Why become a member? ×

Just Learning....

RachAllenBand

Hi, everyone. Learning bass on an old Hofner. Will take some time as I'm only used to playing regular rhythm guitar on a Takamine acoustic/electric to go along with my songs. Music is just a side hobby, as I'm an artist and writer. Moved to Berkshire from the eastcoast USA back in 2008 and am here to stay now. Don't worry, I won't be taking anyone's job from them, I'll be self-employed.

[quote name='MysticGuitar' timestamp='1341335698' post='1717300']
Unfortunately, it isn't my Hofner, but it's the one I'm learning on, owned by my guy :)
He owns lots of basses.

[/quote]

Your very lucky to be playing his bass, nothing against my girl but she drops and knocks stuff over at the best of times :lol:
Hows all the practice going? learnt many songs?

BSB

Unfortunately, it isn't my Hofner, but it's the one I'm learning on, owned by my guy :)
He owns lots of basses.

[/quote]

Beautiful bass and with many other basses he sounds like a man after my own heart. Welcome to basschat :)

He owns lots of basses.

[/quote]

Hello and Welcome :)

I hope you've already got your guy to join up here - or have you beat him to it?

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1341336932' post='1717333']
Your very lucky to be playing his bass, nothing against my girl but she drops and knocks stuff over at the best of times :lol:
Hows all the practice going? learnt many songs?
[/quote]

LOL Does the opening theme from "Seinfeld" count? :P
What do you mean I'm lucky to be playing his bass.... lol.... He thought he was lucky I let him play my Takamine guitar! He has a friend who doesn't let anyone touch his Takamine. I also have a Fender Strat, so yes, I'm careful with guitars. I also plead with him to NOT sell any of his basses..... unlike his friends' wives who are always glad when the guy sells a guitar. Us musicians have to stick together. ;)

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1341337387' post='1717341']
Beautiful bass and with many other basses he sounds like a man after my own heart. Welcome to basschat :)
[/quote]

Thank you very much! I do have some of his basses pictured on my website if anyone wants to see them. You have to click on all the guitar links under his photo at [url="http://www.tigereeks.com"]http://www.tigereeks.com[/url]

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1341337432' post='1717343']
Hello and Welcome :)

I hope you've already got your guy to join up here - or have you beat him to it?
[/quote]

He's on here to sell one of his guitars, but he doesn't have time right now to be on the Forum much, due to his work hours.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1341338098' post='1717356']
Welcome MG,
The first bass I ever played was a Hofner Violin. 40 years later, still learning and still loving it. Enjoy the forum!
Len
[/quote]

That's cool, Len! I know some people don't care for the sound of a Hofner, but it's okay for me. I'm not picky. Cheers.

[quote name='MysticGuitar' timestamp='1341392757' post='1718060']
Thank you very much! I do have some of his basses pictured on my website if anyone wants to see them. You have to click on all the guitar links under his photo at [url="http://www.tigereeks.com"]http://www.tigereeks.com[/url]
[/quote]

Wow that is an awesome collection. Would I be right in thinking that the Cutlass has a carbon graphite neck? It's gorgeous. Deepley envious of all those basses.

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1341403269' post='1718335']
Wow that is an awesome collection. Would I be right in thinking that the Cutlass has a carbon graphite neck? It's gorgeous. Deepley envious of all those basses.
[/quote]
Yes, that's his Musicman Cutlass I which is up for sale on this site. His name on here is Flying Guitar. More photos of that guitar are at our site [url="http://www.flyingguitar.net"]http://www.flyingguitar.net[/url]

and thanks for the nice comment :)
BTW, his basses are slowly being sold, as we need the money. I've been trying to sell my car in America so he wouldn't have to sell any guitars. I'm just gutted he's begun selling them. :( He was going to sell the Hofner next, but I told him I need that one 'cause I'm learning bass on it. :rolleyes:

Edited by MysticGuitar

Oh NOOOOOO! I'm already thinking what I might sell to be able to buy this utterly beautiful bass..... I don't suppose you'd consider a stroppy 11 year old girl in part exchange would you? :gas: (only kidding!). Why on earth would you want to sell this? I'm already having fantasies about adding a mirror scratchplate (which if your guy did he would probably decide to keep it). Thank you so much for sharing.

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1341413800' post='1718601']
Oh NOOOOOO! I'm already thinking what I might sell to be able to buy this utterly beautiful bass..... I don't suppose you'd consider a stroppy 11 year old girl in part exchange would you? :gas: (only kidding!). Why on earth would you want to sell this? I'm already having fantasies about adding a mirror scratchplate (which if your guy did he would probably decide to keep it). Thank you so much for sharing.
[/quote]

LOL @ an 11 yr old girl exchange :lol:
We really don't want to sell it, but we have to, as it will bring in the most money. He had to take a lesser paying job when his company downsized, unfortunately. He hasn't been playing bass for years now, ever since his band broke up. :( I keep trying to get him interested in playing again. He had been in a band for over 20 years.

Edited by MysticGuitar

Great pics. I won't tell him I promise. Times are pretty hard at the moment but I do believe that things are starting to turn round a bit now. It's extraordinary how theraputic playing music is and I'm sure he'd feel better about things and more optimistic if he did start playing again. Funnily enough i have found that just being on this forum is a great way of getting enthused and focussed on playing. I'd say leave it to fate and if it sells it sells but if not he'll still have it. I still want to buy it though! :)

I hear you about music being therapeutic. Before I moved to England, we were going to work on music together (he was in his band back then), but seems like once the guitarist moved away and the band split up, everything went downhill. We had stress from immigration, then his job being lost, then my mom died a week later with my brother following within the same year, then his next job was the job from hell, etc... and on and on.... so he's had a rough time of it for a couple of years now. He begins a new job in 2 weeks, so I'm hoping it will help him feel better. He's had to work so much overtime, it takes a lot out of him, so I can't blame him for just wanting to relax when he gets home in the evening. But I absolutely hate it when he sells a guitar. I've offered to sell mine, instead, but he says they won't bring in enough money. Maybe we'll hit the lottery Friday night :) I'm going to try and get him to read this Forum more, because I agree with you about it being very inspiring. Thanks!

Edited by MysticGuitar

Hi Mystic and welcome to England and Bass Chat.

You'll have to get you other half back into playing music again, it can be very therapeutic.

My 9 year old son started to learn guitar at school and it's re-kindled my need play again (after not touching a bass for 31 years) and it's make a difference to my life.
I'm not in a band (well I practicing with some work friends to do a 1 off gig at our works party) but love playing after work to cds and my son is showing all the hallmarks of being a bassist rather than a 6 string guitarist as he naturally plays the melodies in songs and is quite good at it, I'll let him find his way to the light :D.

Anyhow have fun!

By the way liked you site.

Cheers

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1341469800' post='1719402']
Hi Mystic and welcome to England and Bass Chat.

You'll have to get you other half back into playing music again, it can be very therapeutic.

My 9 year old son started to learn guitar at school and it's re-kindled my need play again (after not touching a bass for 31 years) and it's make a difference to my life.
I'm not in a band (well I practicing with some work friends to do a 1 off gig at our works party) but love playing after work to cds and my son is showing all the hallmarks of being a bassist rather than a 6 string guitarist as he naturally plays the melodies in songs and is quite good at it, I'll let him find his way to the light :D.

Anyhow have fun!

By the way liked you site.

Cheers
[/quote]

Hi, Yepmop! What a nice post. It's great that your son is playing guitar at such a young age, and it's even more neat that it inspired you, too! I'm really glad for you. :) I hope you both continue. I tend to get restless if I can't pick up my guitar, so I can't imagine going years without playing it. However, I don't think my husband has that same love of music since he isn't too interested in just playing bass at home? I've only heard him play it twice in the four years I've been here. I've bought him Billy Sheehan tutorials, John Entwistle videos, etc... all hoping to inspire him; and, although he thoroughly enjoyed them, it just didn't motivate him. I have to respect his choice, it's difficult for him to feel motivated if he's always feeling stressed by life's circumstances. But at least your story gives me some hope. So I really appreciate you sharing your post about you and your son. Thanks!