Why become a member? ×

Amps - Help !

BassMan94

Hi

So Im going to gather some dosh in the next couple of weeks and now instead of buying another bass :D I'm going to get an amp that doesn't buzz like the one that I have now. I just needed a few things clearing up

I just need someone to explain to me that

If i buy a amp head right, how would I calculate what cabs would be able to work with it ? (Very dumb question)

Also what's all of this with Ohms etc etc

Thing is Ive only used amps that had everything built in you know like the ashdown ones etc. So I haven't a clue when taking it all apart.

If someone could clear it all up for me I'd be grateful :rolleyes:

why not just fix the buzzing one you have now?

pretty much any head will work with any cab. If I am wrong and something goes pop don't sue me.
Ohms is the resistance of the speakers in the cab. An amp might put out 300w with an 8ohm cab, but if you used a 4ohm cab it would have less to push against so you would get more power.

why not just fix the one you have?

Unless the technical stuff turns you on....

If your amp only goes to 4 ohm (and 99.9% do) that means you can connect 1 x 8 ohm cab, 2 x 8 ohm cabs or 1 x 4 ohm cab. That's all.

Make sure that the watts rating (as listed on the back of the cabs) exceeds the maximum watts output of the amp.

If you are running 1 x 8 ohm cab and find you need more volume get another (similar) cab.

If you need more volume and you’re already running the maximum number of cabs, it's time to upgrade to a more powerful amp. Check that your cabs are still ok for the new amp.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340186353' post='1700508']
Unless the technical stuff turns you on....

If your amp only goes to 4 ohm (and 99.9% do) that means you can connect 1 x 8 ohm cab, 2 x 8 ohm cabs or 1 x 4 ohm cab. That's all.

Make sure that the watts rating (as listed on the back of the cabs) exceeds the maximum watts output of the amp.

If you are running 1 x 8 ohm cab and find you need more volume get another (similar) cab.

If you need more volume and you’re already running the maximum number of cabs, it's time to upgrade to a more powerful amp. Check that your cabs are still ok for the new amp.
[/quote]

+1 good explanation

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1340184774' post='1700454']
pretty much any [i][b]solid state [/b][/i]head will work with any cab.
[/quote]

Corrected that for you. ;) Obviously at this stage of the game valve heads are unlikely to come into the equation, but this distinction could be very important further down the line.

As chris b said really. Only thing I`d add is, what type of band are you playing with, and what set-up - as in, is it rock, metal, country, how many amplified instruments, and what are they. From there, this should give an idea of the power that is not necessarily needed, but what won`t be suitable.

Just a note that you don't HAVE to use a cab with more power handling than the amp can put out, safe to, but for a long while I've used a more powerful amp than the speaker rating, still am, just don't go nuts with it.

(Even when I did nothing really happened, didn't sound great so the going nuts didn't last long anyway, but the volume I need is within the capabilities of amp and cab.)