Why become a member? ×

Buckeye Burl Yann 5 strings NT + Yann bass handmade 100%

Bassmachine

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1340795584' post='1709637']
Not really - all you need to know is that there is no such thing as tonewood and the wood makes no difference to the sound of the bass.

There. I've saved you three hours.

;) ;) ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for saving my time,
but all i need to know is allready in my experience,i'm no youngster,and as i wrote before i'm a luthier,
not someone who does the job with the instructions of the mass industrie,and i can get any wanted sound without the need of any active cirquits...
Well,it's eather my skills....or the woods,hmmm...or both! (and i don't mean me only,but every other luthier who really does the job,
electrics or acoustics,basses or guitars,no matter).

-The reason i want to read that thread,is i want(ed) to see how this "war" (between wood "believers" and "non believers") is doin in the UK.
Now i know there's no difference with Greece,i'm a member in a Greek music forum,and i allready gave my local "battles" about it,i've even challenged
professors of physics about it,and guess what.....they really can't answer my questions...(but i can,answer any of their questions too,unless theories or math i've never studied)! I've offered my woods,my (private) workshop and myself for ANY experiment about this issue.
Yes,they stepped back....
(I might not make it in English,it's is not my language,and i've never studied anything but praxis!)

-Here's a common question:
Why instruments from the same series,all with same parts,woods,even same finish sound different?
Some players hear no difference at all between exactly same models,...

-...here's an answer to them:
Every healthy human ear can hear the same spectrum of frequencies.But not every brain can analyse this incoming info.This is a nature's gift,can't be teached...
This difference makes a good or bad sound engineer,luthier,producer,whoever works with sound,including players who really know what they want for their playing style(s).
Talking about differencies,it's details that make them...

What i know about people who don't accept that woods matter in electric sound,is they eather can't understand the details in sound,or....
they have interest NOT to accept it (mass production makers,untalented "builders",untalented players, etc..)

-I never said that woods sound.Strings sound!
What i say (and make it praxis everytime i make an inst) is that woods RESPOND (or not) to the string vibes,each single piece with another way,
and different frequencies in different levels (even different tonality) cut in exactly same mass from the same log,one (by width,by length it's well known) to the next.
Here's an example with ebony:

[media]http://youtu.be/y8oyi3yg1rE[/media]

Anyway,sorry for the "offtopic",this thread is about Bassmachine's unique bass,not wood's sound properties or anykind of "defness"! ;)

edit: P.s: There's another thing i'd like to say here:
People have to understand someday,the difference between "handmade" and "handcrafted",it's quite big.....

Edited by yann

[quote name='yann' timestamp='1340923562' post='1711730']
Thanks for saving my time,
but all i need to know is allready in my experience,i'm no youngster,and as i wrote before i'm a luthier,
not someone who does the job with the instructions of the mass industrie,and i can get any wanted sound without the need of any active cirquits...
Well,it's eather my skills....or the woods,hmmm...or both! (and i don't mean me only,but every other luthier who really does the job,
electrics or acoustics,basses or guitars,no matter).

-The reason i want to read that thread,is i want(ed) to see how this "war" (between wood "believers" and "non believers") is doin in the UK.
Now i know there's no difference with Greece,i'm a member in a Greek music forum,and i allready gave my local "battles" about it,i've even challenged
professors of physics about it,and guess what.....they really can't answer my questions...(but i can,answer any of their questions too,unless theories or math i've never studied)! I've offered my woods,my (private) workshop and myself for ANY experiment about this issue.
Yes,they stepped back....
(I might not make it in English,it's is not my language,and i've never studied anything but praxis!)

-Here's a common question:
Why instruments from the same series,all with same parts,woods,even same finish sound different?
Some players hear no difference at all between exactly same models,...

-...here's an answer to them:
Every healthy human ear can hear the same spectrum of frequencies.But not every brain can analyse this incoming info.This is a nature's gift,can't be teached...
This difference makes a good or bad sound engineer,luthier,producer,whoever works with sound,including players who really know what they want for their playing style(s).
Talking about differencies,it's details that make them...

What i know about people who don't accept that woods matter in electric sound,is they eather can't understand the details in sound,or....
they have interest NOT to accept it (mass production makers,untalented "builders",untalented players, etc..)

-I never said that woods sound.Strings sound!
What i say (and make it praxis everytime i make an inst) is that woods RESPOND (or not) to the string vibes,each single piece with another way,
and different frequencies in different levels (even different tonality) cut in exactly same mass from the same log,one (by width,by length it's well known) to the next.
Here's an example with ebony:

[media]http://youtu.be/y8oyi3yg1rE[/media]

Anyway,sorry for the "offtopic",this thread is about Bassmachine's unique bass,not wood's sound properties or anykind of "defness"! ;)

edit: P.s: There's another thing i'd like to say here:
People have to understand someday,the difference between "handmade" and "handcrafted",it's quite big.....
[/quote]

:) you need to start making instruments again. export them to germany and the uk :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1340924498' post='1711738']
:) you need to start making instruments again. export them to germany and the uk :D
[/quote]
:) Thanks,but i just can't do it in Gr,wrong country,wrong time to start such a bussiness...
Talking bout Germany,it's my "second country" and where i've learned the job,but i'm in Gr too long,and giving up a lifeto make a new start ain't easy...

I think i gotta post again here,
maybe on-off topic (up to the mods-admin),
after what i've wrotten about me,and what i've heard today that Cameron said,something like:
"If Greece goes out of the Eurozone,our borders will be shut for Greeks"....
Well,i know Greeks don't have a good reputation lately,and Cameron deffinately doesn't like us,here's my answer to him:

-SOME Greeks,could offer a lot to your country buddy,we don't all live in the middleages,you loose...
Let's not forget,it's never the people,it's always the elites... ;-)

-About what i've posted before in this thread,talking for myself as a maker,and your critics here,after a lot of thinking i decided to go on with the job,
but not in Greece,and as a co-worker,not a bussinessman.
So,i added a post to my fb and myspace pages,seeking serious job in Germany,UK,and US west coast,giving up my life and what i own here for goin'on with the job.

But after this,i'm sorry to say i've excluded the UK.
-Germany and frau Merkel does about the same,but i've lived there and it's my second country, got my friends and "my circle",i know the mentality,
i can fight racism with them if important,like the good old times!
-"The egg of the snake" is cracked in Greece too,you might have heard about the "Golden Dawn",and the huge number of illegal immigrants here,
well,i don't wanna be a foreigner in a country full of skinheads...

-Talking about US west coast,it's the ultimate place for a musician or luthier,and...US is built by immigrants,lots of Greeks too...
Let's see how easy it is to get a job there,cause it's well known this job is got a lot of speculators,and i'm absolutely serious,looking far to my life's oldest times. ;-)
-Allready wrote to a known German brand,expecting an answer.

Anyway,i know that not all people agree with Cameron,but what if this propaganda awakes racism against Greeks worse than it allready is?
I never go where i ain't wellcome...

-Music is an international language,musicians have no country,know no borders.Politicians do.
That's my mind,i might be wrong allthough...

Greetings everyone,Best Regards from the land of the living dead...

Guys,
It's a bit much when someone comes on here to show us all a very nicely put together hand made Bass and all some people can do is take the piss for using a truss rod cover from something else and of the shelf pick ups.
Yann....dude, I wish I had a quarter of your skill mate.
As far as racism towards the Greeks goes I'm pretty sure you won't find any on here....thankfully
Some people seem to want to find Kudos in taking the piss but hey, the majority on here have the capacity to and will admire what you have done.
Beautiful looking Bass there !!

Kennyrodg,
thanks a lot for your words!
well,in general the "atmosphere" is nice in this forum,i took a look at other topics too (as much as i can due to time i can spend in the net)!!
i can't tell how theese posts about the tr cover and pu's are taken by others,but seemed quite humourus to me,no problem! :)
Well,writing ain't easy,can be easyly mistaken,not like talking...therefor i like using "smilies" everytime i'm humourus,and that's what i suggest to others too! ;)
Anyway,i'd like to help where i can be usefull here,i just hope to have the time for this!
-Btw,this is a 'homemade" bass,mostly worked on the kitchen marble and old furniture,i sometime gotta write about it,and upload some pics,
might help any d.i.y. guys out there! ;)

Edited by yann

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1341559768' post='1720826']
Guys,
It's a bit much when someone comes on here to show us all a very nicely put together hand made Bass and all some people can do is take the piss for using a truss rod cover from something else and of the shelf pick ups.
Yann....dude, I wish I had a quarter of your skill mate.
As far as racism towards the Greeks goes I'm pretty sure you won't find any on here....thankfully
Some people seem to want to find Kudos in taking the piss but hey, the majority on here have the capacity to and will admire what you have done.
Beautiful looking Bass there !!
[/quote]

Hang on old son, only a couple of people did that, it's turned into a very interesting thread as it happens.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341608676' post='1721899']
Hang on old son, only a couple of people did that, it's turned into a very interesting thread as it happens.
[/quote]

Fair doo's, but I guess it get's my goat when folk take the piss after he's taken the effort to show it us, laid bare his soul and all that. I did say "some" people tho'.
Anyway :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1341612205' post='1721943']
Fair doo's, but I guess it get's my goat when folk take the piss after he's taken the effort to show it us, laid bare his soul and all that. I did say "some" people tho'.
[/quote]

I completely agree. My hackles rose at some of the childish comments too.

Excuse my late response,
but i'm on wifi lately,i can post only when i have the time for a coffee or drink,and wifi ain't everywhere in Gr...

-Talking about pu's here,
the bridge one of this bass is the Seymour Duncan SJB-5,a 5 string blade pu that suits 4 stringers too.It's a "flat response",moderate output one,used here as mid-output due to the series-split-parallel switching i always use.(great for pick styles).
Since the cavity was already routed for 5s,and i'm a Duncan fan,i chose this one so i didn't have to touch the cavity...

My problem was that i like bying what i need right from the shelf,not waiting for the post,
Duncan's dealer in Greece didn't have anything that i could use,especially some mid-out in a P shape,(this pu is only J-J).
Except this,there was "an issue" between us (me and the dealer,i don't know why i've always been kind to them),and when i decided to use the SPB-2 (my "taste" from this series) they just didn't have it and "they didn't import" so i HAD to buy the SPB-3 they had in dosens...
I refused that "force",(well,i'm quite reactive) and thought to look for something else...
The only pu i found "on the shelf" was the Split P of DiMarzio,not a nice choice for a two pu bass,made for precisions,has no match too.
But with a proper install,(Split-P far from the strings,SJB near them) the bass didn't play that bad,the sound was quite clear in mid position,
and the "character" was ok to my taste and the character of the woods,but...

...the Split-P is a very responsive pu,and the loudness of the notes was low at the first frets,and high at the last ones...
I had to take care of my dynamics while playing or use a "pushed" compressor,a thing i don't like,kills any expression of the player...
Anyway,i ain't no player no more since 1997,i only played sometimes at home,so i was quite "covered" for some home-recording too.
(the 2 tracks at my "myspace" page,home recordings-remakes of my two buddies KimaniStar and J.Haschkeks are recorded with this set-up of the bass,and the 3rd "housetrack" has a little solo at the mid-part that was my first attempt to record with it,the rest bassline is synth).

Since Stavros (Bassmachine) owned the bass,we decided to install the SPB-3,it's in his playing style,not as "mid" as the SPB-2 that was the choice for me,and that's when the bass 'spoke" the most in his hands!
-We kept the mid-output and switching for the bridge pu,and "balanced" them as much as possible (SPB-3 is hot too),
and the result made both of us happy,him as a player,me as the maker!!

-When this bass was mine,it was "natural finished",neck and body,cause i'm nuts with oiled and waxed necks,i don't like varnish on them,
so i did the same for the body too.But this matte surface didn't show the best for the looks of the inst,so i sanded the (4 year old wax) away,
and clearcoated with nitrocellulose,my favorite body finish,wich i didn't do at 2007 when made the bass for me.
The result is in the pics uploaded by Stavros,and still have to dismantle again and highgloss polish when the nitro's ready for it (takes time to really,chemicaly dry).

-Here's a 2008 or 09 when the bass was still mine! :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1341968750' post='1727305']
For reference Yann, don't listen too closely to Cameron. After all, we don't ;)

A great little thread this, I've enjoyed reading through it :)
[/quote]
-Haha,well i don't really do!
I know politicians come and go,he ain't got much time left i believe...but It's that kind of propaganda that stays...
They did about the same in Gr a few years ago,about the way the British tourists make their fun while clubbing...i've been a dj for a long time,i've worked and partied with them,and i know well that what media and politicians were talking about wasn't real,or they were too dumm to understand...;)

-I've enjoyed entering the forum too!So different than the Greek ones! :)
-Thank you Stavros buddy! (i didn't know about it's excistance,i don't surf enough i guess,and Fb takes the most of my net time!)

i'll be happy to answer to any questions (if i can),but i don't know how long it will take me to answer,i'm on wifi only!
-Cheers everyone,i'm having a nice tequila in a beach cafe-bar right now! :)

No problem Yann. All the best, and sorry bassmachine, nice bass!
Looks like Yann slotted the board by eye. Respect. I did a fair few like that but couldn't trust myself to get it exact enough and eventually moved on to steel templates.
Cool detail at the end of the fretboard. Nice finish too.

Thanks guys ....I believe that the only thing that make Yann unique is that he can feel the wood and know what result he will have and what frequencies can the bass have......I must thanks a friend Dimitrios Malegas who told about the existence of this great luthier (and very good person indeed).If anyone come in Greece I'm located in Athens we can meet and play this bass just to learn about Yann bass sound.

Jon,
freehand slotting is just a question of practice,in combination with the right saw!
I've been doin this on 10-20 fretboards per day while working for a mass production bouzouki maker (ouch!) with a "normal" saw...
(That's a quite not easy job,on insts that don't have a trussrod,and that role play the hardness of the fretboard and the tightness the frets are installed,giving a backbow to the board that should come to the right curve when the strings are on and stay there -always with the hammer in method,and this should hold the string tension till the end of the ftrets' life.For all those insts of course (except classical guitars made to play with low tension strings-the players choice) there is a little buzz at the first frets,till the woods are used and balance to the
string tension-wood resistance,might take a few weeks to some monhts for steel string insts).

What i use the last years is a handmade japanese fretsaw for classical guitars,suits perfectly for all jumbo frets too, ([url="http://www.dick.biz"]www.dick.biz[/url])
but can't be self sharpened,has to go to Japan for this.Mid class price,will cut up to 5-6 real hard ebony boards,still sharp enough,but the teeth "close in" and the slot is tighter,cause it's a 'later tecnology" double side teethed one (hehe,i can't describe it anyhow else).

Plus,it's a pull only saw,this helps to see the markline to be cut,
cause the sided teeth cut right out of the sides of the markline for the first moves!
-Another thing about handslotting,is "warm" the hand by using a more "difficult" wood than the one to be cut,i use wenge due to it's very hard-very soft grain exchange (black: hard,light brown: soft) that "brakes down" the hand,ebony feels like butter after it (even grained woods are easier,even if they're harder).

I got a closeup pic of the job somewhere in my desktop pc,i'll search and upload sometime later,a pic says all better than my description!
In this picture here,is Stavros' fretboard back in 2007 when cut.The saw and the wenge test-warmup piece are still somehow visible.
(just downloaded it from Fb,i got the original size,i'll reupload later too). :)

-Stavro,you're a big hearted hairy buzzybear....

-As Dimitrios Malegas is mentioned,i gotta say he might be known to some forum members,as he worked in Uk's known studios,
and owned The Cave Studio in the Uk.Guitar player in some bands too! Owns the Millenium Studio (Athens,Gr) today.
Good friend and a great sound artist to me! :)

The idea of warming up with heavy grained wood is interesting. Fretting 10 boards a day has got to hurt. I also used to use the japanese pull saw. I like templates because it cuts out all the careful measuring but the idea of not relying on such things I find appealing once again. I may revert to the old ways for some models, at least the lined fretless until I'm confident.

I agree about the template too,
when you have to work professionaly,and make more than one instrument per...year or two (or more,like i do)!
(some Greek productive makers do use it,others would "kick you out of the job" if as a worker ask for such a tool!)

Well,it's a kind of insurance that something going wrong is minimized with it.Especially when the workpiece is an order,
and the player is waiting for it.If something goes wrong with the freecut,means new fretboard,loss of worktime,plus the precious piece of wood,
as we all makers know...
I would use templates,for this reason,if i was a custom maker working with modells too!

-I attach the pics as i said,for members who can't really know what we're talking about!
-Last pic is from a toolstore in the center of Athens i used to work for...imagine working in such a "paradise",
but the salary (of a salesman that i was there,in a country like Gr) ain't enough (living comes first)
to buy all theese beauties!!(there was much more inside).
Well,i did buy a lot of tools (most of them expandable such as files and saws),
and i'm still their friend and customer! :)

-edit: Hmm,i edited the pics for easy upload low mb's but in full size,i see they appear too small..anyway they're still visible!

Edited by yann

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!! :santa:

Recalling this thread,cause we got changes here...
The Yannbass is back to it's dad (moi),and Stavros (Bassmaschine) got my newest one (and maybe the last),called "El Chupacabras"!
Well,it's on another level than the Yannbass,so Stavros upgraded,and me...hehe..downgraded! :biggrin:
-The chupas is an ash body,maple/wallnut neckthrough one,with Redwood venier for the top,and S,Duncan's "Hawkbuckers" pus,
made by MJ herself at the customshop...

Well,the world goes round and round...! :)

-Picture can't be uploaded,i tried all i could....

Edited by yann

• 6 months later...

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1341612205' post='1721943']
[/quote]
Indeed, "smart arsery" seems to be on the increase on this forum and personally I am finding it increasingly unpleasant and tedious.

Beautiful bass and a great story. Greece as a country may be suffering at the moment however we should never ever lose sight of the wonderful people that Greece always produced...and continues to produce.