking that this would be bad for the mixer, since I'd be putting a line-level voltage into a mic pre-amp designed for a much lower signal?

It seems to me it'd be better to plug him into the 'line' input, which is a TRS balanced Jack - so I'd need the adaptors as above, or a balanced cable with a TRS jack on it instead of an XLR. Is this correct?

What about keyboards? Any reason why I can't just use two unbalanced jack-jack connecters to plug one into a stero channel?

What about DI-boxes for bass, acoustic guitars etc - should these also go into the TRS line input or is it OK to connect these to a mic pre-amp input?

My brain hurts, think I'll take an asprin and lie down in a darkened room!

I use one of those myself, great mixer.

How many channels are you going to use as standard? If there are enough spare channels try what the guitarist wants and just plug his leads into the mic channels and turn the channel gains down 'til you're not overloading the channel, check it with the PFL button and if the guitar signal is still overloading the input with the gain right down you'll have to use the line inputs which means jacks. If you're not overloading the channel then you're not hurting it.

Keyboards into the stereo channels with jacks is no problem. I feed a, ipod and minidisc player through mine.

D.I. boxes etc, try them in the mic channels, they should be OK but again if they overload the mic channel with the gain right down just use the line input.

You have to be a bit careful with the compressors as well or you'll get feedback although it quickly comes on and then just as quickly disappears.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bertbass

Thanks Bert, much appreciated especially the bit about feedback from the compressors. Will use sparingly.

I now understand how the guitar stuff works a bit better, and I think it'll be OK - there's some control over the signal strength so we can back it off at both ends if necessary.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1342348914' post='1733471']
There's an input gain on the channel surely?
[/quote]

would appear so:
[url="http://www.gearnuts.com/images/items/1800/MG206Cusb-xlarge.jpg"]http://www.gearnuts.com/images/items/1800/MG206Cusb-xlarge.jpg[/url]

The only reason to use the stereo jack input is if you are running out of channels. The balanced outputs from his guitar probably aren't line level anyway but you have the gain control on the mixer to pad down anyway. The balanced line (XLR) connection will be much less prone to problems on stage, the unbalanced jacks will pick up a lot more spurious noise and hum.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just in case anyone else ends up wondering, a report back:

The guitar pre-amp outputs on -10dB were fine. The output off the Roland V-Bass was seriously hot even with the gain on zero, and so I used an unbalanced jack into the line level, which was fine.

The drum mikes also surprised me by being really hot, but manageable with the gain control. So it's all good. Many thanks for the help and advice from everyone in this thread.