Why become a member? ×

Wait... learn to play real guitar on a game?! Rocksmith.

CBbass

So I just found out about an upcoming game called 'Rocksmith'. This game markets itself by the player learning to play an actual guitar, not one of those plastic controller ones. I have to say I'm impressed and think it's great it's finally being done. Learning can be tedious at times and I'm sure this could potentially help a lot of people get into the hobby.

P.S. I'm unaffiliated with the product/company/retailers. :P

Thoughts? :)

Link to trailer.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGsQtWvb3sk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGsQtWvb3sk[/url]

Edited by CBbass

Hopefully getting this - having a couple of years bass experience under my belt, it's demotivating to try playing such a similar instrument but being nowhere near as good (which is more indicative as to my ability on the guitar than it is my bass skills :lol: ) Sounds like this could be a great help.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1341580130' post='1721249']
Hopefully getting this - having a couple of years bass experience under my belt, it's demotivating to try playing such a similar instrument but being nowhere near as good (which is more indicative as to my ability on the guitar than it is my bass skills :lol: ) Sounds like this could be a great help.
[/quote]
+1

and i always found my hands where made for bass but lets see what riffs i can pull off with this ;)
Lets hope for some Hendrix, Santana and Clapton :')

BSB

I had a good go on this at the IOW festival a couple of weeks ago. I'm quite a useful guitarist and I was completely flummoxed by the whole thing. Made me feel like a complete novice. It's notation system is worse than TAB and I found it just horrible to use. Why do all the symbols have to flow towards you Star Trek-style? What is that all about?!

The guitar that was plugged in was way out of tune but the computer simulates it back into tune so when the game is on it sounds OK although a bit synthy. I was quite impressed by the feel and build quality of the Epiphone guitars they had.

Not for me but I'm sure they'll sell squillions of em to people looking for a shortcut to becoming a guitar god :-D

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1341599554' post='1721747']
You sure ? Everything I've heard says that guitar being in tune is important as it doesn't simulate anything. It's just a USB cable to the console. Otherwise if you played a wrong note how would the system know when you can use a any guitar?

Heard the Bundles Epis were actually quite bad . They are just the cheap budget starter fodder after all.
[/quote]

The guitar was way out of tune; I had a strum with it unplugged. Maybe the two low strings were i tune - they were the only ones I used on the demo.

Maybe the Rocksmith demo Epis were the pic of the bunch and set up just for the exhibit stand; they certainly weren't gas-inducing but they were 1000x better than I was expecting them to be.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1341586848' post='1721465']

Rumour is the EU release will come with a Bass patch too .

[url="http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/downloads/index.aspx"]http://rocksmith.ubi...oads/index.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

Yes I think the bass version will be available on the Spectrum ZX81 too as its only got 4 strings etc!

May aswell beat the guitarists to it before they think of it ;)

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1341745999' post='1723420']

The guitar was way out of tune; I had a strum with it unplugged. Maybe the two low strings were i tune - they were the only ones I used on the demo.

Maybe the Rocksmith demo Epis were the pic of the bunch and set up just for the exhibit stand; they certainly weren't gas-inducing but they were 1000x better than I was expecting them to be.
[/quote]

Are you SURE you weren't plating Rockband with the special strat controller?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1341781959' post='1724171']

Are you SURE you weren't plating Rockband with the special strat controller?
[/quote]

Definitely Rocksmith. Definitely Epiphone real guitars. Definitely out of tune. Or at least the top three strings were way out, maybe the E and A were OK, like I said, the song I did (a Nirvana one) was on single note setting and only the E and A were used. When I had a noodle it was shocking and when I strummed some chords it was horribly out.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1341916700' post='1726010']
Mrs loves guitar hero.

far better at it then me. Especially if it's a song I can play for real. The muscle memory kicks in and I just go wrong.
[/quote]

Yep exact same thing with us too, g/f is great at it and I can't play the game because the spacing is rubbish for the riffs. Looks like it would give me an eppy fit if I did anyway. :D

• 2 months later...

Picked this up today and it's actually pretty great. 50 odd songs to learn, mini games and technique exercises and a dynamic difficuly level that keeps ramping up
until you're playing the song note for note. Pretty tricky to get the hang of the notation/note highway but I'm getting there.
Just been added to Steam so it'll be out on PC soon as well as the consoles.

Edited by Subbeh

It certainly takes a bit of getting used to the notation and what not. I'm obviously used to looking at the fretboard constantly so thats the main problem for me right now. Sunshine of Your Love was the only song I've already played - there is no way I could follow on screen but If I just played the way I normally do it scores highly. No slap bass songs is a bit of a let down for me but really the whole reason I bought it was to get into finger-style more.

I picked this up Friday and am impressed so far it's a bit glitchy at times and getting my head round the colour coding of the string systems is taking longer than I expected but I could definitely see it being a good learning aid as far as muscle memory mainly is concerned. Find it a lot more fun on a guitar than a bass due to it probably suiting my lack of ability on one though!