Why become a member? ×

Pre amp jungle?

dove

General consensus seems to be that most amps benefit from a preamp between db and amp primarily
to match the impedance for a piezo type pickup.Some amps have a suitable input but even then a preamp
may be used for a favoured sound.
I'm thinking of buying a PJB flight case which my research shows is a reasonable choice but it will require
a preamp.Ok so again after a bit of surfing the fishman platinum pro seems well thought of. I'm currently using
an lr baggs dual input but to my ears it adds a fair bit of noise to the signal.
Here's my dilemma.What's the point of buying an amp with a sweet eq,low noise floor,quality preamp etc
only to stick another preamp before it?
Is there not a impedence matching something or other that overcomes the level matching without adding
anything else?
Currently using a realist pickup but thinking of trying a full circle.I'm guessing that different piezos and transducers
have different output levels,or do I mean impedance levels? Is it just the gain on the first preamp that matches
thing up or is there an impedence issue as well?
It's a jungle...and I'm a bit lost.....

any pointers much appreciated

TH Audio make a piezo buffer pedal, details here - http://www.thaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

Loads of buffer circuits on the web so as Mr Foxen says it shouldn't be too hard to knock one of these up yourself.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1342138462' post='1730415']A simple high impedance buffer circuit is pretty easy to knock up.
[/quote]

There is a chap called fdeck on Talkbass that has designed one, he is a double bass player. [url="http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/hpfpd.pdf"]It's this one.[/url]

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1342166604' post='1730523']
There is a chap called fdeck on Talkbass that has designed one, he is a double bass player. [url="http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/hpfpd.pdf"]It's this one.[/url]
[/quote]

And it works. I have a later one with a vol control although I never use that. It has a phase shifter - great for addressing feedback, a great control for killing any boom and of course it buffers the impedance. It slots in nicely under the amp's carry handle. Trouble is Francis Deck hasn't got a licence to export so you can't get his gizmo over here. If you are serious about getting one I suggest you subscribe to TB and put out a post asking if anyone can ship you a 'second-hand' one.

Just to complicate the whole preamp thing, I also have Fishman pro eq: sometimes this works better and sometimes the fdeck according to the room. Funny old world.

I've always found PJB stuff to be very well matched for EUB's and piezo pickups even without a preamp - but that was just me. Of course, nit all PJB amps have an XLR in either. If you are going to use a preamp, it doesn't need to be too fancy. I had a simple Fishman B preamp that did the job very well without any real colouration to the tone. Had bass and treble on it, clipped to my belt and give a good signal to the amp to help get a good clean out through it. The EQ on the preamp was useful as I could dial in or take away basic tone without being over the amp during playing if required.

Whether you use a preamp and which one you use is laregly a matter of taste. Some pickups sound great straight into the input of amp X but horrible and nasal through amp Y.

As it happens, last night I was faffing around with different combinations of pickups (K&K bassmax & Tacoman) preamps (Fishman Plat pro and Headway) inputs (standard input or via preamp into the FX return) and sawpping the pickups between the treble and bass bridge wings.

Very long story short; the K&K mounted on the treble side sounded good straight into the main input without a preamp, as did the Tacoman when mounted on the bass side of the bridge. I have done gigs with my Realist equipped EUB going into the fromt of my LM2 when my pre input died - not a sound I'd choose to use, but not a disaster either.

I theink experimentation is the key. When you get your pickup and amp, try it without a preamp and see if you like the sound. If you don't then a preamp will certainly improve things.

As mentioned above, Francis Deck has a very simple impedance matching preamp that you can build yourself from his plans.

I've beeen using John East's STMP 01,'Stomp box' as a pre-amp with my double basses and I've had great results. It was not designed for this use (I guess) but...as long as it works.
I usually use this as my D.I. with electric basses anyway so it was a good investment.
I also use his MPB 01 'piezo -pre', blending my Realist and Underwood. Brilliant combination (Stomp and this) and I've had positive comments of my 'acoustic' sound.
Whatever your choice of pickups use your ears!!
My advice..talk to John.
Right in our back-yard with some world class stuff. I go to John, first, to solve or at least advise with my audio stuff and I must admit even with my double bass issues.....