Why become a member? ×

5 string players - what gauge strings do you use?

TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1340841990' post='1710531']
I'm sold! Dunno what to do with the D'addarios though? They only did a 2 hour studio session last week, but obviously I cut them to fit my bass (3+2 headstock), so I can't really sell them......
[/quote]

Keep em as spares. I used Roto's for a bit but quickly came back. That tone your enjoying won't last, that's if one doesn't snap whilst tuning. :D
That's my experience with em anyway.

Aching hands though? Careful dude. If things get too tough during a song and it's just rehearsal, back off and shake off when you can.
RSI / Carpel Tunnel LOVES to jump you at those moments. Few years ago I was minding my own business when all of a sudden...BOOM my hand stopped working and pain shot all over...RSI from nowhere. 2 months healing and THEN getting them back to strength after.

I actually use 50 - 110 on my 4 string and have never encountered any pain. I do however on my 5 string with lighter gauge strings because i haven't set it up properly! Most of the time you get more pain due to the action being too high, than using too heavy a gauge... Remember, on a properly setup bass you can achieve a much lower action with heavy gauge strings! :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340900657' post='1711326']Remember, on a properly setup bass you can achieve a much lower action with heavy gauge strings! :)
[/quote]

That's what the general census seems to say...Yet I always seem to be the other way round?
Hmmm but then again, maybe it's technique?
Take my Yamaha TRB6II...very well made bass so the fretwork is fantastic (although the years are beginning to show).
Last gauge was .25 .45 .65 .85 .105 .135, action pretty damn low. Now I've gone back to .30 .45 .65 .80 .100 .130 I can get it lower, same on my cheaper basses, whereas before the string would always catch a higher fret.
other than tension...I do wonder the physics behind this.

But yeah, high action causing pain? Unless your playing some sloooooow Blues lines or something it's not worth keeping action high any more. More wear on hands.
Oh and a random note...also cause of hand pain? Too much Vitamin A...True story. :-P

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1340900050' post='1711307']

Keep em as spares. I used Roto's for a bit but quickly came back. That tone your enjoying won't last, that's if one doesn't snap whilst tuning. :D
That's my experience with em anyway.

Aching hands though? Careful dude. If things get too tough during a song and it's just rehearsal, back off and shake off when you can.
RSI / Carpel Tunnel LOVES to jump you at those moments. Few years ago I was minding my own business when all of a sudden...BOOM my hand stopped working and pain shot all over...RSI from nowhere. 2 months healing and THEN getting them back to strength after.
[/quote]

I'll have to see how the Rotos wear, I haven't used them for donkeys years but I seem to remember them dulling quickly. I don't see why any stainless steel string shouldn't last for ages! I just wish D'addario did the same gauge in the Prosteels, but maybe I'll just have to give the set with the 75 and 95 a go after all.

I don't usually have a problem with aching hands really, and I'm always concious of my technique and hand position and well aware of carpel tunnel, etc. It's just sometimes, depending on what I'm playing and for how long, I might get a little discomfort. For instance, last week in the studio, one track we recorded has a pretty busy walking bassline where my left hand is at full stretch for almost the entire song. 3 takes and those heavier gauge D'addarios meant that my hand was starting to hurt a bit!

Very interesting that the lightest gauge I've seen in this topic is 35. My teacher uses 30, 50, 70, 90, 110 steel Elites on his Geoff Chapman 5 string and I've strung my Spector Performer with the same gauge nickelwounds (Rotobass/Elite mix). Even with a Badass V it took a while to get used to but I'm being taught to play with the lightest touch possible on a super low action and now the strings are worn in, it's heaven to play.

On my Ray 35 I've got super slinky's which are OK but I might just try the same gauge on that too because I don't enjoy playing it as much as the Spector even though it's a far superior bass.

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1340972198' post='1712242']
Very interesting that the lightest gauge I've seen in this topic is 35. My teacher uses 30, 50, 70, 90, 110 steel Elites on his Geoff Chapman 5 string and I've strung my Spector Performer with the same gauge nickelwounds (Rotobass/Elite mix). Even with a Badass V it took a while to get used to but I'm being taught to play with the lightest touch possible on a super low action and now the strings are worn in, it's heaven to play.

On my Ray 35 I've got super slinky's which are OK but I might just try the same gauge on that too because I don't enjoy playing it as much as the Spector even though it's a far superior bass.
[/quote]

I have once strung my 5 string up with a high C (25) gauge on top
so it was tuned E A D G C
Sounded really nice kinda made me want a 6 string for a while ha

Edited by [email protected]

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1340934160' post='1711788']
Oh and a random note...also cause of hand pain? Too much Vitamin A...True story. :-P
[/quote]

+10000

I was on acne medication that was basically high amounts of Vitamin A and it made all my joints ache incredibly. It also causes muscle breakdown. I was advised not to exercise or even play bass for about a year!

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1340934160' post='1711788']
That's what the general census seems to say...Yet I always seem to be the other way round?
Hmmm but then again, maybe it's technique?
Take my Yamaha TRB6II...very well made bass so the fretwork is fantastic (although the years are beginning to show).
Last gauge was .25 .45 .65 .85 .105 .135, action pretty damn low. Now I've gone back to .30 .45 .65 .80 .100 .130 I can get it lower, same on my cheaper basses, whereas before the string would always catch a higher fret.
other than tension...I do wonder the physics behind this.

But yeah, high action causing pain? Unless your playing some sloooooow Blues lines or something it's not worth keeping action high any more. More wear on hands.
[/quote]

I agree, I seem to be able to get a lower action with the lighter gauge strings (although I don't actually measure my action). I know technically you should be able to get it lower with heavier gauge strings because the increased string tension = less travel of the string when plucked, but I find that i want to hit the heavier strings harder to get the response I want whereas with the lighter gauge I can play much lighter and get the response I want. It also just feels like there's less tension in the neck, which seems to help too.

So far so good, the neck needed quite a hefty adjustment but thats no problem with a Ray ;) I think the B has a better feel and become more of a playable string rather than just for giving people bowel movements! The smaller 2 strings cant hurt having a bit more meat on them and I cant feel that much difference that it would throw me out, as for the E&A well I have been playing 80&100 there for years anyway.

Wedding gig tomorrow night, if it goes well I will sell my spare pack of pink ones and buy 2 sets of green ones, (other Ray5 and a spare set for the gig bag).

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340977952' post='1712352']
+10000

I was on acne medication that was basically high amounts of Vitamin A and it made all my joints ache incredibly. It also causes muscle breakdown. I was advised not to exercise or even play bass for about a year!
[/quote]

It is a little known fact, so I'm made aware.
So many on medication etc fall under this...and as a musician your quite likely to hit it.
Many using their joints for a while take to Cod Liver Oil...nothing wrong with that...Then they also take multivitamins...Cod Liver Oil already has 100% RDA of Vitamin A, add the other 100% Vitamin A in the multivitamins and over the space of a week you'll start feeling the effects of toxicity.
This makes many believe they have arthritis when in fact, it's their "daily supplements" having a negative effect. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently fitted a set of SIT Power Wound Nickel strings (NR545125L) G 45, D 65, A 85, E 105 and B 125 to my 5-string. I'd previously been using Elite Medium Vs, (G 40, D 60, A 80, E 100 and B125), but I was hugely impressed by the SITs that were fitted to my ACG J-Bass when I bought it. They're really toppy, but they still have a well-defined bottom end and don't lose their brightness as quickly as Rotosounds or Elites seem to do.

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1340374460' post='1703610']
Depending on the scale length and tension, I tend to go between DR 40-120 or 45-125. I like these gauges because they don't have a ridiculous B string, and there is consistency as all strings step up by the same amount. Unless you've got a 5 string with issues I don't really understand putting a telephone wire across the fingerboard (Massive novelty B string), and it not being relative to the rest of the strings.. 5 strings tend to have a different feel to the tension in the neck (obviously-more strings!) so it can be tricky getting the tension/sound you are happy with.
[/quote]

+1

Now using 40,60,80,100,120 sets. Going for a lighter gauge for 2 reasons. On a 35" scale bass, it means that string tension is perhaps closer to a 34" inch scale, but mainly because I think you get a better tone on the B string with a lighter scale non-tapered string. Similar to a taper core string, you get a better string break over the bridge (and nut too), so the string vibrates more freely from bridge to nut. However, IMO better than taper-core string which tends to vibrate too freely, clattering against the frets etc.
So IME, for better B string tone (or at least consistent with the other strings), less is more. However, not all strings are created equal, so the brand of string seems to make as much difference as anything else. At the moment I'm using Dunlop nickel sets, with consistent results on all the basses I've put them on. DR have been good (Dunlop are as good but cheaper, hence not using DRs). Elixir Nanoweb were good, but not sure if available in my preferred gauge, and again are on the expensive side.

After using ZOG set in 4-string, I bought D'addario string with these gauges to my 34" scale 5-string.

G - .040 - 15,28 kg (gauge - string tension)
D - .055 - 15,74 kg
A - .075 - 17,24 kg
E - .105 - 18,28 kg
B - .145 - 18,82 kg

I like the feel of the strings and as few my friends have tried the bass, they have been wondering how come they haven't ever think strings this way. Had few minor problems at the beginning to get used to the set but now I wont change back to ready sets with horribly floppy, bad sounding B-string.

Edited by pahaeno

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342799288' post='1741225']
I use .175 on my 6string babe.
[/quote]

Surely it must pick up superfast broadband? :P
[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1342823989' post='1741716']
Holy s#%t! I didn't even know you could get a string that thick!
[/quote]

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1343050170' post='1744286']
[color=#000080]Yea [b]175, 135, 105, 85, 65, 45[/b]. That's a killer set that works freakin' perfect for my tone. I used to play 135s but when switched to 175s .. [/color]
[color=#000080]My goodness it was like driving Harley after Yamaha[/color]
[/quote]

Wow! And I felt that .045" - .135" was too heavy for me! What tuning are you using?

[color=#000080]135s are cool gauge. Sound powerful enough (depends what music your band play).[/color]
[color=#000080]Have been playing it for a while. Then decided to magnify the tone and it worked.[/color]
[color=#000080]I use a bit special tuning that is most convenient for me. [/color]
[color=#000080][b]Bb – C – G – C – F – Bb[/b][/color]